Teaching English as a Second Language

Hi, I'm Melodie.  I've been teaching ESL for over 20 years in Riverside, California (in between Los Angeles and San Diego, California).  I have a BA in Linguistics and am fairly fluent in French (4 years in high school, 2 years in college, and lived in Normandy with a French-speaking family for a summer).  I have summers off from my job and would love to teach children or adults English during the summer.  I'd even do it for free, for the experience. 
   I'm single and very healthy.  I take no medications and I love to travel.  I'm not put off by circumstances that are not as convenient or modern as many Americans are used to. 
    I love photography, reading and writing.  I also make quilts and my own jewelry.  I could teach these crafts on a beginning level.  I want to be useful and learn about the culture and language of this beautiful little country.

Hi Melodie,

Thank you for this iniciative. I like people like you. I would like to meet you. Actually, I live in the North of the island but I can move around easily.

Let me know where you are and we can try to meet. I am a language teacher too and I teach the local language at school.

Pascal

Hi Melodie,

From your post, I gather you are looking for a teaching job in Mauritius?

I'm looking for a job there during the summer of 2018.

I am in the United States now.  I am interested in working as an ESL teacher during the summer of 2018.  Do you have any suggestions?

The thing is that Mauritius has a quite selective immigration policy when it comes to employment of foreigners.

To be able to live and work in Mauritius, you will need an 'Occupation Permit-Professional' and this is delivered only when local competency  and experience are nowhere to be found.

Your best bet would be getting in contact with private international school operating on the island. They often recruit foreign educators on mid-term or long-term contracts.

Thanks for this very helpful information.  I really appreciate it.🤗

Hi Pascal,
Since you are teaching now, do you know of any possible job opportunities at your school during the coming summer?  That is the only time I am available.  I have an ESL teaching job in the USA during the year.  Also, if I were to get employment during the summer, what type of housing arrangements might be available?
Thank you for all your help,
Melodie
P. S.  Do you speak French, and are you a native of Mauritius

Hi Melodie,

I'm interested! I'm just starting to set up a forum for kids and their parents, due to start in 2018.

When exactly do you plan to be in Mauritius and for how long? Can I know a little bit more about your current ESL job and age group of children you work with?

Im not sure about the law regarding employment of foreigners though. Will have to find out.

I can also help you with accommodation but I need to know the duration of your stay.

Vaani

Hi Vaani,
     I was only planning on coming to Mauritius if I can find work as an ESL teacher there.  I currently teach intermediate level writing and conversation classes to adults.  I have a B.A. in Linguistics and am fairly fluent in French. I have never taught children but I'm very adaptable, having more than twenty years experience.  I also love children and have six grandchildren and one great grandchild myself.
     I have every summer off from June 30 th to September 15th. Please let me know if you think there might be an opportunity I could serve in.
Sincerely,
Melodie Earickson

Hi Melodie,

I think we have enough time to work on a proposal for you. I'll send you a private message when I have some more info.

Cheers  :)

Thank you!

Hi Melodieee, will put u in contact with my son's pre-primary school 😊

Try contacting the US embassy, they might have short term work schemes particularly for teaching.

Also check out the British Council, they are starting to give English language courses.

Hi
My name is Ashleigh, i am South African currently living and working in Thailand as an ESL teacher. I have a TESOL certificate and a BA degree. I have taught primary and kindergarten children.

If anyone has advice or a job opportunity in Mauritius that would be greatly appreciated.

I am available immediately and would like to move as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Hi melodie