I read the news

my question is how much of this crime that is being reported on is effecting you personally ?

I've been here almost six months, lived in San Pedro & now San Ignacio, and have not been exposed to any crime at all personally.

There was one murder on the island while I was there, but it was rumored to be a hit the husband put out on the wife for life insurance.

There is petty theft of course, but be smart - get a dog, lock up, etc. and you should be fine.

Belize City by far has the most crime, so I wouldn't recommend living there.

what do you do in San Ignacio?

I am opening a property management, caretaker and house sitting service called Red Roof Property Management.  I have over 11 years of real estate investing/property management experience, and no one here focuses on that exclusively - they all seem to dabble in it, and not very well.  So I'm pretty excited.

Will be looking forward to helping any expats who have income property here or who only live here part-time and want someone to watch out for their house(s).

Thanks for asking!

Sharon Hiebing

Hi Sharon,
We would like to check out belize & would be eligible for the QRP program. we are interested in fishing, swimming,, snorkeling  & are not into the hustle/bustle of too much going on. I was told amergris caye is very upscaled & I dont think that type of area would appeal to us as much as the secluded or quieter type of life. any suggestions on areas to look at for renting?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi deb2,

You are little off topic in this thread. I suggest you to start a new discussion on the Belize forum.

Thank you very much,
Christine

I have relocated to Cayo with my two young kids in 2006 and I quite agree with Sharon comments. I have never felt uneasy at all in all the years I have lived here and I also would not recommend Belize City as being as stress free environment where to reside.

Then again larger cities anywhere in the world tend to have a bad rep. :)

Many of the crimes posted in the news are personal matters and as long as you apply the same rules as where you currently reside, you will be safe and just fine. If you don't leave your front door wide open now, why start in Belize? It would just be looking for trouble.

To be quite frank, for me the number of road accidents in Belize is more alarming then the crimes reported in the news.

Hope this helps?

Smiles from Cayo, Belize

Alexia