Robbed today in Envigado

Hey all,

I'm not a regular here on the forum, but just thought I'd share what happened to me today in Envigado.

I'm volunteering here in Medellin for a few months and was having coffee at Cafe Otraparte. A man took my backpack from under my chair, with all my belongings in, including clothes, kindle, and a USB with all my photos on.

I know it's not the worst or rarest thing that could've happened here, but it's a reminder to keep an eye on your stuff if you're in the area.

I'll head to the policia fiscal station in Envigado tomorrow, but know I'm unlikely to get anything back.

Any tips on where my stuff might be sold? If I could get the empty backpack itself back, I'd consider that a victory. It's not a common make for Colombia, so might be noticeable.

Cheers
Ben

Sorry for your loss and best of luck getting your stuff back.

You can try checking Locanto or Mercado Libre.  They're classified sites like Craigslist.
http://locanto.com.co/https://www.mercadolibre.com.co/

Also, I think 'robbed' is the wrong word: "Robbery is the crime of taking or attempting to take anything of value by force, threat of force or by putting the victim in fear."

Thanks Louis - that's useful.  I'll check both those sites.

And yes, sorry, didn't mean to give the wrong impression.  I thought robbery was all types of thievery, but apparently not. 

Although I have to say, having been robbed at knifepoint in Nicaragua, I think this is actually worse.  At least I could look the thief in the eye, and I knew with 100% certainty what had happened to my stuff.  The not-knowing is what gets me.

Sorry to read about your loss, Benjamin.

Let's maintain perspective on your latest point.

Facing a robber with a knife out .. is potentially much more dangerous than non-violent theft.

The reasons:  in the latter scenario, your backpack, clothes and Kindle can be replaced .. and there is no bodily threat to the victim.

The law makes a distinction between robbery and other forms of theft and burglary.  In jurisdictions where this distinction applies to punishment for perpetrators, robbery is a felony, the other forms merely misdemeanors.  (Per Wikipedia, under "Robbery.")

-- cccmedia

Used to be Envigado was supposed to be one of the safest cities in Colombia because  of the "cleansing" operations of the "Oficina"..

But with some of the extraditions to the US, their power has diminished substantially apparently