What to expect when moving to Malta

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Malta? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Malta?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Malta?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Malta?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla
do you reside in Malta?

Thank you
Ani

AniHristova wrote:

Hi Priscilla
do you reside in Malta?

Thank you
Ani

Priscilla is Admin and does not live here!

Ray

My only advice would be to lower ones expectations.....

I would recommend people to join expat.com!

Everything I needed was on howtomalta.com. I followed the advice there and my move went very smoothly.

Very difficult to open a bank account

Rents are going through the roof in Malta. Maltese Landlords Very Very Greedy would not recommend coming here now. I have been told that Gozo is much much cheaper to live

Terry4646 wrote:

Rents are going through the roof in Malta. Maltese Landlords Very Very Greedy would not recommend coming here now. I have been told that Gozo is much much cheaper to live

Rentals on Gozo have also risen sharply but still cheaper then Malta.

My mistake was rushing into renting an apartment from a landlord that tried to rip me off at every opportunity she could.

Another was underestimating the levels of pollution and dirt. On a weeks holiday and sticking to the tourist areas you don't really realize the level of congestion, rubbish laying on streets and the standard of footpaths.

Before moving my idea of Malta was more aligned to Gozo, as in a more relaxed island life.

Malta is actually quite stressful in terms of noise, congestion and the "mela" attitude to services.

The weather and the sea are great. Things that can't be ruined by Greed. Well, for now at least.

You really know how to sell it!

Well you have got to be honest about the situation haven't you

Terry4646 wrote:

Well you have got to be honest about the situation haven't you

Maybe not quite so negative, if you are not happy in Malta why not move to Gozo?.

Hi All,

I am moving to Gozo in September next year.. hope it will be sooner so my question is when is the best time to start asking for long lets, I've read somewhere that most people start letting in April but I think that is a bit to soon to ask someone to hold onto a house/apartment..
We are visiting in December so might ask around just to plant the seed any advice would be grateful or any contacts regarding renting property in the Gozo Xaghra area

Thank you in advance
Lorraine.

Gozo might be nicer, but I already feel the "big island" small after 4 years going around it, and having visited pretty much everything that is visitable.

Maybe if having a powerful boat, that you would stroll over to sicily or something like that. If not, I would need huge holidays, and just thinking about getting to the airport and back from Gozo gives me hikes...

Lettings begin anytime of the year depending on when they were taken on, holiday lets start getting busy from April.  I think most people start seriously looking about two to three months before the date they want to move in, it depends on the landlord our first rental we found in December and moved into in March but some landlords may not wish to wait, also it depends on whether the property is still being let out or empty.

Thank you Mo

I just like to ask these questions before I leave things too late but I am visiting in December and will have a look round Xaghra just to get an idea of what areas are like, and prices I have a small dog and I'm debating weather to bring her with us or not, I know some people wont let if you have a pet.

But will know more in December. but thank you for your reply x

MaltaCommando wrote:

Gozo might be nicer, but I already feel the "big island" small after 4 years going around it, and having visited pretty much everything that is visitable.

Maybe if having a powerful boat, that you would stroll over to sicily or something like that. If not, I would need huge holidays, and just thinking about getting to the airport and back from Gozo gives me hikes...

I agree it can be a pain going and returning from the airport but most people are not doing the journeys that often.   It's nice to visit Malta but it's a relief when you get off the ferry back here on Gozo.

You are now Malta??

Hamidrezagharib wrote:

You are now Malta??

Who are you referring to?

i am not in Malta but will be in September 2019, i just like to ask questions and get things right in my head... I get excited haha i cannot wait for this move, just lets hope hubby has enough work to keep us there he is an electrician.  so fingers crossed

As regards bringing your dog with you I think as it's a small dog you will probably be ok as a lot of people inrented places have dogs, there are some nice walking areas in most villages for when it's not too hot.

I opened an account very easily!

Not all landlords are greedy. That's an over generalisation. Shop around and use a reputable property agent

Why how many Landlords have you dealt with Mikesage because I have dealt with about two dozen trying to get good deals and that includes property agents.

From all the research I have done, retiring in Malta is almost impossible if you do not have a lot of money. Are you finding this to be true.
Thanks

mikesage wrote:

Not all landlords are greedy. That's an over generalisation. Shop around and use a reputable property agent

That's true. It's a matter of mutual trust and respect. Since more than 4 years we are paying the same low rent for your apartment. The contract was renewed 2nd time with all same figures except the dates   :D

Drgnfli1 wrote:

From all the research I have done, retiring in Malta is almost impossible if you do not have a lot of money. Are you finding this to be true.
Thanks

Definitely no, there are many pensioners here who only have their state pensions to live on and perhaps a small private pension in some cases,and still manage to pay rent and survive.  It is harder now that the rents have risen and the pound against the euro low but hopefully in time this will improve.

Drgnfli1 wrote:

Thanks

Depends on the height of your pension and your expectations of the lifestyle as a retiree.
And it also depends on the alternatives you have.
I guess pensioners from Luxembourg or Brussels will do well in Malta, even when struggling in their home country  :lol:

I'm sure there are lots of UK pensioners  managing on state pension on Gozo, Malta might be a little tougher but possible. It really depends on your lifestyle. The biggest issue is the exchange rate.

Hi There....... and what do you mean by a low price?

Warm Home Malta wrote:

What post are you referring to?

Warm Home Malta wrote:

A few more details would help.

GozoMo wrote:
Warm Home Malta wrote:

Very strange: I saw somebody who wrote that they still had a very low price for rent after 2 years. I asked: what is a low pricew and it seems I am in another toppic.

Sorry, I just responded and thougt I did good, but I also don't see the quote I responded to,

Warm Home Malta wrote:
GozoMo wrote:
Warm Home Malta wrote:

Very strange: I saw somebody who wrote that they still had a very low price for rent after 2 years. I asked: what is a low pricew and it seems I am in another toppic.

Sorry, I just responded and thougt I did good, but I also don't see the quote I responded to,

I think you're referring to Matm911's post?

We are still paying less than 400 (rent+util+int) for a 2-bedroom apt with balcony (approx. 90sqm) plus half roof space with a wash room (another 30sqm) - same price for the last 4 years - and will stay like this until 2020.
The apt is bright, dry and well ventilated in a quiet area in M'scala.
You won't find such an offer with an agent. Only private. The landlady likes us  :kiss:

However, cost of living and expectations do no longer match the quality levels here, therefore we'll leave next year. I guess, the other one's grass is always greener ...  :lol:

I need the phone number for your labdlady have you seen prices recently in the last month up by a third. Hence me waiting till December January

Yes, I've seen the prices. Ridiculous. Even here in the South  :huh:
But there are still lots of Maltese who own nice houses, apartments and garages which are unused. And they are not even thinking about renting it. You have to find such a person and convince him/her to rent it to you - even when they quote you the rent still in Maltese Lira  :D

I probably wouldn't stay in Malta when I have to pay 800 Euro for a flat, built in a lousy quality.
And maybe combined with an absurd gross salary of not even 25k. That's Insane ... and insulting.
I cannot understand the attitude and motivation of the customer service slaves ...

I have my motives mainly I don't trust the British government not screw my business it's 90% Eu based and I am awful at languages

Banks dont work, transport is terrible, people cant drive, landlords will all steal your deposit.

that said if you can bandle all of the above, its a good life, i managed a few years and apart from the racism which is a key part of the maltese experience i have no regrets, take the rough with the smooth and when you cant handle it any more, move on :)