It's About Time I Found this Place!

Hello everyone, my name is Aaron Gipson, and I have been living here in Costa Rica for almost 5 years now. I'm originally from South Florida (Fort Lauderdale/Miami area), but I moved here seeking a new life and I found a great one. I'm sure I don't have to say how blessed we all are that we live in this beautiful country with these incredibly sweet people.

I'm a computer engineer by trade, and do mostly contract work remotely for software companies in the United States. It more than pays the bills and allows me to stay home and watch my four kids grow every day. I'm also the author of a blog that I set up as somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek survival guide for expats and exchange students.

I have basically been winging it this entire time with my only connection to the people of my language being online in the form of Facebook. It's great that I actually found a forum where I can talk about things that we experience on a daily basis living down here. Sure there are headaches, but at the end of the day I'll take the full moon over the Orosi Valley over the prettiest night Miami any day.....

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for your introduction. :)

Please do not hesitate to share your expat experience with us.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Aaron,

I just came back from Costa Rica to Toronto . I really want to move down to Costa Rica. I am so touch by the warmth of the people and beauty and nature. How hard was it for you to live Florida and set up your life down there

Lenin

thank you both for the warm welcome, it's really good to be here. And Lenin, it was pretty easy for me because I moved here when my company moved here. And then when the company moved back, I didn't follow. That's a pretty simplistic explanation, but it fits.

If you find a way to make a decent living online, then living here is literally heaven. If you come down here as a tourist on a wing and a prayer hoping to find a job, I've seen where people have lost both their shirt and their dignity in a short time. There is something called the gringo walk of shame that friends have alluded to in regards to folks to come down here without much of a plan in mind.

But if you have a solid income, be it through online work or other kind of remote work, then I have to say that settling down here is where the easiest experiences you could ever have...it just fits.