Getting Cable/Internet in Sao Paulo

I need some help. I have been trying to get internet in my apartment and have run into I don't have enough credit on my CPF. I am new in town and am working on getting my work visa through my employer so I don't have an RNE as of yet. How do I go about being able to get internet? Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you get it solved? It's very frustrating as I have lived in my apartment now for 3 weeks and no internet.

ttt. 

i'm just going to take over op's thread, since nobody has responded for 1.5 years.

i'm in sao paulo now.

i'm looking for apartments in sao paulo.  some of them require me to get my own internet.  what is the process for getting internet, and is it a good or bad idea for me to get an apartment where i have to get the internet on my own on a student visa?

what did the op mean when he said that he didn't have enough credit on his cpf?

thanks

Many stores (mercados) ask for cpf# and some items you buy credits cpf with the amounts. Only used when paying taxes in Brasil.
I would always get my own secure router and not a public WiFi. Will the apt. be wired? If not it is extra $ to wire and ask landlord procedures. I know some do not even allow a/c in apts/condos.
Oi and others offer this. Sky now has option from internet.

ok.  thanks

You can´t get your own internet without your CRNM (RNE) and CPF. For the meantime, go to restaurants or cafes to use their WIFI. It´s not safe and slow but better than none. You can use a VPN to protect you.

robal

i notice that stores often ask you for your cpf when you buys things - like at the supermarket.  also, some stores give you discounts if you give your cpf to them.  i don't give out my cpf number for privacy concerns (i don't want anyone getting a hold of my cpf and trying to steal my identity).  also, i think landlords ask you for your cpf.  i haven't found an apartment yet, though.

what does the brazilian government do with this information about your purchases?  do they use it to tax you?  (i'm not legally allowed to work in brazil on a student visa, so i'm not going to do any brazilian taxes.)

thanks

First get use to showing CPF. It is asked for many things.
Having a CPF is mandatory for all who open a bank account, apply for a loan, obtain a driver's license, having a doctor's visit, or purchase or sell real estate as well as cars. The CPF identifies individual taxpayers when dealing with the Brazilian Federal Revenue Bureau (the IRS equivalent in Brazil).
Nothing to really be concerned as to any bank account. (They have own security measures) Additionally trying to book  flight many airline did away with airline member numbers and now ask for CPF to log in.

Well, I can tell you a lot of things why they ask for your CPF during purchases:

1. Business owners in Brazil and many private citizens have this very bad habit of tax evasion. Reason? They always mention that their government is so corrupt that having to pay more taxes for the politicians to rob is tantamount of putting more gasoline on a fire. You see, by putting your CPF on the "nota fiscal," the business establishment is obligated to register said sale to the state and trigger a tax called ICMS (Imposto Sobre Circulação de Mercadorias e Serviços). You should also put your CPF on the nota fiscal for services.

2. Normally, they ask for your CPF when you purchase electronics, TV, refrigerators etc
because of the guarantee which requires those numbers. But look at the other advantages:

a. Combats piracy and support the responsibility of businesses with the state and society.
b. Discounts in IPVA (taxes on vehicle registration), IPTU (city property tax), and even books.
c. Lottery prizes ranging from R$30,000 to 1million. Drawings on prizes for shows and
soccer games.
d. Redeem credits accumulated on those nota fiscal registered every 6 months by bank transfer. 20-30% depending on the state. The choice most Brazilians do.

You have to inform your bank acct no at Sefaz during registration....

robal

misterinternational,

Game arcades also have computers for internet access. They charge by the minute and cheap. When you log out, all your internet history is automatically erased.

the reason i don't give out my cpf even when there are discounts provided, is because a brazilian told me that if someone steals my cpf number, then they can open up credit cards or a bank account under my name and do identity theft.  the more i give out my cpf, the more chances there are that someone will steal it.

will i have to do brazilian taxes next year if A. my phone bill is registered with my cpf and B. if i give out my cpf when i buy stuff at stores?

thanks

Yes, they do identity theft like the US. They already cloned one of my cards and apparently they sold my number to an international crime organization. There were charges on my account that totaled $50,000 (USD) in  Europe! That same guy also used my credit card number to lodge in a hotel. But I did not pay a cent because I reported the fraud right away upon discovery and I froze my account immediately upon detection. Your friend is right because CPF is equivalent to your Social Security Number in the USA.

You don´t have to do your taxes in Brazil even if you give your CPF on purchases or
acquiring a number from one of the phone providers.

robal

So don´t buy things on-line in Brazil. Ask for the boleto bancario where you pay it in a bank or at Lotericas in cash...

"Cloning" credit cards is often in Brazil. CPF does not matter. I never buy on line in Brazil.

"So don´t buy things on-line in Brazil. Ask for the boleto bancario where you pay it in a bank or at Lotericas in cash..."

i think you're saying that i can avoid buying stuff online to avoid giving out my cpf.  But even if i do buy stuff online in brazil and give out my cpf, i will not have to pay brazilian taxes.  is that correct?

thanks

""Cloning" credit cards is often in Brazil."

i was really worried about this before, because of some scary stuff i read on wikitravel, but i asked my brazilian friend, and he said that cloning cards is rare in brazil.

misterinternational,

Sorry if I confused you. What I was trying to emphasize is when you buy on-line, don´t use a credit card. Instead choose the boleto bancario with the barcode to be printed at checkout. This, you have to bring to a bank or loterica to pay in cash.

You can give out your CPF anytime you wish and that wouldn´t trigger a tax filing to the Brazilian government.

To buy things on-line they want to register (cadastro) you and want your home address, CPF, and place of delivery. If you don´t want your CPF recorded, don´t buy on-line.

robal

"my Brazilian friend, and he said that cloning cards is rare in brazil."
Lucky for him one friend has had his 2 cards "cloned" 3 and 4 times respectfully.
No issue just had to wait for new cards from bank.
Now I will use CC at a big box store, but none that use WiFi to swipe a card

"You can give out your CPF anytime you wish and that wouldn´t trigger a tax filing to the Brazilian government."

ah, ok.  maybe i will use my cpf sometimes to get a discount in the future, then.  i still won't volunteer it if there's not a discount, though.

maybe i'll buy some stuff online in the future, but i haven't needed to so far.

thanks for the clarification.

There are no reports of a CPF being used to steal an identity,  so don't worry about that.  In the US we don't have a national ID, so our SSN has been spontaneously drafted into a function it wasn't designed for.  Brazil does have national IDs - RG for citizens, RNM for resident foreigners - so the CPF is purely a tax ID.
Still, I think it's best not to share personal information that you don't have to.   I almost never put my CPF on a sales receipt.

ok.  thanks