Renting a car

Hi to every one , I'm happy that I found this site since we are planing to visit Costa Rica in February for ten days,renting a car and checking out a few places to get a felling about the country ,it's climate and if we fall in love with it then plan our move to our new home a place where life is at slower pace and worm sun is shining for most of the days and we are surrounded with beautiful nature. I really appreciate if any one could give us some helpful information regarding renting cars, driving through county and places to check out. Thank you all so much.

MANAZsha wrote:

Hi to every one , I'm happy that I found this site since we are planing to visit Costa Rica in February for ten days,renting a car and checking out a few places to get a felling about the country ,it's climate and if we fall in love with it then plan our move to our new home a place where life is at slower pace and worm sun is shining for most of the days and we are surrounded with beautiful nature. I really appreciate if any one could give us some helpful information regarding renting cars, driving through county and places to check out. Thank you all so much.

Hola MANAZsh,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I recommend that you first browse through the many, many posts here to help you get an idea of what Costa Rica is really all about, places to visit, what to look for and avoid.

Renting a car here is for the most part the same as renting in any other country.  I would suggest that before you leave the car rental lot, take a picture of all sides of the vehicle with the representative in the picture if there are any dents or scratches whatsoever.

As I often say, Costa Rica is a very small country.  I would recommend that you rent a car and just drive.  You will find cheap hotels/motels/cabinas just about anywhere you go.  Outside of any of the larger cities, I would say it's very safe - using common sense of course.

The other thing that many of us will tell you, you have to find what is the best area for "you."  What one person likes and/or appreciates, another may not.  Along the coasts, you'll find very hot weather.  You can go just a few kilometers inland at higher elevations and you'll find there be as much as twenty degrees difference.  You have to find your piece of paradise.

And finally, as every expat that's been here a while will tell you, if you do decide to move here - RENT FIRST - for at least one or two years.  If you don't, you may end up like many who regret not taking this advice.

Good luck on your search!   :top:

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team member

MANAZsha wrote:

As Dave said, live here a while first before deciding to move. Being on vacation here is different than living here and so choose a place, rent for at least a little while and see how it feels.

Renting a car is super expensive here especially if you plan to go out in the campo or country side where you will need a 4wd vechicle, especially in the rainy season (about May thru Nov). Figure on $500 a WEEK to rent a 4x4! That's with full insurance and frankly I would not drive here without that. IF you are going to stay on main roads and do no off-road or bad road driving you might be able to use your Master Card or Visa to waive some of the required insurance BUT there is fine print to read. On my MC contract it said if i drive off a main road, then it's NOT covered. What is a main road? No clear definition...

Ticos drive badly. There, I said it. Sorry but it's a stereotype and it's generally true.
You have to be a defensive driver, ready for anything at all times. It's not like getting on a U.S. freeway and kicking back and enjoying the ride. Roads are often in bad shape. Maybe a big hole or huge unmarked bump. A Tico might just decide to park right in the highway without pulling over, to talk to a friend or pick someone up. BE VERY ALERT!

Also tickets: they are expensive (some higher than U.S. fines) if you get pulled over. Follow the rules even if Ticos don't.

If you are in an accident, god forbid, do not move your car. Call the transito (highway patrol) and wait for them to come before moving it even if you are holding up 50 cars behind you. Set out cones to warn people and stay out of the way in case someone doesn't see it. Take photos from every angle while waiting for the transito.

On backroads  watch out for sloths or boas or wild pigs crossing the roads, people walking in the middle of it, with no regard for traffic, and downed trees etc.

I guess you can tell, I don't like driving here at all! LOL. I do love living here but hate the way people drive and the bad roads themselves.

Thanks Dave for your great tips. We are more interested to visit places atound inland since is not so hot and humid. How are the roads and is ten days enough to get an idea about the country and way of leaving for over fifties expats.