What to expect when moving to Tunisia

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Tunisia? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Tunisia?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Tunisia?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Tunisia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

It is really hard to answer this!!  Firstly it will depend on which country you are in, have you ever lived in another country and especially have you ever been in an Islamic country??  Do you have any language skills other than English and so and so and so.............

The first thing I advise is to try to learn some Arabic before you come.  French is also good but beware that if you look anything but Arabic you can be taken for a ride very quickly from just buying potatoes in the souq to renting a home.  Best you have some contact here before you arrive.  Someone you can trust!

The culture here can be very complicated, and many foreigners find it very difficult to adapt to the society.  If you come here for work then it can be easier as you will have immediately a network of locals, who can advise and guide you.

Always keep in mind that we are not a first world country!  Even we have close ties to Europe, we are not European and even though it is in essence an Arabic country sometimes we don't act like Arabs. 

I can give a lot of information which may or may not be relevant so if you are intending to come here as an expat and have specific questions then I will be happy to answer all on this thread.