What happens after 4 months temporary BSN, with job but no place

What happens if my RNI (non resident) / temporary BSN 4 months expires and I have a job, but still not a place to register?
Do they somehow block my BSN so my next earnings at my bank account are blocked too?

And did anyone had the situation to be in a flexible work that was not guaranteed that you could pay a monthly rent or not yet had all the savings for the rent contracts that ask for some months in advance? Could you solve it somehow? Are there any options I could apply to have more time to find something suitable before registering, or receiving a "help" to pay later with not so much more costs?

Hi - the non-resident BSN number is issued to people who work in Holland, but do not live there (i.e. do live in another country, typically cross-border workers); generally issued to allow your Dutch employer to deduct the taxes from your salary and claim any benefits/pension you may be entitled to from working there.  They are also issued to non-residents coming to work in Holland for a short period of time, so they can register/pay for health insurance.

If you live in Holland, you get a normal BSN; you use the address where you are living when you register, if you later move, then you just let the Gemeente know your new address.

Hi there,

Hoping you can help me with some advice please.

I have a temporary BSN which I received on 1st August. I am currently living in an apartment where registration is not possible. I have a current employment contract.

Do I have to move into a new place where registration is possible from 1st Dec?

What will happen if I continue to live at my current address, continue to work, but fail to update my registration to a dutch address from Dec 1st?

Thanks for this!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you can't register where you currently live, then you will have to move to a place where you can.

I'm puzzled as to how you registered where you currently are as the requirements for a temporary BSN are identical to a permanent one.

If you're caught, you can be deported, but they will probably give you a chance to find a new place first.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the speedy reply and advice, I am grateful.

I will explain a bit more:

I am here on a Working Holiday Permit. I have a temporary registration to an address in Australia as I only expected to stay until December. I then took a new work contract that extends until Feb.

I will find a new place to live where I can register during December, but am worried that my 4 month temporary registration will expire before I move house.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi again.

Thanks for the further information.  However, it doesn't change my response, there are no special arrangements that permit anybody to live in a place that is not permitted for residency.  If the reason that you can't register is that the address is already at maximum occupancy, then you will have to move out.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello

I have just been excepted  for job in a company in Amsterdam and they requested me to get my BSN Number so that they can make my work contact . For temporary I am staying in my boyfriends house. On the upcoming Monday I will be  visiting the municipality office to apply for a temporary BSN Number in RNI.

MY QUESTION is  if I can get a temporary BSN Number right away on monday, can my employer make a work contract for a year with this temporary BSN Number ?

2.  If yes then can I get a normal BSN Number ones I move to Amsterdam in January and submit my house contract in Amsterdam municipality office and convert from temporary BSN into BSN Number?

3. Also  will I get a temporary BSN Number on the same day of registration?

4. Do I have to make any appointment in RNI for applying for Temporary BSN ? Or can I just work in ?

I think you may have misunderstood the system.  The RNI is for temporary/transient workers in the Netherlands; for example, you work for a German company that has a contract in Amsterdam, this contract requires you to be on-site daily and live temporarily in the Netherlands, so you need a BSN number to register at the doctors, maybe hire a car, open a local bank account.  Not all Gemeente operate a RNI, they put everybody on the same database.

How the system works is you have 5 working days from the date you arrive in the Netherlands to make an appointment with the Gemeente; currently, because of Covid, the appointment may take a lot longer to happen, sometimes 4 to 5 weeks after your call.

You can register from any address as long as you have the permission of the landlord to live there.

A BSN number is a BSN number, there is no difference between a temporary one and a permanent version; the only difference is where your record sits on the database.

You don't have to have a BSN number in order for your employer to write your contract; many employers are used to this and they just treat you as a worker with no tax benefits until your BSN is sorted.

Officially, when you register, your details are then passed on to the Gemeente department where they issue your DigiD (it's how people in the Netherlands communicate with the local and national government), you then get a formal letter acknowledging your registration and giving you your BSN and DigiD with log-in details, this can take weeks, particularly with Covid causing many civil servants to work from home.  My advice would be to ask the person who registers you to let you know your BSN (it's on the screen in front of them), so you can pass it on to your boss.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello
I registered my temporary bsn in january 2021 but I was working here until the end of the year by agencies. Am I supposed to make a new bsn number? Just because my old one was good everywhere as far as i know but I'm registrated to an outdated address. I have to fix this because I need Digi ID urgently.

Just go to your new Gemeente and register your new address; you'll get your DigiD in the post a few weeks after you do it.  You will keep your old BSN number.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,

I am brasilian and I am living in Italy because of my citizenship request. I dont get it yet. Im already in Netherlands, and I get a temporary BSN. Can I have a job during this time? I already have a bank account here too. My friends, in the same situation were able to made a registration in the HLPRS and it was accepted. So, can I have a job in a restaurant during this 4 months, while I wait my documents from Italy? Thank you so much!

Hello,
I am brasilian and I am living in Italy because of my citizenship request. I dont get it yet. Im already in Netherlands, and I get a temporary BSN. Can I have a job during this time? I already have a bank account here too. My friends, in the same situation were able to made a registration in the HLPRS and it was accepted. So, can I have a job in a restaurant during this 4 months, while I wait my documents from Italy? Thank you so much!
-@felice13

I don't know your circumstances and on paper, they should not have done what they did, but they've done it and it's not my place to comment otherwise.

HLPRS are an Agency that helps people (mainly employers) find temporary help, be it home cleaner or whatever.  I don't know if they pay your healthcare insurance or your taxes.

My advice would be to go to the IND, check your status and then tell the Gemeente to switch you from the temporary database to the permanent one.

Good luck

Cynic

Expat Team

Is there any other option if my RNI expires in 4 month and I am not able to find the  apartment with registration. Right now I am hoping in to temporary accommodations without registration.

Is there any other option if my RNI expires in 4 month and I am not able to find the apartment with registration. Right now I am hoping in to temporary accommodations without registration.
-@Aditi1566

RNI is a temporary registration, but BSN numbers do not expire.  If you fail to meet all the requirements, they can ask you to leave the country, so go to the Gemeente and tell them you are staying permanently, you have work and are still looking for somewhere to live that will permit registration, then ask that they move your registration to the permanent database.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

For rni so you need official permission from the landlord? Can you use an apartment temporarily despite it having max occupants?