What to expect when moving to Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Mauritius? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Mauritius?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Mauritius?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Mauritius?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi

Several things come to mind. Depending where you're coming from. For me, the relentless heat.   The absolute love of paperwork and form filling in every aspect of trade and commerce, you can't buy so much as a mobile phone without several forms bring issued, which much be countersigned and processed!

The driving! Red lights and speed limits are just suggestions. The apathy of the police. The expense of owning a car (100% tax). The fact that fresh milk doesn't exist, just UHT. The difficulty of finding decent builders, mechanics, trades people. How little people get paid. The isolation.

Lots really. But the lifestyle and the people make up for it. You NEED a western salary though, if you're going to be working, local pay isn't enough to live on.

Think gsilemaurice puts it fairly well... I think too that careful selection of region/location of where you decide to live, North, east, west or south of the island can make a large difference.
Most expats from what I gather are most concentrated in the North & along the western side of the Island right down to the south west. This can make a big difference to your ease of networking. (Unless have access to / are already familiar with people in other regions).
While on paper it may look small an island in size once one starts living here traveling an hour across the island eg east to west can somehow start to feel prohibitive for ease of networking / maintaining regular social meets compared to simply popping out 15-20 minutes down the road.
Do your research...

Hi
I have a few questions.  How difficult is it to actually find a job once you are in Mauritius?  Should one rather try and find proper positions before moving over? (My partner has a job but I would want to earn a salary too).

Once there, is there a large selection of secondhand motor vehicles for sale?  How is the 100% tax applicable? Can one drive with an international driving license or does one need a Mau license?

Thanks

Alexandra du Toit wrote:

Hi
I have a few questions.  How difficult is it to actually find a job once you are in Mauritius?  Should one rather try and find proper positions before moving over? (My partner has a job but I would want to earn a salary too).

Once there, is there a large selection of secondhand motor vehicles for sale?  How is the 100% tax applicable? Can one drive with an international driving license or does one need a Mau license?

Thanks

Hi,

Finding a job can be very easy or extremely complicated depending on your profile - your competency and experience and whether such a profile cannot be found locally.
It is recommended you start searching for a job well before moving.

Secondhand motor vehicles are easily available for sale and the dealer will help you with the taxation, pricing and financing.
You can drive with an IDL for some time but will ultimately need to get a Mauritian license if you will be there in the long term.

Thank you Winston,

Very informative answer.  Appreciate your time!

You mentioned your partner. If you aren't married make sure you bring the correct notarised paperwork confirming that you have been living together.

Hi,
Indeed will bring along all the paperwork.
Thanks