What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Kenya?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Kenya? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Kenya? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Job here as a foreigner maybe quite challenging as there are so many jobless graduates all over the country. But if you have specific experience that the country's top companies or government agencies require from experts then you may fit in quickly.

Another place you could try in NGOs because is the only sector in Kenya that employs more of foreigners base on experience.

Although that doesn't rule out the fact that you can still secure a job in Kenya but I thought I should point out what you should expect.

Best of luck.

Being a foreigner, I have been having a terrible time searching for a job ! trying since 4 years but didn't get any fruit.

On the whole, I agree with the above.  Kenya's job market has become increasingly difficult to break into as a foreigner for several reasons:
-There are a high number of Kenyans with degrees and masters degrees, who are unemployed.
-The government discriminates positively towards the local workforce - employers are only supposed to fill positions with foreign workers, where there is a skills shortage.  Even then, they are supposed to train a local worker to do the job, so that the foreign worker can be 'let go' at the end of the 2 year work permit cycle.
-Foreign workers expect higher pay and better living conditions - the government have fairly recently commented on this and had started to review NGO jobs, to see whether it was necessary to employ foreigners.

There are still a significant number of NGO & UN jobs available for foreigners.  They tend to set the bar quite high though, often requiring education to masters level, plus previous experience in the sector. 

There are also opportunities for volunteer work for organisations such as VSO, which can be a good place to start for those looking for a career in the NGO sector.

Probably the best place to start are sites such as 'reliefweb' and to start the process from your home country.

I think that it's unreasonable to expect a long term contract - you won't get a work permit for more than 2 years.  This may then be renewed, or not - it's by no means a certainty.

It is also not unknown for the government to review foreign NGO employees and for work permits to be cancelled and workers deported, where they feel employment of foreigners is unnecessary.

It should be noted that ANY work, paid or voluntary is illegal on a single entry visa and without a specific permit.