Finders Keepers

There have been many threads on here about life in Vietnam. The following exemplifies a portion of that life:
I took a Grab taxi to the airport in San Bon this week. Forgot my new iPhone 7 plus in the Taxi as I departed. Realized it as he was driving away. Asked someone if I could use their phone to call my phone. The driver did not answer the phone. Called again and had a very kind employee at the McDonalds at the airport speak to the taxi driver. The driver said he would return with the phone. He was still on the airport grounds and appeared in just a few seconds. Got my phone back and gave him 100,000 and for his trouble.
Upon my landing I received a call from my friend who had ordered the Grab taxi on her phone that the taxi driver was livid over the amount I paid him to get my phone back. He wanted 2,000,000 vnd. He even went so far as to demand my friend pay him.

In many countries oil the world the driver would have simply returned the phone and been ticked pink that you gave him something for the time wasted to return it.

You may be able to track who that guy was if it was ordered thru the App.
Report the little "prick" to Grab.

Yep, report him to grab.

You just have to wonder do they know how to do the right thing. That was my only real point. Did not cost me more than I was willing to pay. And we can never change the way they think. But when people get offended here because foreigners have a jaundiced view .......this are examples of why.
   It may point out a weakness in using grab and Uber. Not sure you can just reach a dispatcher for them like you can with a traditional taxi company.
   But gosh, I am probably not the first person who has forgotten something in a cab. Have never heard of the cab driver's not doing what is right. Although I have heard of some pretty amazing return of peoples property. I recall one from the USA where the person left a briefcase full of cash and it was returned.

Fifteen years ago I was at a beach hotel in Doc Let, Khanh Hoa Province when a taxi delivered a French woman after a 70km ride from Nha Trang. The taxi driver unloaded all the luggage from the boot and departed.  The hotel staff helped the new guest take her luggage to her room, but one small bag remained unclaimed. It sat there for some time and at length the hotel owner, accompanied by a quest as witness, took the bag away and opened it. It contained $US3000 in cash. The next day, the owner drove 15kms to send an email to several addresses found in the bag.

Meanwhile, in the morning a drunk American woke from his heavy night out and his hangover to find his bag and cash missing. He reported the loss and the cab driver to the police, who duly picked up the cabbie for questioning. "Where's the money?"  "What money?"  "The money you stole from a customer."  "What customer?  What money?"  The police called him in four times for questioning, but the poor bloke didn't know anything.

Eventually, the owner's emails were answered and the American came up in the same taxi to reunite with the money, which wasn't even his. He was delivering it to VN for a friend. Oh, dear me. He kindly offered three million dong reward to one of the hotel room service ladies, to be distributed amongst the hotel staff.  But the owner's dishonest Vietnamese wife took all the reward money for herself and didn't tell her honest husband.