HI.  I am a new member.  I am considering retiring to the Philippines with my family.  I have 2 daughters and an American wife.  However, I would only be taking my youngest girl.  My wife and I would have about $4000.00 monthly.  I have watched the U.S.D. fall against the Philippine peso.  One U.S.D. gained 48 pesos when I first considered moving to the Philippines.  It has since dropped about 4 Pesos.  However, I think my family can live on half our retirement income and save about $20,000. annually.  Perhaps that would cushion the unstable U.S.D.  We also are both retired from the U.S. Navy about a decade ago.  I briefly lived in the Philippines while in the Navy in the mid 70's.  I AM sure it has changed.  We have had many friends from the Philippines while
serving in the Navy.  Anyhow, I would appreciate any advise in regard to my plan to live on $4000.00 U.S.D. (I am 56 so by the time I get to the Philippines I would be close to receiving social security payments.  So we could see an increase to the $4000.00 U.S.D.  Look forward to anyone's advise.  My wife and I are currently in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Sincerely,
Steve

Welcome on Expat.com Steve ;)

Your discussion has been redirected to Philippines forum for effective networking.

I hope that other members will bring their input to your discussion soon.

Regards

Steve,

Does your daughter need to attend an international school?  If not, then a lot of retirees consider Davao or Subic as many expats. Guess you prob remember Subic, but a lot has changed since the US Navy days (my bro was stationed there till it was closed). Check out Mindanao Bob as has a lot of good info.

Good luck,
Don

Don:

Thanks for the info.  I have conversed with Bob---he is a good source of info.  I am seeing that most of the expats on this site reside in Manila.  Anyhow, I think I can swing it on my retirement of i74,000 pesos a month.  With S/S that would add a little more.
My wife and I like the Filipino people and their culture.

take care,

Steve

I think the majority of expats that reside in Metro Manila is due to work. If your retired, your funds will go much further outside of Manila.

Don

Hi Steve,

Your $$$ stretch further if you live outside of Manila. Accommodation is the one that will take a huge chunk of your budget and therefore if you stay in Manila, to have a condo or house with reasonable space, you are more likely paying $1.5 to $3.0 K. If you stay outside of Manila, your accommodation budget is more likely less than $1.0K, and it is safer, better air quality and more friendly, away from super congested traffic. You can check various condo rentals online and the rate of the rent for yourself.

housinginteractive.com
everra.net
sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+category/id/25/Apartment+and+Condominium

I dont even drive in metro Manila, with a person like me who has endured several speeding tickets in California turned coward whenever I touch down Manila.

That's a huge change of weather pattern you are embarking into. You may start living in Baguio. Again your dollar stretched further and yes you should be able to save 50% of your expected income if you stay in Baguio.

Even if you know friends before, more than likely more than half them are no longer around.

cheers

I completely agree with female_expat and dhnindc.  The advantage of living in the metro is the accessibility of better equipped hospitals and shops.  Most shops whether groceries, general hardware or specialty stores tend to carry wider range compared to their provincial counterpart.  The rent is relatively high also but if you avoid places like Makati CBD and the Fort then rent goes down substantially.  Ortigas and Mandaluyong have pretty low rent and is about 30 minutes north of Makati with traffic (without about 10 minutes). The older the building, the bigger the cuts in size and also the cheaper the rent.  $1,000 can get you 120 to 150 square meter apartments.  Hope this helps.