Hola, hola.

Retired USCG 6 months ago, final was Sector San Juan.

Last 3 years @ Resident Inspection Office Ponce

Port State Control vessel inspections on foreign ships in five south and west coast ports: Mayaguez, Guanica, Guayanilla, Ponce, and Guayama. . This includes Liquefied Natural Gas tankers, Oil & Chemical tankers, Freight Vessels, and the rare Cruise Ship. Me mostly Guayama.

Lived in Cayey, 25 minutes from port but up pretty high. Nice.

Now stateside to regroup. Got job offer shipping industry SJ. So, probably headed back to PR.

Probably will live NE.

Welcome! There are several veterans on this forum, myself included (Army Infantry).

Congrats and many thanks for your service!  My wife was at Sector San Juan from 2013-2016.  We are stateside now - she's at TRACEN Yorktown.

Hi USCG
Welcome to the forum.
Interesting job, I bet you have a lot of stories to tell.

Thank you all for the welcome. I am reading the board to get a feel. So far, I see a big majority of people stateside.

USCG, let me add my thanks for your service. My husband and I recently bought a home overlooking Humacao in the East. Beautiful view. Welcome to the forum.

I used to live (and work there). Speak Spanish. Puerto Rican wife. General love of PR history, linguistics, culture, etc. But couldn't put up with the crime, dishonesty and evasion of responsibility so prevalent in PR society. Not as a professional with kids. When my wife's aunt and cousin were murdered, that was it. We had to go.

When I was single and stationed in Panama, I liked how anything was possible on any given day. It was exciting. But in PR, my wife and I just couldn't put up with the corruption any longer. The utter lack of consideration that people in the island often show each other is extraordinary. The backwards economy was intolerable.

Now we live in Zurich and although the Swiss are the opposite of Latins in their social graces, the place is very safe, clean, honest, has very low taxes, and is one of the world's top financial centers, which is the industry in which I practice and let's me work on the most interesting international tax matters that just don't exist in PR (I don't do individual tax so this is not a passive advertisement). It's also right in the center of Europe and great for visiting Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, France, Spain, etc. The Alps and alpine lakes are truly majestic too and I'm always glad to see them again after being away. But I grew up on the coast in the US and I miss the ocean more than I'll miss the Alps when/if we ever move.

Swiss culture is the opposite of Puerto Rican culture, which is good when it comes to governance, crime, work and contracts but bad when it comes to socialization, hospitality and culinary options. I have to go to Italy, Spain and Ireland every couple of months for those things and for my wife and I to recharge our batteries.

One thing you may want to keep in mind about this forum is that many (most?) of the contributors are retirees or plan on moving to PR after they've retired in the States. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that and it's good to learn from their experiences. But their points of view are very retiree-specific and thus, their observations and expectations may not line up well with people who need to rely on active income to survive or have underage kids to raise.

But, it sounds like you know PR well, having already lived years there, and it sounds like a prime place to work in the shipping industry. There probably won't be many surprises for you.

Curious: What would be different about you working as a civilian in the maritime industry versus your work in the CG?

Puerto Rico

Palmas I presume? Nice place except maybe not this week. No thanks necessary for my service but appreciate the thought. I volunteered. The guys in our conflicts that got drafted or volunteered in the fighting branches during wars I'm with you, our hats off to them.

Big diff Nomad is the pay #1, all the rest that is different is based on the missionl--USCG's vs capitalistic.

trekrider520 wrote:

Congrats and many thanks for your service!  My wife was at Sector San Juan from 2013-2016.  We are stateside now - she's at TRACEN Yorktown.

Teaching I presume. Nice work if you can get it!!

Good luck, nice part of the US to boot.

trekrider520 wrote:

USCG wrote:
trekrider520 wrote:

Yup - Asst. SAR School Chief. This is our second tour here and you're right - nice area. Best of luck to you!

USCG, if you were responding to my post, I don't live in Palmas, but in Barrio Mariana on the side of a mountain. Our house overlooks Humacao, El Yunque and Vieques. I'm praying that Irma turns north into the open Atlantic because our main floor is wood construction -- very solid but who knows how it will weather a Cat 4. We can hunker town in the incomplete apartment below, which is concrete, but it would not be ideal. We have a generator, but it won't do us much good if the roof, along with our our appliances, is gone. We've been through hurricanes in Florida, but this is the unknown.

trekrider520 wrote:
USCG wrote:
trekrider520 wrote:

Yup - Asst. SAR School Chief. This is our second tour here and you're right - nice area. Best of luck to you!

A couple of Portsmouth cowboys from the Harriet Lane were in the barrio a while back, wanted to check out the Mojitos and more, knew Vann, said he was OK.  Me, very fond memories of the Virginia coast and NC Outer Banks. Heard Sandy re-arranged the furniture some.

Maybe see y'all at the Bier Garden some day.  Over

Sounds great - keep me posted if you ever find yourself up this way.