Festivals in Slovenia

Hello everyone,

What are the main festivals in Slovenia? Are there art, food, music, film, or other festivals expats can attend and participate in?

When do the festivals take place? How long does each festival usually last?

What activities go on during the festival? Is it necessary to buy tickets?

Are there any other events that take place in Slovenia that shouldn't be missed?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello everyone,

my name is Randy and I am an American living in Slovenia for two years now. I am also the Team Capitan for Slo American BBQ.

One event that is coming up, which I think is a pretty important one is the first Slovenian BBQ Competition sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS).

Aside from this being the first Slovenian BBQ competition...My team and I will be competing and we would love to have as many supporters as possible.

The event is September 16th and 17th located at Lake Zbilje, just 13 km from Ljubljana. It is my wish that this event will be a success and we can have one every year, making this the first annual Slovenian BBQ Competition!

Hope to see lots of my fellow expats there!

All these events take place in Southeastern Slovenia, a region called Bela krajina (White Carniola).

Usually in the third weekend in May there is a wine festival in Metlika. The festival lasts for 3 days in the town center with three squares below the castle Metlika. Each square has its own stage for music groups and events. There are wine tastings, traditional foods being served, many classes to attend to learn about how traditional food in Bela krajina is and was made.

In June the town Črnomelj hosts the oldest folklore festival in Slovenia (Jurjevanje) with folklore groups from many countries all around the world. There are also cultural events, the student organization of Bela krajina also has many events in the Castle in Črnomelj. There are many smaller events that take place in the same time, such as concerts, arts and crafts classes, events for children, etc.

In August the town Semič has a festival called "Semiška ohcet" (Eng: Semič weeding). It is a festival mostly dedicated to the showing of how weddings were conducted in the old days. It also has many folklore groups attending, cultural events, arts and crafts showings, etc.

You are all invited :)

Best regards, Uroš