What to expect when moving to the USA

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to the USA? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about the USA?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to the USA?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to the USA?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Well, First time, I travelled solo was to Seattle, WA and been around a couple of other states for travel.

The most important thing is the budget!
LivingSocial, Groupon and any other apps that offer coupon are very useful to save at least 20% or so.

People are different depending on how you talk to them, most of them would help you with open arms and smile but some will just ignore you depending on your looks and race (which happened to me more than once).

Yelp isn't the one source for food and placing but it won't show you the hidden gem of that town or place. other apps are recommended.

Tinder (LoL)
Airbnb       
Lot more and Facebook groups of the city and others are very helpful for longterm and short-term too.

First the status.

Have you the green card, work permit,h1b etc..
Don't expect something cool with trump
If you are legal then everything is ok
Second your budget.
You can have everything you want in us. Absoluly everything internet car plane...
So regarding the city you suppose to go, check the average income necessary to have a decent life.
Everything else can be changed, yes it is more easy to live in Florida or California than Ohio..but the country is big, you can find what you like.
So budget, immigration status and job or good university to study.
If you are serious, enthusiast, well organized and in good health, America avec fantastic opportunities.

Yours,

Matthieu

I was a single mum of two (8 & 12) when we moved to Texas. Best decision was to leave my kids with my mum while I sorted my new life in US. My hospital paid for my plane and 1 week hotel stay. HR personnel picked me up from the airport and taken me to the hotel. Picked me up again the following day for my paperworks. I asked her to dropped me off to the car rental company so i can get myself a car and start looking for my apartment before my one week free hotel is up. Best decision coz you cant get anywhere in US without a car, get your social security number, get my Tx driver's license and looked for apartments. I rented the car for three weeks before I can buy my own car. For expats, there is a program where you can buy a car with an affordable interest even if you your credit score is low because you just arrived from other countries. I checked with Carmax and other companies, they will give you 12-18% interest :( but the expat program is around 5% only. So its better to do your research well.

Hi Priscilla,
I scouted the United Stated first, loved it. I never felt that I belonged in France anyway, I couldn't understand people's ways of thinking.
The most important element is to embrace and immerse yourself in the American culture, then you'll learn to enjoy life.
Plan: stick to the plan, be resilient. Have a life plan, a location, a business plan. Save money before you go to the USA.
Have a great day

i want to move to florida with my husband and son and get a job, need to know where to start looking for a job visa house school any help would be appreciated thanks

Hi Marie.

First of all, check out companies/corporations that are hiring the kind of job you are in/qualified at and whether they are willing to file for your work visa. Where are you from and what is your specialty/current job for both you and your husband?

hi i was a registered chilminder and i have 27years experience with children  also i used to work for Q2labsolutions, my husband worked for Q2labsolutions  also but he also has his class 2 driving licence and used to drive cars all over the uk

Hello marie.johnson and Mae,

Let's please stick to the posted topic, "What to expect when moving to the USA".  This helps others follow along and find information quickly.

You're welcome to post on other topics that relate to immigrating to the USA, or start a new topic. 

Thanks.
Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

MOVING TO THE USA WITHOUT A JOB IS POSSIBLE, BUT IT ISN'T EASY.
YOU DON'T NECESSARILY NEED A GREEN CARD.
YOU'LL NEED A LOT OF PAPERWORK.
MOVING TO THE USA MIGHT MEAN LESS HOLIDAY.
THE WORK CULTURE IS VERY FOCUSED.
THE COST OF LIVING VARIES A LOT.
MEDICAL INSURANCE IS A MUST.
YOU CAN GET A CREDIT CARD AS A FOREIGNER.

@bracknelson

Please lower your caps lock when posting. It is considered to be the same a shouting at someone. Thanks.  :)