Living in Java

You are an expatriate living in Java, or you used to  work and live in Java.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Java?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Java?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Java?

Thanks in advance for your participation

A little look at some of the older threads on here threw this one up, and it really needs an answer.

Most expats who aren't actually working for whatever company look at Bali, but I believe most of those would have a far better quality of life on the island of Java. Bali has its attractions, ease of finding alcohol being one, but Java has a lot more to offer.

We have large cities such as Semarang or Surabaya, and we have tiny villages like the one I lived in for a couple of years.
The ideal place for me would be somewhere up a hill, but it would have to be near a better school so I have somewhere for my kids' educations.
High up means less need for air conditioning and, in general, a slower pace of life.

As for retirees, places like Bogor, in my humble opinion, are far better than Bali. Lovely, cool, fresh air, but everything you need available locally, or just a short trip to Jakarta away.

Honestly, I would far sooner recommend Bogor over Bali - unless you like getting drunk.
For those wanting a really quiet life, Wonosobo is quite amazing. I'm assured the Sami languages of Norway, Sweden and Finland have around 300 snow related words. I don't think Wonosobo dialect Javanese has a word for stress.

The main  problem with java imho is the "bloody noise" , iv lived and worked in many muslim majority countries you can always live away from the din ,so its no issue .

Java its impossible ,every few houses they have a little mosque ,with giant apeakers .

So if you wanna do without sleep with all the health issues associated ,welcome to java .

Ner, that just isn't true.

Iv lived and worked in java ,dont tell me its a quiet place because it aint ! .

Thats why I live in bali , I enjoy  waking with birdsong .

Also java has become more radical  im treated like an infidel over there ,lets not talk about the crime ,difficulties getting beer, pork etc etc etc .

I could go on ,but you know the reality.

A bloody awful place your welcome to it .

I don't eat pork - never did much because I don't like it, but it's available in markets and supermarkets in most towns. Wonosobo market used to have it, as do markets in most towns. Obviously, it isn't popular because most people don't eat it, but it is there for those who want it.

Beer, for those who can't do without it, is available in hotels and bars.
It isn't available in small shops.

Radical - I haven't noticed. People here treat me very nicely.

Personally, I would recommend Java to anyone who is looking for a stress free life surrounded by lovely people.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some posts were removed from this thread.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your views and opinions about living in Java. Keep in mind that none of you are wrong as you both have the right not to share the same point of view based on your personal experiences.

Kindly avoid any unnecessary debates on this topic.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team