What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Hong Kong?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Hong Kong? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Hong Kong? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Don't be nervous. It is not difficult to get employed if you can speak English fairly.

English is their good formal Language and official as well, though some speak Cantonese.
But don't bother to learn it, well there is a government recruitment website which conduct live interviews each friday in Wan chai close to the I mmigration building.
There number of departments you may find by yourself you are interested in.
Well the most challenging thing in Hong kong is to get a work visa, I work for some couple of months without visa since I applied for my work visa it was May 13 this year until now am writing here my work visa isn't approved yet, so I left the country and returned back home! So am here now in Tanzania am doing my own activities like Safaris to National parks and every so called adventural safari with my friend.
So don't rely on my experience that much, find out how guaranteed is the workvisa in Hong kong.

Dear Priscilla,
Have you arrived in Hong Kong? You can easily find lots of new posting for jobs on some job hunting websites. You can find them on internet. Not necessary to go through by agents. In your CV, you should clearly state your employment periods, referees and contacts of them, academic background and attached photo to get higher chance from screening process by the HR department. They do contact your schools and ex-employers to find out more about you.
As for the interview, dress properly according to the types of workplace you are applying and tidier. Introduce yourself clearly on working experiences and academic background.
Text me ** let's meet up.
It is not difficult to get employed here.
All the best.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct