Living the life

So, from what I have gatherd, and I have done alot of home work. For a comfortable life of two years, it would cost between 8,000 and 9,000 US dollars. Thats pretty good. For a budgeted life style of two years, you could do it for 6,500 to 7,500 US. And thats still having a good time. Two years in the US would be triple that! Any input from you guys. Thanks....

Sorry bro, but you want to live in TL for $375.00 a month???  You would be staying in a rat hole eating rice and thats it.  Not doable, at all.  Not as inexpensive as you think.  Nice condo with a pool and some services is 600.00 to 1,000 a month.  Food, transportation, health, entertainment.  I believe (just me) that if you have any less then $3000.00 a month, dont go, you will be miserable.

Hey Rusty.
I should have been more specific. What about just North or South of Pattaya. Im finding flats for around 3000 to 3500 baht a month. Mind you, its not the taj Mahal, but its not slum worthy either. Neat and tidy one or two room, with everything you need. I can be surprisingly frugal when the need arises. Am i anywhere in the park yet?

Hey Robert,

I have been to Pattaya numerous times and I love it there.  But it's just not enough money to make it.  Lets look at a typical day, on the CHEAP, 3 dollars for a really low rent breakfast, 6 for the same lunch and dinner, that's $15.00 x 30 that's $450.00.  If you want to eat street food, knock off $100.00, but you will get sick of that quick!  In those flats you have to pay for your own electric, so if you want to fry and not run your AC that's another $25.00 a month.  Let's get right to it, entertainment.  You want a lady, well on your budget, no offense but good luck.  The world is a small place and TL has gotten expensive.  The most low rent skeeze is $30.00 short time.  Movies $4.00, haircuts, home supplies etc.  I'm telling you brother, unless you sit in your room all day and do nothing, you will never make it on $200.00 a month, minus your rent.  Even in some  village way up north in Issan you would suffer a fate worse then death on that kind of money.   3500 baht for rent, that leaves you with $250.00 to live.  Think about it, that leaves you with $8.30 a day.  Dude, I don't know what you've heard but that gets you subsistence food and that's it!  You get sick and need something from the 711, Pepto Bismol etc there is your daily allowance.  DONT DO IT on that budget, you'l be back in 2 weeks.

Wow! You have opened my eyes. Thanks so much... I'm  46 and have roughly 250,000 US. Im trying to make as long as i can. I have lived in Mindo, Ecuador for a year. Now that was cheap. But not my cup of tea. People were great. Just looking for a step up. I will reevaluate my plans, thanks to you. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the way things are now. I guess a few years ago, it was possible to make it on the cheap. I guess economics hits us all eventually. But hey, im still heading there in a month. What the hell... you only live once. Who knows, maybe  i'll see you in pattaya. First beer is on me.......✌

Robert, why Pattaya? Have you been there recently? Yes, check it out, you might just find something that works. I've seen people do okay with $2000-$1000 a month, but that's with some sort of emergency fund to back it up.

Hey Ruff,
Thanks for the info. Doesnt need to be Pattaya, just close. Going next month. What the hell, you only live once.......

While I tend to agree with RustyG, it must be said there are some hapless individuals living on your proposed budget.  They look like sad homeless people back home but there are people who choose to live like that.

I live in the middle of a rice paddy and would be hard pressed to last two months on your proposed budget of two years.  As long as you come with a return ticket back home and keep enough in reserve for the taxi to the airport, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't find out for yourself.  Some people just have to live and learn the hard way.

Robert, what you propose is doable if you have the mindset but I would not want to live lifestyle necessary to achieve that goal.

Have you given thought how you will legally remain in the country.  At age 46 all your visa options will take money away from your yearly budget.

A small reminder, the currency exchange rate has dropped from 35 to 33 this year so you must consider possible further declines.

Check this site for cost in Thailand:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … y=Thailand

On your budget you might take a look at Cambodia.

I like vilkagefarang's comments...  I could not make it more than 2 mths on that entire budget either...  someone must have given Robert the wrong perception of Thailand.

At minimum, if living frugal, it would still cost me $2,000 US per mth  I spend about $3,000 per mth plus extra for trips and any bar activities...

Kindly...

Rusty G . Your comment on a village in Isaan was pretty offensive. You ever been up here?.

Yes I have, no offense intended.  Your a little sensitive, aren't you sweetheart.

Hey, Robert:  Check out Scott Mallon on YouTube and go to his recent video called "Living in Bangkok with $500-$1000 a Month".  Scott is brutally honest.  He will break things down for you, so you will have a pretty clear idea of what to expect. I live back and forth between Toronto Canada and Bangkok Thailand and I have some favourite geographical locations that I like to hang out in both countries. My wife is Thai -- a hard working restaurant owner, chef, fine arts grad, my body guard and the main reason I can keep costs down when I am in Thailand. When we are in Canada, I return the favour to her.  (pardon some of the Canadian spelling).  So heads up, bro.  Double that amount re what you suggested in your post -- I think you might do OK, if you are wise -- $1000 USD a month after travel costs and health insurance and maybe you are covered when you make all of the considerations, but this is barely, and you will need a decent cash reserve and the wisdom to stay out of trouble on all fronts. You will have a wonderful time if you keep dealing with the real. Enjoy!   dcb

Thank you for the info, and the honesty, ive spoken to a couple of people who manage on 100 to 500 baht a day. I do plan on getting work, but i have heard that is not easy because the Thailand mindset is to keep the jobs for native people. Im still going to give it a try! I think the difference for me is im not looking for the time of my life, im looking to get away, or for lack of better words, fade into the crowd..... thanks again...........Rob

Robert, 100 baht is $3.03, can't live on that anywhere!!!  Be careful.

I would suggest going to a place where you can find work. You're still young.

100 baht a day on food for 2 meals if your portion is small. Drink water and no beer.

With regard to "fading into the crowd" In Thailand, which is what I have also been working on: If you hang out with the Thai citizen population . . . in the the hubs dominated by the citizens of Thailand, it will take a lot of practice, maybe even endless practice, to be able to fade into the crowd in a comfortable way.  We Farangs stand out quite noticeably from the rest of crowd.  But if you hang out with the expats and internationals, the whole crowd stands out together; so you would be able to fade into the crowd there -- Problem is they usually hang out at the bars (the community centres) where a lot of money gets spent over the course of a few days. If you hang out with a small group of knowledgeable expats, you might get by on a $800 USD a month -- not bad. However, if you are conserving money, if you are working on blending right in with the Thai citizens, you have to blend in with the working poor, maybe do your one month as a monk, too . . . to do as they do in their country. One of Thailand's biggest industries is tourism . . . In the eyes of the Thai citizens, we are business as usual. To really fit in, acquiring some survival Thai language skills helps the Farang to gain a more favourable and respectable position in the eyes of the Citizens of Thailand. I myself have been working on blending in -- When I live in Thailand, I live with my Thai wife  . . . I am the glowing visual minority in that burg, like I never see another Farang; and, if I do happen to cross paths with another Farang, we ignore each other. Lol. Two dudes trying to fade into the crowd but they spot each other right away -- a good example of the difficulty of fading into the crowd. Not possible. But what does happen, if the Thai Citizens know you are part of the community and maybe even traditionally married to one of their neighbours, they get used to you, but you are still quite the novelty -- There's no getting away from it. The payback for paying total respect to the nation, culture and people will be total respect in return. Learning where and how to place one's feet, and the mannerisms of body language will help one fade into the crowd. Have an excellent adventure!  Take care, enjoy and be well.  dcb

Hi David, your comments are true as westerners, Africans, middle eastern stands out among the locals very distinctly. It's like black and white colour next to each other.

If a westerner lives in a Thai community, you will find Thai guys below 50 years will try to chit chat with you. They feel good to talk to a westerner and tell their friends that they have a westerner friend. It's like to show off to their friends they can speak English and have a foreigner friend.

If a foreigner is fluent or manageable in Thai language, the ball is in another court and thais approach is different. Likewise if you are working and you know more of their lifestyle.

Interesting. Yes.  dcb

Rejoice wrote:

100 baht a day on food for 2 meals if your portion is small. Drink water and no beer.

Haha, we are thinking of the same video:
https://youtu.be/LwYQdw96B6A

Being an expat and to survive with 100 baht a day, I will not be in Thailand.

If you look carefully at the video, it's just 1 stick of grill pork with a pack of glutinous rice. He didn't buy a bottle of water. He travels on a bicycle. Can he do it regularly for years with the same food?

I don't know about others but if I moved to another country, I expect my quality of life to be better or at least at par with my life back home.

If I'm going to budget my expenses while living in a foreign country, then I'm out of my mind.

My philosophy is when one takes a shower, get all parts of body wet and scrub with soap and wash hair with shampoo. Not just wet and no soap and shampoo.

What is life when one needs to go on budget especially on decent meals?

I'm not suggesting that one dine in posh restaurant or expensive meal.

We all got 1 life and if we can't feed ourselves with decent meal and need to watch our budget then something is wrong.

A good meal at my wife's family run restaurant at the market in the Prawet suburb of Bangkok costs 40 baht + rice 10 baht = 50 baht.  dcb

Well to be honest, our OP said 100-500 B, the upper limit of which ($15 per day) is certainly achievable, especially dining at David's wife's place. ;)

And of course you'd save a bit if you can manage some place to cook your meals.

BTW, Robert, is this one of your resources?
http://singlemansparadise.com/cheap-mon … -thailand/

I've come across a few guys through the RIPERS, ritecheap.asia. JC has this first group called category 1. That group may be looking at income of between 500 - 70 a month. I remember seeing two placers where these Ripers lived. Both were a one bedroom unit with the barest essentials. For the most part no person should subordinate them selves to that level of life style. If you were a real Thai you would be able to afford that life style, but you are not.

One thing you are missing is what happens if an emergency arose. What if you had an accident and had  bill of 100 k naht/ What would you do if the police arrested you, maybe by mistake, and tell you that you have to pay 75 k baht for bail, what do you do? It's always nice looking at how cheap something could be but it just never seems to work out that way.

I think JC did a survey with his Ripers, The survey said that most Ripers would not live on a category 1 budget. After a few months you might begin to have the same thought.

Yep . . . and to add to that, I've been terribly sick a few times over the years during my Thai adventures. All kinds of wee beasties and iffy foods -- gotta get those shots and take along some emergency pills for the jungle trots.  Heads up in paradise!   dcb

You know, Robert said he was 46 and had $250,000 US saved up, was coming to Thailand next month hoping to live on about $8,000 to $9,000 US for a 2-yr period. Personally, I don't think any westerner can live on $375 per mth and have any fun whatsoever, but hey if he wants to try, he's got nothing to lose. He said he's got $250k saved up, so the worse can happen is that he spends more than his goal. You ever heard of the saying "It takes what it takes", well he will find out what it takes to live in Thailand...

To live like that to me is living like a bum... sleeping in 1-room apt with no pool (5000b/mth), eating rice (50b) every meal, drinking tap water (free), 1 beer/day (in apt 30b), walking everywhere, washing by hand, NO scooters or taxis, NO laundry service, NO smokes, NO bars and the big one, NO LADIES because they cost between (1000b-1500b) depending on how long & how pretty... and NO trips anywhere... And, what about the elec, cable TV, internet, cell phone, airport taxis (1600b) and frequent visa runs which are not free?

So, come enjoy Thailand and spend what you need to spend to have fun... and when your money gets low, you can always go back to work like most people do until they have saved enough to retire permanently...

intrested to know you more

Hello all,
Robert here, thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated. I think I may have given the wrong impression of my expectations, let me start by saying I have already seen most of the world, the good and the bad. I have had the unfortunate task of doing the unthinkable, and at the next turn, playing the hero. On an average day, I did more by 7:00, than most people do in three days. Now, Im just tired. Im 46 with a body thats feels much older. That one room shack with some meat on a stick with sticky rice and a glass of water will do me just fine. I am not a creature of habit. I am not looking for a woman. I am ok without most of the things an average person might need or want. Im not looking for a good time with all the frills. Im looking for peace, and a much deserved rest. Can i do it? I have no doubt!

But no matter what, you still need a little something to lift your spirit at times. I've heard it said many times, many ways and within many disciplines. You can work very hard for something and make all kinds of sacrifices to satisfy a goal. But at times you have to give yourself rewards, even if they are small rewards. As a human being you need to think above that of an animal who has to survive.

just giving you an idea.

OP, it sounds to me like what you need is a holiday not the stress of moving and adjusting to a new country and culture.  It doesn't take all that long to satisfy the need for a much deserved rest and become restless again.

You might enjoy staying with the monks at a temple. This is a tradition that every Thai man does for at least one month. I have met some people from visiting cultures who have done this -- a professor of history from USA for example. You might be expected to go shopping and bring back some provisions for the temple, but this would be a very interesting experience. It's difficult and can be enlightening. And, you can live on way less than the figures that the good folks at this forum have been suggesting.  Just a thought.  dcb  PS: With regard to that idea, I've got very good connections in Nong Khai, well away from the world of materialistic leanings . . . and there is enough English up there to keep you in the know.  dcb

Get real! I've lived in the LOS for 30+ years and here's
a realistic BASIC costs/month table based in living in Hua Hin.

1. Nice studio with a/c, fridge, TV with cable, balcony and free wifi.         9,000
2. Utilities ( variable ) allow                                                                               2,000
3. Cleaning.                                                                                                          1,200
4. Food ( Thai ) local @ Baht 200/day + extra for a treat.                             7.000
5. Walk.
                                                                                                                  Total.   19,000

Let's round up to 20,000/month.

Boozing and women have to be added according to your own preferences.

Gojunken. That's good news for Robert5074. I've always thought that Hua Hin would be a little pricier from my ventures with real estate agents and plain old visits for the weekend. Do you live in Hua Hin?  Wondering about 1 or 2 bedroom apartments. I dislike going online with some of these rental agencies because I'm afraid of getting more and more junk mail from them -- There's one that I can't shut off no matter what I do. Got any suggestions re who to talk to?   dcb

Hi davidcolinburt. I'm living in Hua Hin at the moment. Should I get bored, I'll relocate. I live outside the ' tourist area ' but with easy access to local type Thai restaurants, entertainment, markets, gyms : in fact the full package!
Hence, instead of paying B 120 for a typical Thai dish, I pay B 50 for it ( same quality ).
Re : housing. I've found the best way is to reconnaissance trip an the area you'd like to live in ' on foot '. If you like a place, call in, view and negotiate.
I speak fluent Thai so that's not a problem.
Otherwise, I've found 'Renthub' to be great.
Hope that helps.

Where did you learn your Thai please?

Spending all of my time with Thais who couldn't speak English.
I got a book called ' The Foundations Of The Thai Language '.
Excellent. I read it and used what I had read to converse, wrote down what I didn't understand in my own phonetics and researched.
Also, watched Thai TV which helped me too even though I had to again write down and research.
Languages are best learnt ' by acquisition ' : listening and speaking.
Add to that your own self-study and using your new language in real situations with real people.
Doesn't take long before you're on your way provided you have the interest.
I speak better Thai than Thais now : so I'm told.

You had a lot of motivation for sure.  Super, that you learned so well.
I speak, besides English, French, German and Afrikaans - but the tonal thing in Thai (& the large alphabet with the weird script, words connected to each other.....etc. put me off .  The word for horse, dog and come are all "ma" with only slight tonal variation and I just couldnt hear the tone difference. Maybe when I go back to Thailand, I'll have a better ear :)
    I had a few lessons when living in bkk 2004-2008.  Enough to wiggle by. But now that we are considering retiring there, am sorry I didnt take it more seriously.
    A colleague of mine took Thai in BKK by a method where you only watch and listen... just like a toddler learns. Although I never heard her speak, she ended up in Brussels doing translations French/English/Thai!
I wonder if that method is in Chiang Mai by this time, several years later....

GOJUKEN wrote:

Get real! I've lived in the LOS for 30+ years and here's
a realistic BASIC costs/month table based in living in Hua Hin.

1. Nice studio with a/c, fridge, TV with cable, balcony and free wifi.         9,000
2. Utilities ( variable ) allow                                                                               2,000
3. Cleaning.                                                                                                          1,200
4. Food ( Thai ) local @ Baht 200/day + extra for a treat.                             7.000
5. Walk.
                                                                                                                  Total.   19,000

Let's round up to 20,000/month.

Boozing and women have to be added according to your own preferences.

Just so Robert knows, there may be a few other costs besides the 20,000Baht/mth:

1. mthly visa runs (he's only 46), I would guess it's at least 3,000 - 5,000 Baht/mth depending on where he's staying for a day trip. I went to Laos from Udon once and it cost 1,000 B to border, 800 B on Laos side to hotel times two, 1,500 B Laos immigration, 1 nt hotel stay 1,500 = 6,600 + food & drinks
2. cell phone service 200-400 Baht/mth -  I use AIS
3. I pay TruVision for extra channels, packages range from 800 - 2,500 Baht/mth (basic cable sucks!)
4. trips (optional)