Computers

Has anyone found a good place to buy a desktop computer (modern, nice wide screen, etc.)?
Online, stores, whatever, I'm open-minded.
In the US, I simply went to HP.com or Dell.com, configured, purchased, and in 3 days it was delivered.
The process seems unbelievably over-priced or complicated here in Hungary and I was hoping for a simpler solution.  Thanks in advance for your ideas and experience!

Aqua.hu has several stores in Budapest, go to either of them, you'll find someone who speaks english, they will build a PC for you in 1-3 days. They also sell branded PCs...

And yes, prices are 30-40% higher than in US.

Updating with my experience.
I tried Aqua but unfortunately they were difficult to work with. They had all the parts, but were very unhelpful in putting together a whole system.  They said things like, which motherboard do you want? I asked what are my options? They said look on our website. Then I said which video cards, which types of drives, what types of power supplies, etc go with which parts. They said I'd have to tell them what I wanted and they would let me know if there were any conflicts.
BTW, I spoke to them in Hungarian, this is not a language barrier situation.

While trying to do the work to configure a system I thought adequate, and wondering if I should just pay the extra for a complete system at someplace like Media Markt, I ran across another computer company who advertised complete systems.  I reviewed their systems. Not only had they done the legwork of making full systems, they gave options for upgrades which was as close to a configurator as possible here.  On top of that, their prices were a significant percentage less than Aqua (Media Markt is hugely overpriced, but if you don't know what you are doing, how to configure, etc., this may be someone's only option so I understand how they get away with it.)

I had a pleasant but not perfect experience with them, but overall they seemed to me to be head and shoulders above their competition. (Website can be found at http://www.computerimperium.hu)  They seem to have 3 locations: Buda, Pest, and Esztergom.

Aqua has preconfigured PCs: https://www.aqua.hu/konfiguracio/aqua-szamitogepek.html

I don't know how CI does these days, but years ago they used very cheap components in their prebuilt PCs.

Vicces1 wrote:

On top of that, their prices were a significant percentage less than Aqua

Can you give me examples? Aqua is not the cheapest, but they're pretty OK, stores that are significantly cheaper, are usually dodgy.

There are pretty much 3 stores in .hu I buy from: pcx, aqua and ipon. I know these are good with warranty issues as well.

There are many examples on their website. I found their prices to be less than Aqua, which is really the only other I checked.  Media Markt doesn't count.

I forgot to mention the VAT -- 27%! Ouch!!

Comparing:
http://www.computerimperium.hu/images/I … _HD_PC.jpg
with either one of these at Aqua:
https://www.aqua.hu/termekek/gyartoi-os … 29.html?f=[price=65490,979900__p=1|Intel%C2%AE%20Core%E2%84%A2%20i7%20sorozat__p=2|range-8-12||4|range-240-317]

Aqua is more expensive and the stats aren't as good.

Vicces1 wrote:

Comparing:
http://www.computerimperium.hu/images/I … _HD_PC.jpg
with either one of these at Aqua:

You're comparing branded PCs with "noname" ones.

Maybe, but I know the parts -- Intel, NVidia, etc.

Here's an Aqua with slightly superior specs, but a deeply increased price (I couldn't find an exact match and as I mentioned, the configurators are very difficult to work with).

https://www.aqua.hu/konfiguracio/aqua-g … ady-7.html

At the end of the day, we agree that computers are difficult to build here and grossly expensive, then taxed at 27% -- ouch!

Vicces1 wrote:

Maybe, but I know the parts -- Intel, NVidia, etc.

Yeah I can see that... The price of mainboard of the aqua PC starts at 80kHUF. The price of the one in CI starts from 20kHUF. The rest of components are similarly just "slightly" superior. (E.g. did you notice that the aqua one comes with water cooling? I bet you also know what kind of PITA and labour that is to set up...)

I generally build my PCs myself, purchase the components one by one, use arukereso.hu and argep.hu to find good prices, I've been using the stores I mentioned earlier, their prices are not considerably more expensive than the cheapest stores, but I prefer to pay the 0.5-1% because I trust these stores.

Trust is invaluable.
On a parts basis, I haven't compared.

I don't own stock in these companies, just conveying my experience.
Whatever works for you!

"On a parts basis, I haven't compared."

Then it doesn't make much sense to compare the prices, does it..?  :top: You repeated several times that one of the two stores is cheaper...

atomheart wrote:

I generally build my PCs myself, purchase the components one by one, use arukereso.hu and argep.hu to find good prices, I've been using the stores I mentioned earlier, their prices are not considerably more expensive than the cheapest stores, but I prefer to pay the 0.5-1% because I trust these stores.

My desktop PC has recently become so slow that I've given up using it on the internet. I suspect the problem is with the Vista operating system. I have wondered if some of the Microsoft updates actually slow down your machine so you get fed up and buy their latest operating system. What OS do you use and in what form do you buy it? At one time they came on CDs but is this no longer the case?

Vista is ancient. I doubt that the updates slowed it down. Before windows 7, performance degradation was a big issue, lots of people reinstalled the OS at least once a year. In your case (if the degradation is that drastic), I also suspect malware infection. Get someone to reinstall the OS and also install an antivirus before spending money on a new OS version.

I use win 10, buy it on DVD.

Fidobsa,
I agree with Atomheart that re-installations used to be a thing but are no longer.
Generally, you get Win10 on DVD or download. (Download if upgrading, for example, something has to be on the computer at first so it knows how to run!).

I must say that if you are running Vista, that tells me that your hardware is probably as old as the OS.  So that is one potential speed issue.  What was once adequate RAM (memory) to process a simple webpage is now cluttered with webpage, interactive experiences on that page, pop-ups, background processes, other running programs, etc. It starts to add up quickly.

Another potential issue is system maintenance.  There are programs such as CCleaner, MalwareBytes, and others that are free to use (or you can upgrade to premium versions) that help the system run more efficiently and without malware. It's not just viruses anymore, but also Ransomware, trojanware, and more, all potential issues, even with Windows Defender or another firewall software piece, and even if you go nowhere near compromised sites.

atomheart wrote:

"On a parts basis, I haven't compared."

Then it doesn't make much sense to compare the prices, does it..?  :top: You repeated several times that one of the two stores is cheaper...

Yes, on a complete system, I compared prices.  And with the links provided, I stand by my statement that Computer Imperium was less expensive for an entire system.  And my experience with Aqua versus Computer Imperium was night and day in customer service.  Even if they were equal pricing, I'd go with the better service.

Obviously, we do not shop the same stores, so you may have better luck with your stores.  We're not in competition!  :par:

"Yes, on a complete system, I compared prices. "

Sorry, but that's just stupid. A system with much much better specs at aqua is more expensive than a pc built from cheaper components at CI ==> aqua is more expensive.

edited

atomheart wrote:

Sorry, but that's just stupid. A system with much much better specs at aqua is more expensive than a pc built from cheaper components at CI ==> aqua is more expensive.

edited

OK, I'm stupid. Thanks for your feedback.

Vicces1 wrote:
atomheart wrote:

edited

OK, I'm stupid. Thanks for your feedback.

Your reasoning is stupid, I don't know about you, don't know you. I wanted to either correct some false statements that might mislead others, or find out that my info about certain merchants is wrong. I believe I achieved the first, what I did wrong, I tried to make you realize your mistake and make a better deal. Feels like your bad experience has clouded your judgement, you only care about defaming a store...

atomheart wrote:

Your reasoning is stupid, I don't know about you, don't know you. I wanted to either correct some false statements that might mislead others, or find out that my info about certain merchants is wrong. I believe I achieved the first, what I did wrong, I tried to make you realize your mistake and make a better deal. Feels like your bad experience has clouded your judgement, you only care about defaming a store...

There's no misleading others. You were simply insulting and rude and you have damned yourself as someone who cannot discuss matters logically or courteously.  Instead of being insulting, you could have looked up several parts at your beloved aqua.hu and compared them with computer imperium. You may have been right, you may have learned something, who knows? But now you are just some insulting internet troll who can't support statements with other than vitriol, and I am now ignoring you.

For anyone else reading this line of discussion, I stand by my comment that my experience, regardless of price, was superior at computer imperium. I hold no stock, nor receive a commission from them. I am sure they are not to everyone's taste but they satisfied my consumer needs, where I had an absolutely rotten experience with aqua.

Thank you, end of my discussion with fidobsa, open to discuss with anyone else.