What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Belize?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Belize? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Belize? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Belize? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Belize? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Priscilla, I know this is a serious standard question posted in evey counties forum. But in light of the many previous discussions on the topic within the Belize forum, I find this quite amusing.  :D

Do's about getting a job. Buy and run your own business.
Don't expect to get employed in Belize unless you have a very rare and needed talent. In which case you would probably have a job already sorted to come to.
These format Questions for every format assume a level playing field for all countries and really it never is.

Hi Priscilla,

Expats living in Belize are not allowed to hold a local job. All jobs go to Belizeans first.

Not sure if their are ways around this, but it's probably best to either:
a) Look into starting your own business, but realize that your employees will need to be locals.
b) secure a job that you can work remotely from your country of origin
c) start a business using the internet with sales from the country of origin
c) work for cash and stay under the radar (not recommended).

Hope this helps,
Joel

Hi

My research to date, as well as the many comments on this forum, indicate that, in general, jobs in Belize only go to Belizeans (as they rightly should)

I am puzzled why a moderator of this site would post a question in this way, implying that a job search here is much like anywhere else.

It might give the impression that working in the country very possible, when in fact it is not.