We're gonna' call Puerto Rico our NEW FOREVER PLACE.

Our questions are in BOLD/Underline)... I did not know which category to use, as our questions cover almost ALL of them!!  To the moderator: Should I break up this listing and place it in several categories?

The missus and I have had enough of Australian and American federal  politics...so, have decided to move to a less 'politically correct' place. Must be a warmer (but not super hot like Las Vegas), tropical place with a lower cost of living for similar lifestyle in USA as well as relatively safe, friendly people.  So far we have narrowed our search down (in order or preference):
1. PUERTO RICO
2. PUERTO RICO
3. PUERTO RICO
Why?...
I am a US Veteran (USAF 58-62) and the US VA medical benefits are a huge draw-card for us. How does the main VA hospital/medical facility in PR compare to Hawaii/Arizona/Nevada? I had great experiences in those states over the past 4-years.

Returned to Australia 5-months ago to "sell-up" our 'stuff', then make the move. 

We have lived on some pretty remote places...Central Australia, Rep of Nauru, small Australian offshore island, Fiji... so we understand the lifestyle, frustrations, etc... We have visited/worked in many more...Singapore, East and West Malaysia, Bali Indonesia, Brunei, Vietnam, Thailand, New Zealand, Nauru, Tuvalu, Wallis Is, Marshall Is, both Samoa's, India, Maldives, Nepal, Bangladesh, Antarctica (I worked there), border areas of Mexico, USA (most recently Volcano HI, Seattle WA, Prescott AZ, Las Vegas NV)...

Having lived in USA/Mexican border towns when I was young, it was a must to have a smattering of Mexican Spanish...I still try to hold a very basic conversation with 'ham radio' operators in many Latin American countries. The missus speaks 3 languages, but, not Spanish (yet) but says she's willing to learn...and 'immersion' is probably the fastest way to do it!

At 75, I don't plan on working at a regular job... but the missus is interested in some part-time work or opening/buying a small business (She's just a young chick at 60...but looks 30!!).  Is it difficult to buy/start a small business there?

We do a lot of personal/business activities via the internet, so having high-speed broadband is very important.  Where is HSBB Internet available there and how much does it cost?

From our past experiences, we know it's better to rent/lease while searching for our new "permanent hacienda"... Would like to find a rental not too far from the city in a high location.  Possibly an apartment or condo on a top floor with roof access (to put up my radio antennas). Any suggestions where to start looking?  Would it be better to work with a known-good rental agency or use the internet and Skype  resources...or?

We are not very sporty people, but, do enjoy walking and 'lawn bowls'... Is there walking clubs such as HHH there?  Any lawn bowls activity? American Legion?

We will only be bringing 4 full suitcases with us, so will need to purchase a lot of things... Is there a Craigslist? Other popular online sites to find second-hand household things? 

Of course we will be buying a car there... Anyone had good/bad experiences with particular dealers with used cars?  We plan on doing a lot of exploring/sightseeing, so, would it be better to get a 4WD, Pickup or medium sedan/SUV?

At the writing of this message we are at the stage of putting our homes, boat, cars, trailer, general goods, up for sale... Our plan is to leave Australia by the end of the year or early 2018...sooner if possible. 

WE REALLY ENJOY ALL THE INFORMATIVE comments and offer of help on this forum!!  Are there similar or complimentary forums to check out?

Cheers from "down under",   Eddie & Mina DeYoung

Welcome to Puerto Rico. I can answer some of your questions. First, my brother and some friends of mine use the VA hospital/doctors. They give it a very high rating. There are some main VA hospitals on the island and then there are clinics. Without question, it just recently saved one friend's life.
Internet services vary greatly in quality, depending on where you live.  I live on the east coast in a development called Palmas del Mar in Humacao and the service from Liberty Cable is excellent.
There is a Craigslist, but classificadosonline is more commonly used.  Also, as where I live, there is a local buy,sell trade Facebook page. 
I drive a Toyota RAV 4, but wait until you get here and see which car tickles your fancy. 
I suggest that you start by getting short-term rentals, perhaps Air BnB in various locations around the island to get the flavor of each area.  The east coast has access to the virgin islands. San Juan is a city.many folks enjoy Rincon on the west coast.
As for part time work, it depends on your skills. If your wife is a seamstress or a baker or can teach Spanish or does housework she can probably make some money where I live.  In other words, if she can be self-employed, she can pick up some money.  Finding a job is more difficult, but not impossible.
There are not may formal 'clubs' here but Puerto Ricans are very friendly and chances are you will find a good group of friends.  It just may take a bit of time, depending on where you live.  Having said that, I am off to join my buddies at water aerobics, next is the book club and  square dancing tonight.
Contact me if you are in my neighborhood.

Muchas gracias Frogrock! Esta grande informacion! (Just trying out my poor Spanish).  I used to love going to "golden Zumba", square dancing, senior aerobics when in the states...nothing like that here is Australia.  Looks like we will be bringing our genuine Western Boots and pearl-button shirts!  Cheers (hasta luego), Eddie

It is best to break your questions because it becomes a ball of twine when multiple people are addressing multiple questions that are unrelated. It also makes for more reading by those that want to answer to determine if somebody has answered already the part they have info on or not.
Typical subjects are:
Health, transportation, insurance, renting, buying a home, west coast, East coast, City living, Farming, etc.
Rey

Ola Rey,  Thanks for the suggestion. Will do...
and appreciate all the links you sent!!
Eddie