Hurricane prep.

Still jammed up here in Aransas pass Texas . Epicenter of Hurricane Harvey . Going to be jammed up here helping friends .
Does anyone have any better hurricane Irma info and have they told the island to board up and get water yet?

Things went quiet with my renters in Rincon.

Everything is normal here except the lines at costco for stocking up. Even if Irma moves north we are going to have lots of wind and rain, end of the week timeframe. My hurricane list includes:
Paper plates and plastic cups
Plastic forks, spoons, knives
Packaged food
Bottled water, Bathtubs filled w water
Gas in cars, Park cars up high
Freeze gallons of water
Cash
Pet food/supplies
Flashlights and batteries
Beer/alcohol
Printout important papers

Smart thinking , I went thru George , on the Island . took 3 months to get full power back on West end of island where I live . San Juan always gets power first  for the main hospital and emergency services.
Would be home there in PR. but I just had my last surgery , still need recovery time here. Then home for good.

May u be blessed with just rain. a head on cat 5 would be worse than George was.

PS GET huge amounts of Mosquito spray and Avon skin so soft if possible. 3 days after the storm will be worse than the storm when mosquitoes regroup. :)

Wish I were home , Please be safe .

Great list. I would add charging all electronic equipment, including your kindle/tablet.
Have an extra charging thingy (I forgot what they are called)
Have a 'go pack' ready in case evacuation is necessary.
If you have pets, get their crates ready if you have to leave.
Extra prescription medications.
Talk to neighbors ahead of time to know who can help with whatever happens, and knowing who will be at home.

Generator to keep your refrigerator running, canned food, manual can opener get 2 just in case. You can not have too much extra water. Trash bags, candles and matches.

If using propane stove, you will be able to cook during and after storm, make sure you have filled them recently and or get an extra tank.

Gas gor generator, if there is no electricity you may have to go far to be able to get gas for the generator and cars.

Extra Cash no ATM/ATH without electricity.

Keep refrigerator going with the generator and with the propane stove, it will be like camping.

You will be fine, stay off the roads for 2-3 days while they clear them. Lots of stinky people if no running water. Rivers will be safe to use 2-3 days after storm for a nice bath.

A chainsaw may come handy if a tree comes down near your place that may be in your way.

Manual Can openers a MUST and as much water as possible, get it in gallon size or larger, and refill little bottles from them, it will be a lot cheaper that way.

Large basin (palangana) to use to wash your face and use to wash your body, get a couple of buckets or more, used dirty water goes into buckets, use bucket dirty water to flush the toilets.

After the storm passes collect rain water if you can and fill buckets from it so a few extra buckets may become useful.

Think camping!!!!

I forgot: Funnels will let you move water from one thing to another without making a mess or wasting it. Get multiple sizes, keep one fresh and clean for drinking water fills.

Put the rain water to good use, toilets and washing dishes. Even to take a quick shower rain water is good idea. Leave your can water for cooking and drinking. If you don't have a generator, open the fridge the least possible to keep the meat from spoiled. Also, season the meat, it will last longer this way. This is the time to get those empty soda bottles and use them to make ice.

DoNot run a generator inside!!!!! I know is common sense but.......

Please remember, material things can be replaced a live cannot. Be safe!

Just checking Hurricane stats , Take this storm seriously everyone. airports will shut down in another 24 hrs. If your going to fly away for the storm I recommend it now.
You will definitely feel the impact of the storm in a Major way Just went cat 4 ( 5:15 pm Texas time)  Please be ready to board up everything .
Best wishes with all that are staying.

All seats are sold out, maybe even oversold.
Fight at Sams over generators, policed had to intervene.
Several gas stations report they are out of gas, some that have gas have increased the price.

If you have old laptops you're not using, charge them up. They can serve as a way to charge your phones and other electronics via usb.

ReyP wrote:

All seats are sold out, maybe even oversold.
Fight at Sams over generators, policed had to intervene.
Several gas stations report they are out of gas, some that have gas have increased the price.

Sounds like things are getting ugly.  People are starting to get desperate.  It will get worse as conditions deteriorate.

After 25 years in PR. I am no longer surprised at the last minute rush to get a generator , water essential foods, Even from lifetime locals.
Heck I still have stainless steel hurricane lamps from 20 years ago in original boxes.
Only been used like 4 storms , but always there.
Some of my generators are 10 years old with less than 200 hrs. on them and they were 1/2 price week after the storm :)
Most Puerto Ricans ripped out there permanent generators when the government began the $2400 a year tax on ALL permanently mounted generators.

Well above all things stay safe folks and were praying  "yes Praying" that this doesn't go above a CAT 4.

Truly hope all staying the best.

Praying for You All!!

Been through many hurricanes.

dugtx1 wrote:

After 25 years in PR. I am no longer surprised at the last minute rush to get a generator , water essential foods, Even from lifetime locals.
Heck I still have stainless steel hurricane lamps from 20 years ago in original boxes.
Only been used like 4 storms , but always there.
Some of my generators are 10 years old with less than 200 hrs. on them and they were 1/2 price week after the storm :)
Most Puerto Ricans ripped out there permanent generators when the government began the $2400 a year tax on ALL permanently mounted generators.

Is the tax on permanent generators still in place?  I have friends that recently installed.?

It was when I came to Texas 5 years ago to have my spine rebuilt.
The trick if they come after a home owner on the tax is have someone local set it on a trailer frame with tires cut the tongue off after they say it was permanent , and bolt it down solid ,so it doesn't grow legs :)

Stationed in Corpus off and on, loved it. Port Aransas a man's town.

Saw Rockport got blasted, but how about Mustang Island? Port Royale my favorite hang--the biggest swimming pool in TX, was then anyway.

This part of Texas is the best, Mustang island is on the back burner til homes and streets are back I order. there still towing boats and ships back from as far out as the oil rigs.
For me after 30 years of contracting oversea, its Puerto Rico "WEST END ONLY" or here in Coastal bend area, They both have similarities. :)

I checked in the kitchen, we only have manual can openers. Are there any other types?  :D

Kidding aside, we're finishing our preparations today. 2,000 gallons of water in the tanks, generator and cars are filled up, 20 gallons of gas to keep the gen-set going for some time.
Around 50 gallons drinking water, a couple of drums have been filled for flushing the toilets, big supply of batteries, plenty of food  and of course beers and whiskey.
Gonna make another inspection round to remove lose stuff that will fly in high winds and in the afternoon we'll be boarding up most of the windows.

We already had the chance to rehearse when somebody in the water company thought it was a good plan to shut  down the supply, yesterday night. This morning they switched it back on.
I gave up trying to read their minds... :huh:

Luv your preparation frame of mind. Everyone Locals said I was crazy  when , I dropped a 20,000 water cistern in the ground, 20 years ago . Inspector thought I was building an underground house :) . "had to draw up special plans for him ,showing water in the plan . I have 8,000 sqr. ft. of tile roof every ounce of even nightly dew goes in the cistern, stays topped off last 15 years even watering 50 horses  "from rescues" 4 bathes with 4 people living full time. The extra gravity feeds to drip irrigation for 100 plus fruit trees down the driveway .  WATER IS LIFE PEOPLE  :top:

Beer an Liquor is soothing during the storm Passover  :top:

Sounds like u have it covered! :)

Gary wrote:

I checked in the kitchen, we only have manual can openers. Are there any other types?  :D

Kidding aside, we're finishing our preparations today. 2,000 gallons of water in the tanks, generator and cars are filled up, 20 gallons of gas to keep the gen-set going for some time.
Around 50 gallons drinking water, a couple of drums have been filled for flushing the toilets, big supply of batteries, plenty of food  and of course beers and whiskey.
Gonna make another inspection round to remove lose stuff that will fly in high winds and in the afternoon we'll be boarding up most of the windows.

We already had the chance to rehearse when somebody in the water company thought it was a good plan to shut  down the supply, yesterday night. This morning they switched it back on.
I gave up trying to read their minds... :huh:

Funnels??? good to transfer water around and another for gassing the generator

Yup Funnels good . Make pituro thru the entire storm. may as well clean all the fruit trees before a CAT 5 or the fruita will just be gone... :sosad:

I just hate seein all the Aguavate' laying on the ground after the storm . There is mor good food in an avocado than a 12 oz. steak any day.  :top:

ReyP wrote:

Funnels??? good to transfer water around and another for gassing the generator

Yup, got plenty in the shop for gas etc.
Water is where I need it: cisterns (will come out of the faucets and shower after switching on the pump), 5 gallon bottles for the cooler, 1 gallon jugs for cooking, in the drums for toilet flushing.

Meanwhile we finished boarding up, basically we're ready for Irma.

Good to hear you are ready Gary

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who are in the path of Irma. Please keep us mainlanders posted. Be safe, smart and helpful to all!!!

We're as prepared as we can be in an unfinished renovation. We have a new metal roof that is bolted down. We've added hurricane clips. The top two floors are wood, but they're constructed with big beams and bolts. The house was built in the 1950s and has survived at least one hurricane. If it gets too bad, we'll go down to the concrete level below. As I've said before on the forum, we're about 1,000 feet up on a mountain overlooking Humacao. What do you think our chances are to still have a house after Irma?

Definitely old enough to have survived George.
Best to have everything important in the concrete area. Best to be a bit over cautious on this one.
185 mph is serious.  :o

Nanraughley wrote:

The house was built in the 1950s and has survived at least one hurricane. What do you think our chances are to still have a house after Irma?

If the construction is still the same you'll have a good chance. Hugo ('89) and Georges ('98) were strong hurricanes, too and your house was straight in Hugo's path.
It still looks like the eye of Irma will pass like 65 miles north of your location and those 65 miles make a huge difference.

Nanraughley wrote:

As I've said before on the forum, we're about 1,000 feet up on a mountain overlooking Humacao.

We're practically neighbors, then. We're in the hills south of Juncos and Las Piedras. :)

Stay safe!

How long is the storm going to be blasting the island? Has there been any predictions of that?

Not too long. It's moving at a speed of  15 mph and it will get a little faster soon (like 20
mph)
Tomorrow will be a day of conditions getting worse, around 9 PM it should pass north of San Juan. I fully expect to have dinner on the porch Thursday night. :)

Nanraughley wrote:

We're as prepared as we can be in an unfinished renovation. We have a new metal roof that is bolted down. We've added hurricane clips. The top two floors are wood, but they're constructed with big beams and bolts. The house was built in the 1950s and has survived at least one hurricane. If it gets too bad, we'll go down to the concrete level below. As I've said before on the forum, we're about 1,000 feet up on a mountain overlooking Humacao. What do you think our chances are to still have a house after Irma?

Hard to say, this one is stronger that the strongest storm ever to enter the island (1928).

Neiner wrote:

How long is the storm going to be blasting the island? Has there been any predictions of that?

The storm is huge, I have heard 16 hours but who knows.

Moving faster than Henry , from experience I would say possibly 30 hrs. of Pounding then ease out another day on outer bands .
Best surf ever after for 2-3 days 10-12ft. rollers  :joking:

Jose is right behind but it may not come close to PR.

Awesome attitude! :top:

SHHHH Jose' doesn't have his papers yet  :) He might hear you. :D

In All reality the island is Approx. 150 miles long by less than half in width. the storm is tracking 65 miles off the coast along the longest point.
So with the storm being 250 miles wide your looking at a pull from both the Atlantic side and the Caribbean side, thus way more rain ,landslides flooding , and already antiquated power poles and lines down.
Not to be a negative nelly but would be far better if it ran lengthwise over land as a buffer to slow down effects. as predicted now it will be beyond anything at CAT 5 than any storm since 1923.

Everyone be safe , prayers are with you .
And yes wish I were home there on the island. :heart:

Thank you, Gary, dugtx1, and Rey. I appreciate your opinions and advice. Gary, stay safe. My prayers for and good wishes to everyone in Puerto Rico and in my home state of Florida.

Florida , What part?  I was born just North of Tampa on a ranch in Pasco County........
Every time, I returned home from working in the middle east,  it had become geriatric ville and mall walkers of the dead .
I totally dedicated to the island after that . Never regretted a single minute.  :)

dugtx1 wrote:

In All reality the island is Approx. 150 miles long by less than half in width. the storm is tracking 65 miles off the coast along the longest point.
So with the storm being 250 miles wide your looking at a pull from both the Atlantic side and the Caribbean side, thus way more rain ,landslides flooding , and already antiquated power poles and lines down.
Not to be a negative nelly but would be far better if it ran lengthwise over land as a buffer to slow down effects. as predicted now it will be beyond anything at CAT 5 than any storm since 1923.

Everyone be safe , prayers are with you .
And yes wish I were home there on the island. :heart:

Even with the storm I wish I was there also, not sure my wife would agree with that.