Cambodia's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Cambodia? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Cambodia's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Cambodia would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I have been to many countries in Europe, Asia and Africa.

Every country in the world has some unique features and traditions which make you enjoy staying there and Cambodia is on of those countries.

To be honest, I am almost one year in Cambodia , but I do not feel as I am away from my home country.

People are friendly , kind hearted , socialized and loving.

In general Cambodia is a nice place to leave and enjoy the traditional as well as modern life.

Living costs are much more reasonable and that means , every body comes here can afford it.

Some of the expensive cities in Cambodia are Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoville, Kep and Battam Bong.

In last but not least, really enjoying staying and life and Cambodia and would suggest you to visit once in life!

There must be something about Cambodia.

I have yet to visit the country's other places besides Phnom Penh (of course) and Siem Reap (of course, too). In the latter, though, I just spent a day and a night there.

Hence, I have no way of providing direct, much less exact, answers to your queries.

Nonetheless, I still take the time to contribute my two cents worth on this topic just so I could share my personal impression about the Pearl of Asia, which pretty much sums up the opening statement: There's something about Cambodia.

Why are people from different places around the world arriving in the country -- and arriving in droves?

Why would young couples from some First World countries choose to leave their lives behind and find their own spot on earth here in which to build their budding families?

Why would retirees spend their time and resources whiling away in some verandas of houses fronting the Riverside, usually a bottle of beer on one hand and eyes gazing in the distance?

Why would teachers from the so-called developed world ply their trade here and not there?

Why would short-term vacationers switch their plans to long-term after having a taste of the place? You must have known of fellow expats who scamper to trade their tourist visa for a retirement visa. Or they'd fly out for home after a month's visit only to return here and stay for good.

The list is endless.

Why then?

Because there's something about Cambodia.

And that "something" differs from one expat to the other.

I know that you know what that "something" is -- for you.

Care to share?

Well for me it's all about the kind people , simple , hard to find people like this , I too have traveled , but never met kinder people than the Khmer people

I fully agree with you, sir.

I come from a country known for our hospitable, humble, optimistic and happy people. But to my own estimation, we lag behind from the Khmers in these respects.

Well I already know your not from USA , what country are you from sounds like I would like to visit!

I'm from the Philippines, sir.

If you've not been there yet, it may be worth taking a trip to our place sometime.

There are affordable direct flights from Siem Reap to Manila or, if you wish, Siem Reap to Cebu where clean beaches, bars and amenities of an urban living abound -- without abandoning the "rurality" of the place. It's like a convergence of the rural and the urban. From Cebu, you can take short trips (via fast seacraft) to neighboring islands like Bohol, Dumaguete or Negros that also boast of their own tourist destinations.

I wouldn't recommend certain places in Mindanao because of peace and order issues. But anywhere in Luzon and Visayas, no problem at all.

Cebu Pacific Air has regular flights in these routes every other day, if I'm not mistaken.

If not, I've got friends back home who are into travel and tours business and who can assist you as to your every need should you decide to visit the country. They will see to it that your trip there will be hassle-free, affordable and memorable.

(Forgive my attempt at a marketing pitch to you hehehe.)

Hey you know I really appreciate this, to be honest I've heard it's dangerous, but then I'm from the USA , so people don't realize our cities are really dangerous! You could get killed in Los Angeles, and anywhere in big city in USA for your shoes, So the Philippines  intrigues me, thank you I took a screen shot, I'm a single traveler so it's great information, good luck on your journey, I love Cambodia I must admit, I might not be the best advice here, but after three years here , I love it even more I'm in Phnom Penh, but there are many nice places in this country, once again luck to you!

Thanks very much for your well wishes for me sir twinsguy20!

I badly need that kind of support, especially now that the days are passing by so fast and I have yet to find employment -- my resources are dwindling fast, too.

I'm dead set to stay here for the long haul if I'm able to land a decent job very soon. For me, Phnom Penh is the place to be -- even better than where I come from. So, the decision to remain here is a no-brainer.  A steady income is just the remaining element to complete the whole picture.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will finally nail it the soonest time possible. Otherwise, I got no other choice but to pack up my stuff and head for home.

I have spent time in The Philippines and would NOT rate it as dangerous .... okay, go anywhere in the world flashing your cash and expensive gadgets and you will probably find someone wants them ..... the people are mostly charming and there are so many security guards around (in the cities) that you automatically feel safe. An individual can easily exist on $600 a month if not out eating every day (although eating out is cheap anyway).

The perception though that it is Paradise is wrong ....  driving is hazardous, litter is everywhere and many beaches are no good (dirty and/or too rocky).

But it is always warm (hot) and the sea is always nearby.

Where to go? Cebu, Davao, Dumaguete

No Noise, I certainly agree that there is "something about Cambodia". However, there's also something about it that turns quite a few people right off in a very short amount of time. It's like some (seem to) get the fairy dust and some the bucket of buffalo excrement  ;) 
It all starts with you really as your attitude and approach will govern how you deal with what the country may throw at you and whether you can deal with a lower level of development and infrastructure. The map showing how dark Cambodia is at night compared to its neighbors, for example, has been widely shared. I think it's great to still have a country like this. Who needs one more mall when the world's full of them already? Food tends to not grow in malls, I believe...

We've certainly gone OT, haven't we? Well, the original question doesn't really fit for such a small country with lacking diversity. Excepting Phnom Penh, you could live on the same amount in all the other remaining cities pretty much. Then you have places like Kep, which you'd be hard pressed to call a "city" in the first place (and that's a good thing). I love the rural character of the country, long may it last.

Did you get the job? :)

Hi Sir!

Unfortunately the answer is no. Still in the process of hunting for the seemingly elusive job.

Yes, pressure is building up by the day. But there's still some confidence left in me that I will make it here soon -- somehow. 👌👌👌

Thanks for asking!

twinsguy20 wrote:

Hey you know I really appreciate this, to be honest I've heard it's dangerous,

The Philippines can be dangerous.  However, most places you go - if you use basic common-sense - you will be fine.  I have been going to the Philippines for the past 43 yrs.  The improvements have been astounding in Cebu.  The greatest improvements have been in the overall security and safety of all its citizens and visitors due to the new get-tough attitude of its President.  Unless, you are selling or buying drugs you will be fine. :)

I like Cebu it is a relatively small island that has tons of people and things to do in the city (Cebu City) and many interesting smaller towns and cities to explore with many very nice beaches.  The Philippines is the third cheapest place I have been (Viet Nam and Thailand are cheaper).

I like Filipino food the best of any of the many places I have traveled.  Filipinos are generally very good or not worth a darn (in my humble opinion).  Most are hard-working and have a smile on their faces.

The language problem is not a large concern because most speak at least some English.

Regardless, if you can get to the Philippines I am sure you won't be disappointed.  If you are American, you get a 28-day visa automatically upon arrival.  They used to offer a 59 day tourist visa for free - but it had to gotten through and embassy BEFORE arrival.

Good luck!

Semper fi,

/Gary/

p.s. As always, I give the best info I have but things change so always double-check. ;)

Hi Sir!

Thanks for your glowing remarks about the Philippines!

Well, safety and security these days has become a personal preoccupation, meaning it depends on the individual's conduct and vigilance in the place he's in. As many of us would say, there's no safe place on earth these days. Others, on the other hand, would claim the opposite.

You can be in danger in the United States or Europe, but you can be safe in Afghanistan or Syria.

Safety and security then has become relative -- especially of late.