Best Place To Live in Malaysia

Hi everyone,
I'm Sean from Toronto, currently living in Thailand,
I'm planning to move to Malaysia to stay there for few month while running my business.
Could you please share your experience of living in Malaysia as an expat.
What is a best quiet place and close to nature to live?
How to find a nice inexpensive place to live?
How about cost of living?
& Visa situation for a longer stay...

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. ☺︎

For longer term visa the choices are Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) or work permit (as employee or company director of own incorporated company).

COL you can check out at Expatistan or Numbeo, but the minimum level of income needed for average stay would be about RM4-5k per month.

Malaysia is a great place to live and there are different choices. You may like the countryside around Malacca or Port Dickson in the central part of Malaysia, as well as around Seremban. Then there is Taiping, which has a hill station, Langkawi Island (natural scenery) or Penang (mainland areas such as Butterworth are less expensive than Penang Island) which are in the northern part.

Sarawak and Sabah are gorgeous...and inexpensive. Different "retirement" programs though. Similar to the Peninsula but must apply through the local immigration office. I understand Sabah's is basically identical to the old MM2H...but Sarawak's is quite different (no liquid assets to be shown, don't need a "police record" of good conduct, only a 5 Year renewable visa. Two options:
1) pension/annuity (proof for 3 months) (for singles RM7000; RM10K for couples) OR
2) Fixed Deposit (Singles RM100K; Couples RM150K) after one year you may withdraw some for "authorized" expenditures, but balance must be > RM60K.