Vehicle ownership records

Is there a way to find out who owns a vehicle in Hungary? Today was crossing a road and a vehicle sped up towards me as i was crossing rather than slowing and i want to chase who it was, possibly taking further action. The guy almost caused a serious incident.

Short of filing a police report, and having a dashcam video as evidence of the encounter, it's probably unlikely you'll get anywhere.

Also, wouldn't chasing him also increase the chance of a serious accident?  Two wrongs don't make a right as they say :)

ChrisinHungary wrote:

Is there a way to find out who owns a vehicle in Hungary? Today was crossing a road and a vehicle sped up towards me as i was crossing rather than slowing and i want to chase who it was, possibly taking further action. The guy almost caused a serious incident.

You can tell some things about the car from the plate - the age for example is the first letter.  Some plates are specific to organisations - like MTV plates are Magyar Television.   If I remember correctly, you can tell the area as well and possibly the model of car as they seem to be registered in batches by dealers.   Otherwise I don't know.

If you take the issue to the police, you will need video evidence (as already said) or two witnesses. Else it will be a you said - he said report which will go nowhere.

Don't pursue this issue privately. That is a great way to be the only one getting into legal problems here.

Have to get used to it, some people just do not care about others and some people stop and wait for you to cross.
I play it safe and wave the cars through most times, let them go first, no need to have to run across the st.
I wait until the walk light first turns green to cross, if it even starts to flash wait till the next light to walk.
I guess you would have to file a police report but if you were not hit they won't do anything. I have heard, not sure that if you are hit by a car or bike etc. They might have to pay up to $300. in damages that's all. No big law suits here, your medical would be taken care of to a point as well.Say if you lost a leg or arm, they probably wouldn't pay to replace any missing parts. Best to be careful, scary out there sometimes. By the looks of some, I think they only own a bike!
I am always amazed when I see those people on bicycles with no helmets going the wrong way on a one way st. We almost backed into one just yesterday, he had no clue how close he was to injury either, his fault riding so close behind cars backing up on a one way narrow st. Even the best driver can't see 360. Have to watch your own back here at all times.
Just a couple days ago while walking across a major blvd, in the city on the green walk light with other walkers a silly young driver( a women) stopped on the crosswalk. She had people walking in front of her car and I was walking in the back with others, she silly thing, started to panic and began going backwards, I had to yell out for her to stop, some people should never be allowed to drive.
No big law suits here for injury, I do not think they even have personal injury lawyers here, no one is going to shell out big bucks for any accidents, the auto insurance rates for no fault coverage here is very, very low compared to insurance in the US, just like medical insurance, no malpractice suits to speak of here so rates are lower.
If any one here actually caused a accident, believe me, they are very good at hiding the assets here, your will not see a penny in recovery if injured.
be safe and look both ways, if you get a vibe that a driver is going fast then back down and let them pass.
Many people come to HU and expect things to be like they are at home, No it is cheap here overall because they do not pay out for injuries, We just looked up the cost of our yearly auto insurance rates, about $150. !! No way is anyone getting any big bucks in a law suit from that. That is the min. cost of insurance for a car guess if you get hit by a Rolls you might collect a buck or two but don't count on it.
Over the years here in Budapest I have almost been hit while walking ON the sidewalk by a full sized motorbike, a few pizza mopeds, several bicycles and a few scooters.
I know how upsetting it is, have sympathy for you but do not hold your breath about anything being done about it. We are not in Kansas any more... Life is not valued the same all over the world.
I even saw the body of a dead man just laying in the road with trash bags used to cover the body, he went into traffic and was hit, people were just going about their business waiting for the bus, walking on past him. I was freaking out started to cry and shake but that's me. The police had put literally trash bags, about 5 of them on different parts of the body, over the head , legs, torso and arms and used tape to connect the bags. Poor guy didn't even rate a real body bag! Right near Blaha Luza

Yes, I got a bit overly upset when that poor guy was left dead in the road, cars wizzing by in the next lane, people actually still eating in a sidewalk cafe about 15 feet away and people just going about their business.
Really have to watch your back at all times in the city, .So many people walking with their noses in their phones texting away while real life is going on right in front of them.
That man made me stop and say a prayer on the st. for him, another women was also praying, most people didn't even notice his body by the way they acted.
I asked about him the next day, seems he was a young man from Turkey who was depressed with how things were going for him in Hungary. He ran into traffic. His brother was coming from Turkey to collect his body and take it home, so sad  but life goes on, you must protect yourself and double check when crossing the st. I am a bit freaky about that after seeing that body in the road.

Marilyn Tassy,

Bicycles are allowed to go into one-way streets in the opposing direction in some cases.
http://www.opal-autosiskola.hu/images/k … /k-002.gif
Also, what is the point of big lawsuits, if all treatment is paid by the government? To get 15 milllion HUF from the guy who cant afford to buy a new Suzuki?

About the bags - well, why would police officers carry bodybags with themselves? They covered the guy so that poeple dont stare at it. Coroners bring body bags.

You make it sound like people are inconsiderate a**holes here, yet you are one talking about life-ruining lawsuits and reckless driving. If you are going in reverse, you are at fault whatever happens behind you.
http://www.autoszektor.hu/hu/content/kr … nni-belole
"you can only reverse if you are not causing any distraction to traffic."

To answer the original question, the data of vehicles is an open database, you just have to go into a goverment office. However, you cant just ask for it for personal use, and data of the owners is not public, only the technical details of the vehicle.

http://www.kekkh.gov.hu/hu/adatszolgaltatas_kozlekedesi

Never hit anyone.
Body bags who really cares once your dead...
Just saying life in the big city means many people do not care a thing about how anyone else is doing.
Yes we know bikers can do anything they wish to do even hog all the sidewalks without  regard to anyone else on the walkways.
Funny how in the US many Hungarians we knew were the scammers who actually did get mega bucks from set up accidents.
One guy who has since passed on, set up one of his many "fake" accidents to collect for insurance. Sitting half on and half off the road on a highway in AZ known for having many semi-trucks going on at night. Was hit hard, rolled 6 times across the desert, was  dead from the chest down, spent a year in the hospital learning how to breath again.His set up accident went wrong.
Collected over 2 million in the early 1990's.
He was a total jerk before and worst afterwards.
None of his coherts in crime visited him in the hospital.
Before he was released from the hospital someone somehow gave him our home phone number. He begged us to help him out by getting him food, taking him to get his meds etc. The US gov. had a nurse to help him out but so many quit on him because again, he was a jerk.
He knew us and knew we were suckers to help those in need. Used to go over with my son once a week and do his laundry, even had my sister help him out.
long tale but the kicker was the "poor little me" thing he did on the Sunday LA Times People section,there he was looking all sad and down in the dumps in his wheelchair on the front page. It told the sad story of him getting scammed by a group of professional users. All he had to do is invest $750,000 into their getting richer quicker scheme.
He was dumb enough to hand over all that money ( was cheaper then anyone ever with everyone else he knew, we dorve him to hell and back and he never coughed up gas money) There he was on the front page wearing a T-shirt with the US flag on the front, so gross. talk about fake law suits.
He and his gang set up so many fake insurance scams that one was bound to go wrong.
He was Hungarian and worst then anyone I ever heard of for faking accidents, he was a professional second story burglar, liar and thief before his accident, after that he was mental case no, we Americans usually are not out for big settlements, I could go on for ages about all the HU scammers in the US. Even one guy in HI who killed 2 old HU women on holiday in HI with a fake accident, he didn't get a scratch but those 2 ladies died,wonder if their husbands were behind it all.
All good he did sell off his Ferrari but no problem, on to his 3rd rich wife.

Incorrect. I own a 15 year old MTB, only bike to work 2 kms from my home in the 16th.
I also give way to pedestrians, and never use the sidewalks.

However, you are bitter. I have read of some americans who dropped atomic bombs on other people. They are criminals, all of them. See? This is your general outlook on life.

As I said, police officers dont have body bags, they cant even touch a crime scene (who knows why the guy was laying there?), I guess you've watched too much CSI?

You know, the thing is, most people proudly proclaim they are excellent drivers, never hit anyone, or caused accidents. The other thing is, a lot of these people dont even know what is happening around them, particularly older people. Some drivers are only alive because others pay attention.

I have only driven ~8000 kms in my life. My father drove hundreds of thousands of kms. Never once did he brag about being a good driver (2 accidents, neither was his fault). I guess my point is, if someone must brag about being good in something, that person is not good in it.

"no, we Americans usually are not out for big settlements"

Sure, that is why you are the nation of lawsuits.
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8 … 2dc43e223c

Rawlee wrote:

However, you cant just ask for it for personal use, and data of the owners is not public, only the technical details of the vehicle.

If no personal data on the owner, then I am not sure then how this answers the original question which specifically asked "to find out who owns a vehicle in Hungary?".

Rawlee wrote:

Also, what is the point of big lawsuits, if all treatment is paid by the government?

The government does not account for pain and suffering by the victim that goes beyond treatments like medical bills. Such as permanent loss of life quality, which the government here does not really compensate for.

Also the national government here does not pay "all" treatments in all cases. For example, the government pays zero long term costs if a tourist in Hungary is injured and permanently disabled. Potentially causing long term financial damage to the victim:

https://amymaytrust.com/amysstory

And by the government taking over all treatment payments in Hungary, it means anyone potentially causing an injury has little fear of consequence for their action, risk no loss, and so are not required or even bother to take out proper insurance to compensate victims for their mistakes that are not compensated by the government (as in the above example).

Rawlee wrote:

About the bags - well, why would police officers carry bodybags with themselves? They covered the guy so that poeple dont stare at it.

I did not see anyone suggesting body bags.

But police "normally" should carry blankets or sheets in their cruiser for a variety of reasons, including to cover victims of auto accidents. So if the police where there, and if these were not beat patrolmen (i.e. no cruiser), and if they were the ones who put trash bags on the body on the body as describe, I also do find that odd.

Last time I saw an accident in HU where there was a fatality, the victim was left uncovered in the road, crushed bicycle next to him, the offending vehicle that ran over him was stopped and blocked by a police car.  Within a short time, a black van turned up and unloaded a metal coffin.  That was in Sopron.  It was pretty horrible.   

I've also seen an accident near the West End Shopping Centre where black trash bags were used.

klsallee wrote:
Rawlee wrote:

However, you cant just ask for it for personal use, and data of the owners is not public, only the technical details of the vehicle.

If no personal data on the owner, then I am not sure then how this answers the original question which specifically asked "to find out who owns a vehicle in Hungary?".

Have you not read the link? That data is only availble to you if there is an investigation in process.
Just a post down under this post of yours you've educated me about the all the rights of people, and now you want to unlimited access to private data without legal reason.

klsallee wrote:
Rawlee wrote:

Also, what is the point of big lawsuits, if all treatment is paid by the government?

The government does not account for pain and suffering by the victim that goes beyond treatments like medical bills. Such as permanent loss of life quality, which the government here does not really compensate for.

Also the national government here does not pay "all" treatments in all cases. For example, the government pays zero long term costs if a tourist in Hungary is injured and permanently disabled. Potentially causing long term financial damage to the victim:

https://amymaytrust.com/amysstory

And by the government taking over all treatment payments in Hungary, it means anyone potentially causing an injury has little fear of consequence for their action, risk no loss, and so are not required or even bother to take out proper insurance to compensate victims for their mistakes that are not compensated by the government (as in the above example).

And this BS of the US system is why it isnt the case here. Pain and suffering is highly subjective. Because if you kil lthe murderer, the dead wont come back magically. Bad things happen in life.

The taxpayers, and the government are not obligated to compensate someone for the rest of their life. Move here, work here, pay the taxes here, then you get lifetime treatment, that is the deal. That is why travel insurrance is mandatory when going abroad.

http://index.hu/belfold/2017/08/24/ette … deglatas/#

Noone sued the restaurant. End of story.
However, personal liability is never a question in your culture. If a kitchen normally works with gluten, nuts or really any kind of food, it is naive to expect they can make them totally whatever-free. Like how chocolate always says it may contain nuts.

My partner's friend is allergic to gluten. Her solution is bulletproof - she doesnt eat in restaurants. Kinda neat solution, how she doesnt place blame on others.

I guess my contributions, if they can be called as such, are mainly off-topic. Sorry for that.

Considering, for my online store I needed the approval of 6 authorities so that I can store the personal data of costumers, the hell will freeze over sooner than you will get personal data for personal vendetta. Open a case at a police station, report an almost-accident. You will probably get an almost-investigation.

Rawlee wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Rawlee wrote:

Have you not read the link? That data is only availble to you if there is an investigation in process.
Just a post down under this post of yours you've educated me about the all the rights of people, and now you want to unlimited access to private data without legal reason.

:rolleyes:

Please avoid trying to place "words in my mouth". It is pretty clear to most everyone what point I was actually making, which did not include suggesting I wanted unlimited access to private data. Which is even more clear from my first post above where I said to not pursue this issue privately.

To avoid ad hominem commentary, please review this site's terms of service:

OPINIONS:

The entire concept of this forum is to promote the free exchange of information and ideas. Therefore, everyone has a fundamental right to form and express their own opinions, provided that they comply with the terms of use of the website. However, it is not acceptable to criticize or abuse another member in any way for simply expressing their opinion or making a personal observation. If you find the opinion expressed offensive you should not take matters into your own hands nor should you make any abusive comments: please use the Report button so that we manage the issue.

Rawlee wrote:

And this BS of the US system is why it isnt the case here.

This is not a US issue. Amy May is a UK citizen. How issues in Hungary affected another European citizen.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Last time I saw an accident in HU where there was a fatality, the victim was left uncovered in the road, crushed bicycle next to him, the offending vehicle that ran over him was stopped and blocked by a police car.  Within a short time, a black van turned up and unloaded a metal coffin.  That was in Sopron.  It was pretty horrible.   

I've also seen an accident near the West End Shopping Centre where black trash bags were used.

Fortunately I have not seen vehicular mortality in either Austria or Hungary. But IMHO, I still find those cases described as "odd" simply because I have, unfortunately, seen indications of vehicular mortality in other countries where the police where better prepared. I say "indications" because a sheet on the ground I can only assume was a mortality.

klsallee wrote:

Fortunately I have not seen vehicular mortality in either Austria or Hungary. But IMHO, I still find those cases described as "odd" simply because I have, unfortunately, seen indications of vehicular mortality in other countries where the police where better prepared. I say "indications" because a sheet on the ground I can only assume was a mortality.

I think it's safe to say he was fully dead.  Bloody and a leg and boot sticking out. Squashed by a large truck. A useless and unnecessary death.   The metal coffin was very "clinical" and very matter of fact.  Almost routine. Shoved in a metal box and taken to the hospital, bike taken away and the road washed down by council workers. 1h later and no sign anything took place.

(Incidentally I used to drive a past a mortuary in Islamic Africa, I've seen wooden coffins but they recycle them there . The (islamic) person ends up wrapped in a white sheet, head to Mecca during the burial, usually within 24h).