Icelandic Views on Mental Health

Hi all,

I am a trainee clinical psychologist in England and we have been set a task to explore how we would work with an Icelandic woman experiencing some mental health difficulties.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to guide me towards the general view of mental health and, particularly, therapy in Iceland. Is this linked to any specific cultural beliefs or societal views?

Your help would be much appreciated,

Ann

Welcome on Expat.com Ann ;)

I hope that other members will bring their input to your discussion soon.

Regards

the healthcare system has mental health services. You could try contacting them directly with the contact info on their page:

heilsugaeslan.is/?PageID=938

you should have coverage since part of the visa process is getting health insurance for the first six months of your residency (after that you're on the state coverage like everyone else).

do you have a kennitala already? If so you should be all set. Go to  http://heilsugaeslan.is/ to find your local neighborhood clinic and they should be able to help you connect with the resources you need. Once you're connected to a doctor the prescription refills can be done by phone.

I can't comment on cost vs the US since I haven't had very many prescriptions in either country but it seems at least comparable. It pays to do the pharmacy comparison when filling it though- there are some which are MUCH more expensive than others.