Best way to get to Cabarete from Punta Cana

Hi Everyone,

We've been in Punta Cana now for 2 weeks and really like a lot of it. We'd also like to explore the north shore to see if it's a better fit. Would like to spend 5 days or so in Cabarete (think Ocean Dream). What's the best way to get there (we have driven ourselves in the DR yet). Can't seem to find any info on flights and I'm thinking a driver would be crazy expensive. Don't want to go the bus route, so I don't mind spending a reasonable amount - just nothing that would be outrageous (costing more for transportation than rental cost of unit).

Thanks, as always your help is greatly appreciated!!!

you might want to try DominicanShuttles.com

Thank you, just checked and ground transportation is $400 US one-way. Is it really that bad of a drive where we should not rent a car? We'd only be driving during the day.

I can't say, have never driven it. You might wait to hear back form more experienced expats.

Wow 400 is nuts. There are no flights!

The drive is not fun but is doable.  You can go the Santo Domingo to Santiago to Puerto Plata to Cabarete route. It will take you 6 hours plus.

You can take the turnoff to Samana before Santo Domingo and after that someone else will need to help out as I have not driven it.

With all the info on taxis over and around Puerto Plata, does anyone have related info for around Moca....It seems I am one of few interested in that area....even with staying with a local family, I would like to be a little independent.....

Hello Jgolak:
I have driven from Bavaro to Sosua and it is a very beautiful drive and if you rent a car and take your time and no speeding as there is Radar on these roads it is a piece of cake. If you just google driving directions from Bavaro to Cabarete Dominican Republic it will show you the fastest route there and says it is 5 hours and 20 min. which is with out stops. The one We took was from Punta Cana on highway 3 to San Pedro then Highway 4 to Santo Domingo Este then 7 north to the split at Highway 5 which goes over to Las Terrenas but you want the coastal highway 5 going to Cabrera and takes you to Cabarete. The one thing you have to do is put Google map on your phone and will give you step by step driving directions while driving and if we had not had that on the phone we would of got pretty lost in some of the small towns that we went through any Questions just ask and will answer any I can.
Rigger

Jgolak Also If you are driving there always keep a Hundred Pesos close by on the console or some place and your wallet and money and purse out of sight as besides all the road tolls there are some small towns where the police will be standing in the center of the road and will stop you and say they need some lunch so we just gave them 100 pesos and went on our way with a big wave for him and a big smile and figure that we chalked it up to one more road toll as we paid about 800 pesos in total one way for road tolls to Sosua
Rigger

I knew you would show them that route!!!!

Thank you all for your help! Truly appreciate the wisdom and experience of fellow members!!!!

definitely go route 4 as of boca chica...you avoid the very hidden and necessary turn off to Samana toll road if you take 3 too far...meaning 7 is not as easy to find from 3...I have a turn by turn with pictures and descriptions of how not to get stuck driving into Santo Domingo and trying to turn around from the airport...also a list of tolls.  The first time we were stopped and had to 'congratulate' a gentleman on his 'birthday' was on route 4.  Must be the place to stop tourist...