Sending boxes to Latvia

I am moving to Latvia, and of course, cannot take all my belongings with me on the plane. I must mail them. It is approximately five mid-size boxes. I have housing arranged for my first week through airbnb.com, but after that I don't have any arrangements. What suggestions do you experts have? I am coming next week.

Pack all and hire a container sent by ship to Riga port. You arrive and bring a van and empty at your pace. Cost less than ever you think. I did it you can.I too was a lawyer so know all the tricks. Cost me around 450 pounds half shared container with all my everything insured. The other half was closed off as my load was first off in Riga his In Sweden. I was given just three days once landed to clear and less cost involved did it all in one full day four journeys six helpers four vans. 28 miles one way home site. Next week we started in hot sunshine laying out timbers for house renovations and new build in places. Big learning curve it was too. Easy your mind and back by container hire. If from USA more cost but maybe more at it in dock service in the Big Apple than in England. Otherwise over land with furniture wagons. You see sell it all before hand you never find here the quality you wish for. I came here for a month holiday and did all the research first. Not much has changed other that Latvians are wary and now know what costs and what is cheap. Antiques here cost the earth as Russian occupation ruined the place. Know Ikea is here but then I hate their line in furniture. Big shops as you and I are used to department stores and that sort of thing do not exist even in Riga. To furnish a home can be so upsetting and forget carpets here board floors or parquet blocks rule. Carpets are on sale but no underlay exits for Latvians and carpets lay over sheets of hardboard in bedrooms. Every rattle echo through houses and one knows right away boards and carpets are upstairs in anyones  home. I brought top grade underlay here and could not find it. Then found one Latavian helper unpacking had thrown it over his compost in the garden next door. When I got to know it was covered in cow shit. He had no idea and thought it rubbish packing. It was 500 pounds worth of underlay wasted. One has to keep an eye out as peasant class all of them here. The fish in my pond have more sense than the average man here. They have lived under hard soviet rule so cannot blame any of them I know but when it happens one could murder them.

Naesby,
Your advice is priceless. But my next chore is to find a Siberian shipping company that will ship 5 mid-size boxes to Latvia. I'll soon find out.
From what you say about the average Latvian, I appreciate more and more the League of Unseemly Gentlemen or Rogues Gallery, or however you labeled your cohorts in comfort.
My plan is to settle this shipment issue, then head out for Riga. Should happen early next week.
Most of all look forward to meeting you and the gang. First round on me.
Lew

my Latvian phone is ***
Lew

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security