What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Portugal?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Portugal? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Portugal? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

hi
a few points:
1. Unless you are specialized with valuable experience I dont believe recruiters will be of much help.
2. direct contact with companies who may need your skills is a good option
3.tips/customs- not really
4. language- of course will be very difficult to get a reasaonable job if you dont speak portuguese.
your value added would significantly decrease  so I suggest you focus on fluency in spoken Portuguese
quickly

About jobs, as an expat who is working in a Human Resources company, I can say we are regularly in need of people to work for Customer Support lines, generally in Lisbon area, who speaks various languages grom Greek to Romanian to Serbian etc.. So your language can actually be a great asset for you here as it is rare commodity.

Hi Deniz
What about Turkish?:)
I want to move and live in Lisbon from Turkey
My aunt &cousin live in Cascais.I was there last month and decided to move.
I was a lecturer at Tourism faculty.I Hope i can find a job in Portugal.part time or full.doesnt matter.what do u advice
Tnx
xx
Meryem

Sent you a private message Meryem, keep in touch :)