Water heaters

Has anyone had any success with the instantaneous water heaters, as i just installed an AEG water heater in the house being built, but only get about 30 seconds of warm water.

thanks

make sure the water pressure is high enoufh,i suspect that is the problem this problem can be solved by instaling a small watertower or a hydrophore ,if this is not it, i advise to seek a good electrician ,the best are those who worked on merchant ships as electrician.
next yr we start building and i will build a watertower and rain water colection sistem whit underground watertank build whit the fero cement construction,this assures we will always have water and at the right pressure in the watertower a flotation switch will start the pump at a surten level so water gets pumpt from the underground tank to the tower
in case of electrical burn outs we have a 3KW generator so i think we will be good.

greets Dirk

ps never had problems whit water heater as long as the pressure was good

Thanks Dirk C,

Yes, I reckon you are correct in what you say. Since posting the question I have had a water tower built, about 20ft above ground level, which should give enough hydrostatic head for the pressure.

I was asking the builder to get the run-off from the guttering as it rains every other day here, but he didn't know what I was talking about so in the end I gave up.

The water pressure is so bad here that when you apply for a connection they ask you to sign a waiver saying that you won't complain about the water pressure, I can pee faster than the flow here during the daytime hours.

Such is life in the Philippines.

Cheers,

most of the build i will do my self or be there to oversee what is done ,all the plumbing in and outside i will do my self to, the used water drainige wil have a downfall of 1 to 2 % 1 to 2 cm per meter,any other downfall garanties blokiges of the drains ,beleeve me on this one ,the romans alredy used this standart,hehe
also the diameter of the pipes are very inportant,i use dutch standart  to do my plumbing ,most of my information i got from youtube hahahaha,after careful judging the availebol info ,to many so cald experts give wrong info.
wen i left Belgium i never planned on building but here i am we have nice sise land so why not use it he.
once this build finist we build a beach house (have 1 hectare of remote beach front )but in between i will first of all build a boat so i can go relaxing fishing hahahahahaha

living in the phils is a great adventure i gues,but i enjoy it

greets Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Off topic :)
Can I ask you were is your beachfront property situated?

BR
Matei

outside Caraga Davao Oriental is our land,away from the big citys ,it is unspioled and unpoluted region .
about the waterheater ,i plan to conect it so i have  dubbel fossets evry were so the hot and cold water can be mixed to the desired temperature,most ppl only have warm and cold water in the shower ,i prefere the dishes to be done whit hot water and it is handy to be able to fill the washing machine whit hot water to .
lets say am a spoiled Belgian he .
greets Dirk

I had an outlet installed under the sinks of 2 of the 3 CRs and under the kitchen sink. The CRs are plumbed so the tankless heater can be under the sink and not in the shower. So far I only have a heater in my master CR and it is seldom used but works well  when I have used it. I have an expensive Samsung front loading automatic washing machine and it doesn't have a hot water connection so I don't need it in the laundry room and my wife doesn't care for hot water in the kitchen so looks like I'm done.

We have a 14 year old niece staying with us and she showers in the upstairs CR and has never asked for warm water since she grew up using a bucket and dipper. My wife mentioned that she doesn't even like to use the toilet seat preferring to sit on the porcelain rim of the toilet like the bucket flush toilets she has always used. I was wondering why both lids were always up.

Even though the op is from time ago there seems to be some interest in water heaters. We have a three floor house with bathrooms and water heaters on each floor. The heaters on 1st & 2nd floor have stop working years ago. At that time the house only had two floors with three step-sons, nephew & housekeeper.

I never heard a complaint while in states, if I would have then I would have replaced the heaters. It seems Filipinos have become adjusted to cold water.

We had the third floor added on maybe four years ago and the wife & I moved to Pasig City, three years ago. Our water heater is working fine, the only time it didn't was the first year when Manila water company was rationing water. So I would shower in the wee hours when we had enough pressure for the heater to work.

This thread got me thinking about replacing the non working heaters on the 1st & 2nd floors. I really don't know on how to select a heater, particularly the brand, price & specifications.

I was told wherever you purchase it, instillation is included? Your experience would be helpful.

There is plenty of sun here for solar water heating.

BassMan_720 wrote:

EXCELLENT point!!!

BassMan_720 wrote:

Maybe where you live, but in the heart of Manila, with a house occupying every square cm of land, it would be difficult.

How would one use solar power to heat water?

Would It it be cheaper using solar panels, water tanks, plumbing and pumps instead of an electric shower heater?

Choose A Tankless Water Heater ( also known as -On demand water heater )

I put a tankless water heater in the first community CR we built shared by 3 families. Hot water was never used so I moved it to the Family house when we built it. I put a tub in our first house and never used it either. We used a stainless tank and flow water system in our current house water system and I would never use the hot or even warm water. It's strange how my brain changes it's preferences as soon as I get out of this crappy Pacific North West winter weather. although i will mention we stayed 2 weeks in Baguio and hot water is an absolute must, it went down one day and the icy shower that morning left the strongest memory I have of Baguio trying to regain consciousness under the blankets. It's a really different Philippines.

Bob solar water heating is referred to as Solar Thermal. Actually it is much more efficient in terms of energy collection than Solar PV  (the photovoltaic  panels that produce electricity).

Solar heating of water can be done as simply as a black painted 55 gal drum on the roof with a hose, to commercially sold solar collectors - approx 3' x 6' and 4" thick -  that can capture a lot of heat. A small pump circulates the water to your tank.  They were popular in the 70's and 80's, still very effective. I had one on a rental home I lived in years ago that wasn't working, but once I replaced the pump and figured out the plumbing valves it worked perfectly.

You could probably set this up, but the cheapest and simplest solution would be a new tankless unit.

I bought a cheap 'single shower' tankless heater on Lazada for P4,183 with shipping.  The temperature control is a knob instead of a digital touch pad so I don't need my glasses to turn it on or crank it up a little. It is behind the sink and feeds the hot side of the shower diverter valve. Many are installed in showers that are single feed and you control the temperature with the heater temperature setting. The way I have it installed the temperature can be controlled with the shower diverter valve just like in the US. I can leave it on since it only energizes when there is water flow. I hear the relay kick in when I turn on the shower and allow some flow through the hot side of the diverter valve. I have a well and the water is a bit chilly so it felt good the few times I've used it. Most of the time I'm outside working on something and the cold water feels good.

https://i.imgur.com/Lh9qwnp.jpg

Ann refreshed my memory, we bought low budget tankless heaters (the 30 deg F type). One in the community CR and one in the family house. They are really are never used because of the raised tank, but when ever we are staying in Dipolog City we do use the heaters at hotels. It makes sense in our area to use raised tanks because the electricity is intermittent (getting better) and I'm just not a bath at the hand crank kind of guy yet, our tank serves two homes and an CR we built for the little community of family homes. We plug in the pump to fill the tank usually twice a day rather than depending on the automatic switch to save electricity. I have a generator and we have lines to the other homes for night lighting. I bought a 2000w electric generator that should handle all the necessities for a day or two. The new beach lot will seperate us from the tight family by a half mile so I'll be doing tings a little different. I've also stayed in beautiful places like el nido that only have the residential electricity on 6 pm to 6 am. It's never a problem once you know how to work around it.