Demand for Expat HR Management in Malaysia?

Hi :)

I'd be grateful for advice on prospects or strategies.

I'm a westerner marrying a Malaysian in KL later this year.

It's pretty straight forward for her to work in my home country - visa is easy, work is on a shortage list, and employers aren't worried about employing foreigners. However, long term our thinking is that settling in Malaysia would be a better option - especially so she can remain close to family (mine is dotted all around the world anyway).

The Malaysia government released a job shortage analysis that put HR management (which is my passion) high up the list, but I've not had a lot of hits when it comes to job applications.

I have:
- 16 years HR experience, most of that in multinational tech, energy, retail firms
- including 5 years managing multicultural teams
- taught management psychology and project management at a 1% university
- developed change, and learning and development programmes for law and tech firms
- managed up to 14 simultaneous, successful consulting project teams.
- worked as an account manager in a team of 8 responsible for clients netting RM900 million p/a
- a first class honours degree in psychology and economics from a 1% university
- a background in coding and networking, so highly tech literate

I'm:
- currently a consultant for an international engineering/ infrastructure consultancy.
- spent 7 months working in Malaysia on temporary placements (e.g. UN)
- have a reasonable amount of Bahasa Melayu

This seems like a solid background to me.

Despite this, I've gotten just 2 hits out of 300 applications in KL, where in the same time I got 2 full job offers out of just 3 applications in my home country.

So I'm wondering if there's basically zero desire in Malaysia for an expat in HR.

What do you think?

Is there more demand for expat HR in Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore?

Is working at an NGO for a couple years a good strategy to demonstrate local integration?

Or time to retrain for Malaysia?

It sounds like IT and accounting are hitting a saturation point in Malaysia, meanwhile I'm reluctant to pivot so far that my 16 years HR experience can't be used.

Send me your CV. [email protected]

HR and Banking are the key local professisonal areas and there are no shortage of local candidates. Accountancy is one of the areas where there are protectionist strategies to keep unemployment low in Malaysia. IT software engineering still is an active area and outsourcing keep the inflow going. However, ASEAN and Indian staff are preferred for their salary expectations.

The other issue is very few local companies have the required structure and paid up capital to hire foreigners and there are also quotas versus local hires. Mainly international companies will be your target. So quite a few hurdles. Hopefully Tony will be a good networking opportunity for you.

There are some UN organizations in Malaysia, but most of the jobs are for local hires only. But you could check out professional positions at P4/P5 level at www.unjobs.org

Kaiserwilhelm wrote:

Hi :)

What do you think?

Is there more demand for expat HR in Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore?

Is working at an NGO for a couple years a good strategy to demonstrate local integration?

Or time to retrain for Malaysia?[/b]

It sounds like IT and accounting are hitting a saturation point in Malaysia, meanwhile I'm reluctant to pivot so far that my 16 years HR experience can't be used.

Personally I would consider Singapore as well. I'd also be prepared to change direction completely in order to get established even if the salary is not all that attractive in the beginning. I don't think you need to demonstrate local integration, it serves no purpose in my opinion. Just be prepared to move away from HR if other opportunities arise.

Can I suggest you join the Facebook Group - Foreign Spouses Support Group as it will prepare you for the bureaucracy when living in Malaysia - https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/ It's quite a minefield.

Good morning, and thanks for taking the time.

@Tony. I've emailed you. Would be great to hear your thoughts on the matter.

@Gravitas.

"The other issue is very few local companies have the required structure and paid up capital to hire foreigners and there are also quotas versus local hires. Mainly international companies will be your target".

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of a quota issue.

After a job offer at UNHCR was withdrawn after the budget cuts, I'd hoped my current employer would be a good prospect for transfer in the future. However, it looks like UEM will sell their shares and we'll become Canadian instead.

Summing up the feedback I'm getting; I should concentrate on international firms, UN, and local NGOs. However, other general feedback suggests except in very senior positions or IT consulting, westerners are not well placed.

NOTE edit to original post (a 2% university and 1% subject departments).

@ Gravitas, re: Foreign Spouses.

Great idea. I've now followed. Yes, the bureaucracy can be interesting. Especially where official procedure differs so much from practice. I like to think of this as part of the fun and challenge.

@abdulkhalil

Thanks for the advice.

"I don't think you need to demonstrate local integration, it serves no purpose in my opinion".

This is interesting. I had a conversation with a partner at Moore Stephens who also suggested that I shouldn't try to integrate too much - as our value as westerners was really in the degree to which we did not integrate and the ability to apply different thinking.

"I'd also be prepared to change direction completely in order to get established even if the salary is not all that attractive in the beginning."

That's a big question there. I'm comfortable with taking a low salary as I have supplements, but the can of worms is 'direction'. I take from this that maximum flexibility will be a virtue.

I made three complete changes in my life job-wise before starting my first company. The first took me from being a Petroleum Geologist/Engineer to a position of Sales Manager in a Shipping company, and later to Marketing Manager/Commercial Manager in a Heavy Engineering company where I took a big drop in salary but tripled it in just over a year although I later quit as I'd reached the salary cap in that company. Then at 34 years of age I started my first company using my experience in marketing, finance and legal and my discipline as an Engineer. To be honest, I have always felt that when in Asia, opportunities seem to find you. You get offered positions and even partnerships in often very different fields just through everyday dealings with people. Even the VP of that Heavy Engineering company I worked for proposed I quit and create a business partnership with him doing the same business but in Singapore (I naturally refused).

Having said all that, I have found Malaysia to be nice for quality of life but if I were seeking a high level job overseas I would consider other places like Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and maybe Bangkok. That doesn't really help as you want to move to Malaysia for your wife's family, but I'd initially be willing to consider any job in Asia in one of the major cities because I think that once you are established and become known in expat circles you will find many more opportunities and may even get headhunted which might also lead you back to Malaysia.

I also believe that when still relatively young and if without children and having lots of confidence in your own ability is the ideal time to take risks.

Just my personal thoughts.... :)