Barely Hanging On....

Hey everyone,

I've been living in Riyadh for 28 months now and I never planned on being here this long. I stayed because I thought traveling and saving more money would be a wise thing to do. Now I have 10 months left before my contract ends and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Everyone knows Riyadh is almost like hell on earth. The heat, the restriction, the boredom all wear you down slowly if you don't find a way to live a normal life here. Well, all I've done since I've gotten here is just work, work, work and save money. So I've sacrificed creating relationships with people outside of work for a paycheck and now I'm left sitting in my apartment watching netflix, cooking, and walking in circles wondering what the hell am I doing with my life.

So, who else has been in this situation or currently is and could offer some tips for making it through these next 10 months?

Well well, good to know that you are managing to hang on! While I notice that you have managed thus far by "work, Netflix, walking, cooking etc.," you have the answer on how to continue, in your post itself! You could develop contacts, even through this forum or otherwise and, hang out with them at eating joints/ get togethers occasionally; by the way, walking/ strolling and cooking are great stress busters (tried and tested by several folks). And, finally, stay focussed on your goals, since you are apparently close to achievement, don't give up, the rainbow at the end is definitely worth the sacrifice! All the best buddy/ habibi!

start swimming

Well, I believe everyone has the same feeling it's really hard environment to live in especially if you're alone without family or single (even worst).

If your up to do any sort of activity do let me know we can hang out and exchange life experiences

Cheers !!
Momen

i used to be member of internations but mostly are for couples events.

Mrktstrtmyhm wrote:

Hey everyone,

I've been living in Riyadh for 28 months now and I never planned on being here this long. I stayed because I thought traveling and saving more money would be a wise thing to do. Now I have 10 months left before my contract ends and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Everyone knows Riyadh is almost like hell on earth. The heat, the restriction, the boredom all wear you down slowly if you don't find a way to live a normal life here. Well, all I've done since I've gotten here is just work, work, work and save money. So I've sacrificed creating relationships with people outside of work for a paycheck and now I'm left sitting in my apartment watching netflix, cooking, and walking in circles wondering what the hell am I doing with my life.

So, who else has been in this situation or currently is and could offer some tips for making it through these next 10 months?

Hi. I've created an event for people who loves to travel. Just for socialization purpose. You may attend if you want to but you have to be a member first of the couchsurfing. you can download and install the application and come up with your own profile. Do let me know once you had the account. i could teach you more on how to use it. also, you can attend on other events.. enjoy. hope to see you on august 17..

Hey man I've been using couchsurfing for a few years now and I love it! Add me to your group and I'm actually off work on Aug 17 so I could most likely meet up wherever you guys are meeting.

Not sure if you mean literally start swimming or figuratively. Sink or swim is a common saying and yea, I agree, Its time I start to swim! Thanks.

George Darley wrote:

Hi...some suggestions:

- Get involved with the Diplomatic Quarter. There are always parties, plays, concerts, film screenings, art exhibitions etc. going one in one or another embassy. Just call the 'main' embassies, i.e. UK, France, Italy, Canada etc and ask to be put on the mailing list for events. Then you can meet people and expand your social circle.

- Join the Hash House Harriers, who organize walking trips outside of Riyadh: It involves some strange rituals and the website looks a bit weird but again, you can meet interesting people and have some fun.

- Join Internations  Members organize various kinds of activities and you can create your own activities and invite people.

I've lived in Riyadh for over six years and for the most part have really enjoyed it.

Best wishes...George

Hey George I'll definitely check our the Hash Harriers. I'm up for just about anything at this point. Glad you've been enjoying your time in Riyadh, what an accomplishment!

Mrktstrtmyhm wrote:

Hey man I've been using couchsurfing for a few years now and I love it! Add me to your group and I'm actually off work on Aug 17 so I could most likely meet up wherever you guys are meeting.

Hi There :)

You could search my cs account.. chaddy qui
let's stay connected. there is a cs gathering tonight. i hope you could join.

Mrktstrtmyhm wrote:
George Darley wrote:

Hi...some suggestions:

- Get involved with the Diplomatic Quarter. There are always parties, plays, concerts, film screenings, art exhibitions etc. going one in one or another embassy. Just call the 'main' embassies, i.e. UK, France, Italy, Canada etc and ask to be put on the mailing list for events. Then you can meet people and expand your social circle.

- Join the Hash House Harriers, who organize walking trips outside of Riyadh: It involves some strange rituals and the website looks a bit weird but again, you can meet interesting people and have some fun.

- Join Internations  Members organize various kinds of activities and you can create your own activities and invite people.

I've lived in Riyadh for over six years and for the most part have really enjoyed it.

Best wishes...George

Hey George I'll definitely check our the Hash Harriers. I'm up for just about anything at this point. Glad you've been enjoying your time in Riyadh, what an accomplishment!

i want to be part of this Hash House Harriers.. how to be a member?

Hi
Did you find the HHH?