What to expect when moving to Japan

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Japan? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Japan?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Japan?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Japan?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Generally, most of my experiences in Japan have been positive. I learnt a lot about Japan before coming here to live. The politeness; cleanliness and brilliant transportation may take a bit of getting used to, depending on which country you come from. I come from England, so the difference is pretty big. One thing I had to get used to was the diet, food.  Very different from England. No fish and chips or Sunday roast dinners. I got used to and enjoy Sushi dishes and Nabe (Japanese style stews self-serving from a pot on the table). Depending where you live, trains and buses can be pretty crowded.

I was once in Japan and I really liked the mentality. All people were very sympathetic and friendly. I also liked umbrellas in every store . I will definitely return again to this country.