Registering a birth in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Saudi Arabia? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Saudi Arabia?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

why don't you come here and try yourself..........

Dear Priscilla,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Saudi Arabia? What was the experience like?

Yes, already registered on child, and the process is easy.

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

Father is required

What documents are usually required in Saudi Arabia?

upon delivery the hospital will provide the medical report for birth delivery this only the paper need with the Iqama of the father

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

its matter of appointment, the date might be after couple of week, so you reserve it in advanced

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

its impossible to have the local citizenship in KSA even you born there, yes in some Arab country accept the dual nationality.

Regards,

Zak

1. Hospitals birth certificate in both languages i.e. English and Arabic.
2. Take the appointment from Civil Affairs (Ahwal-e-Madni). If the appointment date is above 30 days of birth go to office on 30th day so that you will not face fine.
3. Documents required at Civil Affairs, Passport copies and original, Iqama Copies and original and filled form available at MOI. (All documents for mother and father both)
4. Go to MOFA for foreign affairs ticket SAR30/= with Marriage certificate, passport and iqama for both.
5. Go to your embassy for registering the newly born child and issuance of passport.
6. Go to Saudi Passport Office (Jawazat) with all the above mention documents and filled form for issuance of new iqama. Form stamped from sponsor of father.
7. Check the details at your absher for new kid for assurance so that all information should be correct.

That's right Yameen

My experience was a bit different, sorry for hijacking your post:

1. Hospitals birth certificate in both languages i.e. English and Arabic.

2. Take the appointment from Civil Affairs (Ahwal-e-Madni). If the appointment date is above 30 days of birth go to office on 30th day so that you will not face fine. Try for appointment everyday, I luckily got a slot after 2 weeks for Riyadh (usually Riyadh takes 1-2 months advance appointments)

3. Documents required at Civil Affairs, Appointment letter, Hospital birth letter, Mother & Father Passport copies and original, Mother & Father Iqama Copies and original, form filled outside the Civil affairs for SAR 10.

4. Go to MOFA for foreign affairs ticket SAR30/= with Marriage certificate, passport and iqama for both. This was not needed for me.

5. Go to your embassy for registering the newly born child and issuance of passport.
Indian embassy needed translated Civil Affairs birth certificate, Mother & Father passports, and picture.

6. Take appointment for jawazat for adding child to iqama. this is normally available for next day.

7. Go to Saudi Passport Office (Jawazat) with all the above mention documents (Iqamas, birth certificate, child passport) and filled form for issuance of new iqama (filled outside jawazat for SAR 10). Form stamped from sponsor of father and also stamp of father's sponsor (kafeel company).

8. Check the details of the iqama at the counter, and if there is a mistake, ask them to correct it there itself, they usually reprint the iqama.

9. Check the details at your absher for new kid for assurance so that all information should be correct

Hi there,

You get the birth certificate direct from the hospital, my husband is Saudi and I am British so he was able to register the birth in saudi and I registered the birth once I got back to the uk.
Unless your spouse is Saudi the baby won't be entitled to dual citizenship I'm afraid.

When I spoke to the British embassey they said it wasn't necessary to register the birth in the UK but I did need an official translation of the birth certificate to get the passport.

DEAR

first of all you have to take appointment from local city office Ahwal MAdani and take hospital certificate, yours and your spouses , iqama and passport on that day. the rest will be handled by the government official

Zak is on point.

#8 & #9 are critical.  I found mistakes with all my family member documents (e.g., iqama, birth certificate) that needed corrections.

Sorry I have no experience regarding this one.

1. The Hospital or Clinic where the baby was delivered or would be delivered are responsible to issue a certificate mentioning the Baby's birth, I took it on the 2nd day of my baby's delivery,  will be issued without any fee. Ask the attending nurse she will guide you to the proper department. Make sure the name is correct and as you want.  ( The issuing staff might ask you for a tip which he dont deserve, I faced and did not entertained)

2.The issued certificate has to be produced to the births registration office in Nasariya-Riyadh near pakistan embassy school to get issued the Birth Certificate (if the baby delivered in Riyadh ), but you must take online appointment by visiting the website.

2a. Fathers original passport with a copy and both parents Iqama copies are to be produced, advised to carry even mothers original passport, TAKE THE NEWBORNS PASSPORT SIZE PICS, as it is required to be affixed on some form at some stage.

2b. Must take an online appointment through the Government births registration website prior to approaching the above said office.

2c. The appointment must be taken for the same city where the child is born ( Ex- Born in Riyadh but appointment taken for AL KHARJ will not work don't try its is a waste of your precious time, i faced it)  Note - One can take appointment in advance even if the child is due in future date to avoid delays.

2d.  In case  the website says appointments are closed or not available don't panic keep on trying you will get the appointment with repeated try. Once you have the appointment reach the place and present yourself at least 30 minutes prior to your turn you will be given with a token number, the serving staff are good and quick in their work,  You will be issued with a Birth Certificate within few minutes.

3.Apply for passport through your embassy or VFS but you need to first get the issued Birth Certificate translated into English language particularly if you belong to a non Arabic speaking country, translation charge SAR.30 dated April 2016 ( I did it at Jarir near Mc Donalds), the translated Birth Certificate required by you embassy to issue a passport.

4.If Indian you have to fill a birth certificate form duly affixed with the new borns pic, download the forms from the Indian Embassy VFS website along with the passport application form, the embassy of India issues birth Certificate  and passport within 4 working days from the date of submission.

5. After receiving the passport you need to approach JAWAZAT office with a duly filled form for Iqama issuance for the new born, you need to take appointment for this ( I forgot, but I am sure that the appointment is given online only in this case too)

5a. On the day of appointment the father should approach the JAWAZAT personally no middleman required after seeing your appointment you would be issued for a token for your turn.

5b. Submit the new born's original passport with copy to JAWAZAT also need both parents original passports & Iqama's with copies to produce to Jawazat, and a beautiful picture of your new born for Iqama purpose.

In KSA, for any job related to Government agencies or offices, my personal experience is that if you are genuinely eligible and have all the required valid documents the process to get done any Job in Saudi Arabia is quite simple and hassle free .
GOOD LUCK

Good information all. Just one thing dependent fees for the new born need to be paid prior to  Iqama issue.
The amount is equal to the current rate of 100 Riyals per month times the remaining time for the father's Iqama.

Example: if the Iqama validity is till the end of the year Dec 31st then it will be three months fees for the months Oct, Nov, Dec and the remaining 10 days of Sept.

By the way more important congratulations to all those blessed with new born or expecting shorty. May God bless you all.

Our experience was last 2016. I gave birth in Jeddah. We took appointment from civil affairs MOI website after giving birth when we realized that we should've scheduled the appointment PRIOR to giving birth because it took about a month for us to get an appointment. This appointment is to process a birth certificate from Civil Affairs.
In our experience, the hospital gave us our birth notification 7 days after I delivered my child. This birth notification is registered to MOH and this is required to furnish the birth certificate later on.
The hospital required us iqama for both parents (and passport i think) and a marriage certificate (translated if in english and stamped by MOFA)
When you receive your birth notification, it will be 2 pages which is one in arabic and one in english. Please double check the spelling of every single thing written there both in arabic and english. Since me and my husband are non arabic speakers, we failed to check the spelling of our son's name in arabic which we only discovered INCORRECT when we were applying for my son's passport. The officer in our embassy apparantly reads arabic. The english was correct so we didn't mind because I thought we would only follow english name.
She suggested to correct it prior to passport application because there could be a problem when applying for iqama. Otherwise, follow the incorrect spelling for the passport which is totally insane.
We postponed the application and went back to both MOH and MOI to correct the spelling but both agencies refused us after months of trying. Each agency pin points each other as to whom
Should correct it first. They reasoned out that it is already registered in the system.
we finally decided to try our luck and proceeded to apply the passport where they followed the english birth certificate. When we applied for his iqama, there came the biggest and stressful problem we had. Iqama has to be in arabic and jawasat only wanted to follow the arabic birth certificate. They suggested now to replace the passport and copy the arabic spelling which was incorrect. I came to different number of people who I was hopeful would help us. But it took us about a year to solve this problem and furnish my son's iqama. I finally realized to come back to the higher management of the hospital I so friggin pissed off of why I am being troubled and stressed with a simple clerical mistake they did. We paid cash on my delivery and this hospital is one of the biggest in the city.  I told them that someone has to be responsible about this and that they have to solve it. They came with me and took over the talking and negotiating with both MOI and MOH. It was MOI who finally was able to correct and provide us the new Birth Certificate with the correct spelling. Whew that came in a long process when its suppose to be easy. In this day and age, language barrier is still a problem.

Hello Dear,

As I know, you have to collect birth notification from hospital and then apply for birth certificate in Saudi internal affairs. After getting birth certificate  approach VFS or your embassy for  passport and all other legal documents required for new born baby.

Thanks
Arun

Hi do you have any idea if how my husband can register our baby he is only in visit visa. Please help i give birth for more than a month.until now we our baby not yet register because we really don't know where to start.

hi. my case is that i (father) just came here for a visit.  can my wife register our baby?

same situation.
were u able to register ur baby mam?
what did u do mam?
please help me.. tnx