Paedictric physiotherapy - special needs.

Hello people of Riyadh,

My husband and I are considering a move to Riyadh in the new year with our two daughters.

Our newborn is premature and although she is healthy she sadly had an abnormal brain scan at 4 weeks of life. Cystic PVL that most likely will have some sort of an effect on her motor skills. Although its too early to determine the severity of the injury, early intervention is key for her development.

So my question is - has anyone had experience with paediatric physiotherapy and early intervention for developmental issues? Typically how much does private health care cover?

Furthermore are there wide variety of softplay options and children playgrounds, waterparks or fun swimming facilities for young kids?

I would love your insight or any info that may assist me.

Many thanks in advance!

This is a challenging predicament for you. We had a pre-term baby here in Riyadh but I was lucky enough to be working in the National Guards Hospital where my wife and newborn son received the best of care (all covered by the hospital). Most of the medical care here in Saudi Arabia is covered by the employers or you are provided with health insurance from the employer. So you should confirm with your employer first about the health care coverage - private services may be too expensive?

Regarding the leisure activities - the ONLY facilities available are within the housing compounds. So again you should confirm with your employer regarding where you will be staying. Most of the housing compounds have decent swimming / gymnasium facilities + a playground for the small children. Do not expect anything much outside the housing services.

Please let me know if there is any other specific questions that you may have. I have been here for eight years now and can hopefully provide the required answers. Moving to Saudi Arabia does require some adjustment - so it is better to make sure that you get all your queries sorted out.

Wishing you a smooth transition to the new environment.

Thanks for you're reply. I hope you son is doing well now. Are you still based in Riyhadh? How was his outpatient follow up care?

Our compound we'll most likely be in Al bustan or Nesam.

I found this online, which would be perfect.
https://www.mygym.com/riyadh

Have you heard about it?

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your insight.

Cheers

The place is call My gym. Group classes for babies and toddlers.