How to move to DR?

Hi everybody! I would like to ask your help, but first of all let me introduce myself.

My name is Marc, I'm 24 years old and I'm from Spain. I'm graduated in Business Administration and Law by the Autonomic University of Barcelona and I have 2 years of experiencie in jobs related to my field. Specifically, I've been working in audit, and currently I'm developing several projects in the fourth spanish bank in turnover.

Since I visited Dominican Republic for the first time, I fell in love with the people and the culture of the country, and I would really love to move and develop my professional career here. Moreover, my girlfriend lives in Santo Domingo.

This last months I've been searching information about how to get a job permission, and how to move legally to the country. As I have seen, It seems that I need a company that supports me and I need to have a contract to get a temporary residency.

The problem is that I've been searching in job portals (aldaba, computrabajo, tuempleord, linkedin...) and I've applied to many offers, but seems that there aren't companies disposed to hire a no resident. So, I need a contract to get the residency, but I need the residency to get a job.

I would like to ask you how you managed to get your first job in Dominican Republic as a foreigners. If you could give some advices, maybe where to search, or anything that could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your attention and your responses!

First off welcome.  Yes basically you need your residency and cedula to work here legally.  If you can get a company to hire you and have them help with your work visa that is great but very unlikely.  Second you can apply for a residency through normal channels like most of us did.  This can be $$$ and takes time.  You have to start the process in your home country.  Also know that jobs are hard to find here and the pay is usually quite low.
Good luck

Bob K

Thanks Bob! I thought that it was necesary to have a job in the country if you want to apply for the residency. Probably the requirements that appears in internet are more flexible in reality.

At least I can start with the papers in Spain and solve the problem with job finding later. I've seen you recommend attorneys in other topics. As a native spanish speaker, should I manage the process by myself to make it cheaper or is it better to have the assist of an expert?

Welcome to the forums. 

Even as a native speaker I dont recommend trying to do your residency yourself. The systems are worked from the "inside". Wilson Rood is a lawyer in SD and can help you. [email protected]

Getting a job does require a cedula and residency.  It is possible to get a company to sponsor you. Forget those job boards. Google companies in the DR - mostly the international ones - contact them directly. They are your best bet for sponsorship as are the timeshare sales companies.

If you have specific skill sets you might get sponsorship. Might!

Good.luck and keep us posted.

Thank you planner! I suspected that it's better to have someone expert in the process assisting you.

I'm going to try to contact with companies in DR as you has said. I'm not really optimistic about this possibility, but who knows.

Thanks both of you Bob and planner, I really appreciate your help.

No problem. Good luck

Bob K

Siempre!!!

Paperwork, Bureaucracy, red tape and lots of dollars to find out it might not be for you.

Try this approach; come for a visit, stay for 2-3 months, don't get a visa, pay the few dollars in overstay fees when you leave, get a job without pay (no law against that), in a company that could potentially help you in the more "legal" approach mentioned, that is if and when you have decided that is really what you want to do.  Just saying...

cheers,

So volunteer for a company then go home and get your paperwork in order. Kinda like that.

I've seen there are an intership called interdom that searches for you a company that fits in your profile and your interests, it costs about 2000-3000 usd for 3 months.

The only problem with this is that I'm afraid that at the end of the volunteer, the company doesn't hire me. But I'll keep searching for information because the internship is an interesting option.

For the moment, I've been emailing the spanish companies in the country in search of a job, but I haven't received any response. My next step is to send emails to all international companies.

As I see, I have 4 possibilities open at this moment:

- Obtain the sponsorship of a company, wich is becoming nearly impossible.

- Enter in an intership with a company searched by interdom... or by myself if I could manage to find one.

- Apply for a temporary residency and once I get it, start to look for a job in the country.

- Apply for a student visa. To study a master it's something I had planned for the future, once I established in the country with a "good" job, but if it's more affordable to get the visa student than the residency, I can go for this option and anticipate my studies. In this case I should check if I can work legally with this type of visa.

Thanks for your advices, you are giving me a lot of ideas and I really appreciate your help!

You are very welcome.