Living in Guangdong

You are an expatriate living in Guangdong, or you used to  work and live in Guangdong.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Guangdong?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Guangdong?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Guangdong?

Thanks in advance for your participation

The hardest thing about living in Guangzhou is that you cant buy a GOOD HAMBURGER ANYWHERE.  Sure there are some hamburgers in Guangzhou but they put all kinds of stuff in the meat and its not a true American Taste Hamburger.  I have tried to teach some places how to make them and they are not able to remember from burger to burger.  Anyone know of a good place to eat American Food, not Western Food ?

I would like to move to guangdong district I am retired and have about 600 GBP a month is that enough to live on? does anybody know the residency requirements for china. Grateful for any information

drkight wrote:

The hardest thing about living in Guangzhou is that you cant buy a GOOD HAMBURGER ANYWHERE.  Sure there are some hamburgers in Guangzhou but they put all kinds of stuff in the meat and its not a true American Taste Hamburger.  I have tried to teach some places how to make them and they are not able to remember from burger to burger.  Anyone know of a good place to eat American Food, not Western Food ?

I live in Yangchun which is about 3 hours south of Guangzhou, and you are right no one here makes a decent hamburger.  I lived here once before in 2007-2008 and would have killed for a good hamburger, I ended up at McD's in Guangzhou and found it to be awful.  What I've done to satisfy the burger craving is this time I brought with me a meat grinder, the old hand crank type and I buy beef and make my own ground beef.  It's the best option I've found for when you need a good burger fix.  Hope that helps.  I've not found any truly good American food here other than what I cook.  In fact the only fast food place in my city is an MFC which in a pinch is fine.

I am living in HK now, but I remember I met a nice American lady with her driver in a McDonalds in Guangzhou.  She told me she lived in Yangchun, I still don't know where Yangchun is, but I think of her a lot, she must be very lonely there.  I am wondering whether you know her.

GOldengirl wrote:

I would like to move to guangdong district I am retired and have about 600 GBP a month is that enough to live on? does anybody know the residency requirements for china. Grateful for any information

It depends on whether you have good health.  If you are in good health, then 600GBP is quite enough.  Do you also have a university degreee?  You can teach English for fun and some pocket money.

Hi , i am living in guan dong ( zhongshan) , i am from malaysia looking to make more new friends around that area or any malysian wanna hang out together Thanks

anyone in Dongguan?
I'm considering to move there in coming few months since my fiancee is working there for quite a few years.

Before the moving, I would like to get a job in advance so i can get a 'z' visa. For your information, i am currently working as export marketing executive in furniture manufacturing. So any recommendation for me to work in furniture company or trading company in DG?

thanks for the knowledge sharing!
appreciated!

hi guys n gals,

ive been living in dongguan for the past 1 year

im just wondering if anyone know where i can get lemongrass and lime???

i just wonder do u guys like the life style over there, they say summer got up to 35 over there. afternoon out on the road is unbearable, is that really true?

tomyu wrote:

i just wonder do u guys like the life style over there, they say summer got up to 35 over there. afternoon out on the road is unbearable, is that really true?

Hi, you are definitely right! I lived in Shenzhen(near HK) now. The temperature reached 34 degrees every day!