Realistically - Jobs in Cambodia

Hi everyone,

I've been on the net looking for jobs in Cambodia.  Outside of the teaching route, how hard would it be?  I'm talking being there meeting businesses and applying in person.   

I ask because I had a plan on being there at the end of this year but I think I'm just going to wing it and see where it takes me.  Problem is not my expenses that I would incur there but more of what I have left here in the U.S.  Although I have it very manageable.   

I'll be okay for a short while but there will be a point where I will need some source of income. 

Just curious from those with real life experiences over there.

What are you specialized in? Or Bette yet, what is your passion? There are plenty of jobs like hospitality, banking, manufacturing and NGO etc....best of luck!

Hi Kimleang,

My background is in finance and sales.  My question mainly has to do with the ease of finding a job.  When I look at the classifieds, some of the requirements seem ridiculous and it's funny how they ask for pictures and set an age limit for some positions.  What I'm trying to ask is would it be easier if I was out there looking versus doing it virtually from the net.     

I do have friends over there who are local Khmer or Khmer from abroad.  They're telling me to just wing it and it will work itself out.   

Thanks Kimleang

Vourn,

It should be fairly easy to secure a position quickly by just walk up and apply in person as skilled professional is much sought after in this market. 

Requirements might seems outrageous to some, but it's pretty much the norm in most of Asian countries and some European as well.  You will be asked to include photo, age, sex, race, marital status and religion etc....so , get used to it!

If you have specific skills set and looking to work in similar field...it would be very helpful to send CV and/or contact potential employer ahead of time to let them know someone like yourself will be in the market for job.  I have seen lots of good talents apply for good paying job to only find out that they are one week too late!  Want to get what you want? Start hunt early!

Important: many local own and operate businesses are currently employing highly qualified professional (local + expat) and pay competitive salary. Therefore, don't limit yourself to only applying for international firm or NGO only....widen your job search horizon!

Good luck,
Leang

Thanks Leang.  That's exactly what I was asking about. 

Arkun Chrun

How did it all go Vourn

Hey Sean,

It's really difficult unless you are physically there.  I've been getting small talk and no results with most places. 

I think I'm going to visit once more and work on meeting these employers first.