Living in the Minnesota

You are an expatriate living in the Minnesota, or you used to  work and live in the Minnesota.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in the Minnesota?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in the Minnesota?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in the Minnesota?

Thanks in advance for your participation

--How would you describe life in the Minnesota?

COLD. Badly dressed. Insular. Fabulous biking trails.

--Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation?

I came here with my job, but it was easy getting accommodation, rent was affordable, houses are cheap, cost of living is low.  It was impossible dealing with call centres though, as nobody understands a foreign accent, and I'm a native English speaker!

--Is it complicated to make friends in the Minnesota?

Not complicated, but difficult. Everybody marries their childhood sweetheart, pops out the kids, hangs out with their old school buddies, lives 5 miles from their parents and sees no reason to make any new friends.  Best bet is to go with other transplants.

--What would you recommend to people who would like to live in the Minnesota?

Visit in winter first, and make sure you like snow and ice.  Don't come along, bring your family so you have people to talk to.  Enjoy bland food.  Wear lots of sweatpants.

I think the best way to make friends in Minnesota is to listen and talk with people wherever you go. The folks are very friendly and always take time to share a chat. You'll be fitting in before you know it. :)

How about job opportunities (skilled and unskill)?

Hi AYODOT,

I would suggest you to start a new topic with an introduction on the forum.

Thank you.

Living in Minnesota.

Life in Minnesota: Long cold winters that never end, Decent people, Unless you live in a city in MN everything is a slight travel but lots of open space for the most part, Lots and lots of motorcyclists, Over-all it is nice.

Jobs in Minnesota: It is pretty easy I would say to find a job, I mean job as in working at a market or as a waiter/waitress,etc for finding a long term career I would say it is O.K./good? I don't really know though.

Making friends in Minnesota: As another poster said everyone sort of stays in their own personal group/bubble of people they know and may seem to give a cold shoulder but then again I have met many people who are very social and friendly so it depends on the person(s), I have had a difficult time trying to get know people just by going out to meet others so I joined a few clubs and I have gained some very close friends from it so maybe go out and join some clubs/activities.

Recommendations: Don't bother buying a haul of summer/spring clothes/shoes,etc because honestly as soon as the warm seasons come they go. Also even in the summer/spring time the weather can be as low as the 60's.

Minnesotans are the friendliest people in the world - and the healthiest in the US.  People who don't know anything about up north think it's all ice & snow, but you can go outdoors and just be all year.  If you like going outdoors and living a healthy life, you can't go wrong.  Plus there are 15,000 lakes.