Near term potential of moving to PR from Houston

Hey All !

I've read many of the posts.  thank you all for sharing !

Unsure about many things, but if we do come to PR we'll be living likely near Dorado.

Topics of interest for us

1.  are bringing dogs (read a lot on that).
2.  the House market and purchase experience
3.  Automobile challenges (read a lot on that)

Pretty serious about this.  if the opportunity presents itself, it will be a fast decision.

Welcome Jeff,  we lived in the Houston area a few years ago.  Are you looking to retire in PR? or working?

Texas Jeff wrote:

Hey All !

I've read many of the posts.  thank you all for sharing !

Unsure about many things, but if we do come to PR we'll be living likely near Dorado.

Topics of interest for us

1.  are bringing dogs (read a lot on that).
2.  the House market and purchase experience
3.  Automobile challenges (read a lot on that)

Pretty serious about this.  if the opportunity presents itself, it will be a fast decision.

Do you have specif quesrion?

1. Bring the dogs.
2. Rent for six months or longer while you look around.
3. Buy a car here. Even if you own a vintage car that you want to bring 'for old times sake', purchase your everyday car in Puerto Rico.
4. Just do it.
5. Let me know when you are here so I can have you come visit. I will give you a tour of my neighborhood and maybe an adult beverage, or two.

All,

trying to figure many things out.  we are nearing retirement age, close enough now that we have to make serious plans about the next 7 - 10 years before we pull the trigger.

so this late career potential in PR has many implications for us.

One of which is the property considerations.  We might purchase a home or luxury condo to live in, but also to lease / rent out for the tourist trade, after we retire.

Retirement will be summers in northern Michigan, winters someplace nicer.

if anyone has thoughts along the above subject that would be really helpful.

One consideration is that we don't speak spanish, so it will be difficult until we learn.

Do not get a pit bull or any mix of pit bull or you will have a hard time deciding to move to PR, they are not allowed.

7-10 years is a long ways away, a lot of things will happen from now till then, we are going thru the issue with the debt, things should be settled by then one way or another but who knows if the conditions will be favorable to move then or not. Given that, I would suggest NOT to buy a property until it is time to move or until you decide to do 50/50 in the island. Too many years away.

3 areas to consider and maybe become familiar in the mean time: Condado, Dorado, and Palmas Del Mar in Humacao. I would add to that also Rincon, there are several nice condos there. They all require little knowledge of Spanish, but once you leave those areas your needs for Spanish will grow.