Moving to Riyadh from San Jose, California

Moving to Riyadh soon. Wanted to know about some good Pre-K schools. Also thinking of shipping refrigerator, bed set and/or LCD TV. any advise? i plan to stay in some apartment near to school, any advise here please.

thanks

Hello nkhawaja, Welcome on Expat.com ;)

For moving your items to Riyadh, I will suggest you to contact our Moving to Riyadh partner (https://www.expat.com/en/movers/middle- … ia/riyadh/) who will give you a free quote & lot of professional tips!

Best Regards

Welcome to the Blog and soon the Kingdom.

have you tried contacting the american embassy for advice? or even the american embassy school in Riyadh?

Salman

the only school i contacted is american international school. wanted to know what the forum says.

nkhawaja

Welcome to the forum!

To provide advice, we need a bit more info about your status...  But if your asking about the American School, its by far one of the best schools in the country!  But then it depends on what your looking for.  There is the British International, and a whole host of other schools in the city.  And as an American, if you have never lived in the Middle East, especially KSA, I would recommend that you look for housing in a compound for the social interaction.  Its a bit lonely as a single in an apartment.  There are others here on the forum who can provide more input about that.  I encourage you to participate here as much as possible, do a bit of research and obtain all of the info you can BEFORE negotiating your contract.  This can be a great assignment if you do your homework...  Best of luck!

Hi - welcome to the blog and soon to Riyadh.

Your company usually will sort out your accomodation and often the accomodation is furnished. So check all that out first before shipping your house contents over.

company is giving me housing so i have to arrange by myself.

Don't come ,,,

Awesome :D

Try to find a compound....although there are waiting lists and they are on the expensive side.

Alternative would be villa or apartment, decide upon school and you can then locate living place close by.

Shipping items from overseas is not a problem....but before doing so, see what you need here.

TV won't work, neither will your rulers as the rest of the world is metric and working on PAL transmissions :)

G'luck man. Concerning schools, AISR is a good school, may be the best here, but the quality is dropped significantly over the past few years :( It's also one of the most expensive ones as well.

Hi,

Beezer: What wont TV work? Most of the TVs are multi-system. or else there are conversion devices.

I think I need to settle around school. I looked for AISR and they are going for wait list, plus there ranking is not that great as I heard.

I need some guidance around schools for a 4 year old and some housing place around it. Compound or non-compund etc.

nkhawaja wrote:

Moving to Riyadh soon. Wanted to know about some good Pre-K schools. Also thinking of shipping refrigerator, bed set and/or LCD TV. any advise? i plan to stay in some apartment near to school, any advise here please.

thanks

hi

Welcome to Saudi Arabia

For the school, you can go to American International school in Riyadh. And there are nice schools there also.

for the shipping, you can contact (Kanoo). it's the best

for more info. don't hesitate to contact me.

Waleed

Is your employer providing a shipping allowance?  If not, it really doesn't make sense to ship your furniture, TV, fridge.  TVs are fairly inexpensive here and unless your TV can also operate on PAL, you will need a converter and the picture quality decreases with the converter. 

With a fridge and furniture, what if those things are too big for the space you eventually end up renting?  If your company pays, I say bring the microwave and stove too; otherwise, sell it!

Good luck.

(Moderated)