Trash and Seaweed Luqullio Beach

Can someone provide an update regarding the trash and seaweed on the beaches, in PR, inclouding in Luqullio Beach?

Also if possible, how does retiring in Puerto Rico compare to retiring in Florida? I am strongly considering Luqullio Beach, (living this winter 2017 in Luqullio Beach) but I love Panama City Beach Florida, especially along 30a (Seaside). Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Psych2 wrote:

Can someone provide an update regarding the trash and seaweed on the beaches, in PR, inclouding in Luqullio Beach?

Also if possible, how does retiring in Puerto Rico compare to retiring in Florida? I am strongly considering Luqullio Beach, (living this winter 2017 in Luqullio Beach) but I love Panama City Beach Florida, especially along 30a (Seaside). Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks much

Seaweed is seasonal there are volunteer groups that organize to clean particular beaches of trash and seaweed.

Renting in PR is a lot cheaper than florida. See Clasificados http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda this is for Luquillo you can switch to other towns. For example in Luquillo there is a 3 bedroom 2 baths house for $595 and another for 550.

Florida is getting quite expensive everyone wants to retire there so housing is becoming a big deal.and so its property tax. But Spanish is not required, yet it helps unlike in Puerto Rico where Spanish is needed more.

Th

Thanks for the information; and yes, Florida is expensive!

After living in Ft Lauderdale for 30 years I discovered Puerto Rico and hands down Puerto Rico is my choice.  I know  the PanHandle somewhat as I showed in a gallery in Seaside, Destin and that area. Beautiful beach absolutely but too isolated from major airports, too many people in season and it does not have the variety of beaches that PR has. No mountains, rivers and waterfalls that PR has.  The panhandle is too cold in winter and hotter than PR in the summer.  One of the advantages is that you can drive to the Panhandle from other areas and in PR with the exception of the Dominican Republic you have to fly to get to other areas but it is easier to get to major US cities via airlines than it is from the Panhandle I think.

My husband and I just bought a house in Humacao as our retiement home. We moved here from the Gainesville, Fla., area, but I lived for a number of years in Panama City. I loved the beautiful sugary-white sand beaches there, but North Florida does get quite cold in the winter -- and property near the beach is too expensive for our retirement budget. I prefer to be warm all year in a house I can afford. Of course, your circumstances could be vastly different from mine.😃

Nanraughley wrote:

My husband and I just bought a house in Humacao as our retiement home. We moved here from the Gainesville, Fla., area, but I lived for a number of years in Panama City. I loved the beautiful sugary-white sand beaches there, but North Florida does get quite cold in the winter -- and property near the beach is too expensive for our retirement budget. I prefer to be warm all year in a house I can afford. Of course, your circumstances could be vastly different from mine.😃

Where is your place in Humacao?

Thank you for replying. For the past three years, I lived in Panama City Beach during the winter months and yes, the temp drops! The beaches are some of the best in the world but no diverse landscape and a lack of diverse culture.
A couple of years ago, I visited Luqullio Beach and I was very concerned about the volume of trash and smelly Seaweed on the beaches. Hopefully the clean-up is underway, the beaches are too beautiful.

Here's an article about the Trash

http://www.abroaddreams.com/2015/09/19/ … erto-rico/

I was at Luquillo beach with my kids when we noticed a couple fornicating in the shallow end. But there wasn't any other kind of trash around that day!

The panhandle has some real areas of wilderness, which sadly, PR does not (except, to a limited extent, El Yunque). St. Marks National Park is a good example. But it does get too cold for my tastes.

Growing up in Panama City Beach, Fla I know the beaches from Cape San Blas to Santa Rosa Island extremely well and once would have recommended Seagrove as the best of them ....but in my opinion most beaches in Puerto Rico are preferable if you are an actual sun 'n surf fun- lover.... as you can better utilize them year round.

Over half the year in N Fla the water is too cold to swim....unless your into joining The Polar Bear Club, or you are simply a beach-walker.

As far as conditions at Luqullio...won't know until Aug. 9th.... so anyone know the current conditions there?

Psych2 wrote:

Here's an article about the Trash

http://www.abroaddreams.com/2015/09/19/ … erto-rico/

Very true, people need to do their part.
DNR does little, it should not be their responsibility, it should be the responsibility of the municipality, they get money from taxes and the beaches are in their municipalities. They should be fining people, specially during the weekends when the large groups are there.

Some of the beaches are charging for parking, they should be cleaning the beaches with that money.

I don't think it is awareness, they know how bad that same trash would look on their front lawn, it is that they don't care because they don't live there. They will start caring when they get a nice big fine $100.00 per incident.

We go to Luquillo Beach a lot and find it clean, trash is being collected, little or no trash on the beach.
We mainly go there because of the services: showers, dressing rooms, lockers, beach bed & umbrella rental, decent food places.

Yes, there must be enforcement. I've called the cops on vendors selling glass bottles of beer on the beach (which end up broken and in the sand) but no fines were issued. As I'd found many pieces of broken glass on this particular beach (Isla Verde), I was pissed.

I been cut at rivers and beaches because of broken glass. Pisses me off to no end.

Hi, Rey. Our house is in Barrio Mariana about 900 to 1,000 feet up on the side of a mountain. The view is spectacular! We can see Vieques and El Yunque. However, the house is a real fixer-upper, but it has character, and my husband likes projects -- perhaps not this many.😏

Nanraughley wrote:

Hi, Rey. Our house is in Barrio Mariana about 900 to 1,000 feet up on the side of a mountain. The view is spectacular! We can see Vieques and El Yunque. However, the house is a real fixer-upper, but it has character, and my husband likes projects -- perhaps not this many.😏

My lot is also 1,000 feet up, sounds like similar tastes, except I want to build a new house not deal with the headaches of a previous owner. I am too freaking lazy for that.

My house MA has been a money pit, it dates to 1960 and the previous owner did a lot of his own work, most of it not up to code. Since I am not handy I had to hire pros to fix the stuff.

Captain,
beach looked clean 2 weeks ago:-)

Psych2 wrote:

A couple of years ago, I visited Luqullio Beach and I was very concerned about the volume of trash and smelly Seaweed on the beaches. Hopefully the clean-up is underway, the beaches are too beautiful.

We visited a couple of summers ago as well.  I think what you experienced (certainly what we experienced) was the sargassum seaweed.  From what I gather, it was the largest "bloom" ever. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor … 6f10ac92e0

A lot of people here just don't have any regard for littering, I've seen people leaving McDonald's and throwing their trash right out the window like it's nothing,  every single day I see somebody littering, even walking through the halls of the plaza  they just drop  whatever trash they have in their hand write on the floor, and there's a garbage can 10 feet away, I work in Rio piedres  but I have to drive home to Vega Baja every day so I take the Ocean Road for scenery, as I drive through Catano, the beach there looks like a landfill,  it's disgusting, but as I get to Dorado,  The beaches are clean, well, cleaner anyway, there needs to be some kind of add campaign to get the  people to change their mindset about littering  it hurts everything including tourism

Many fines in PR were doubled, I wonder if littering fines were also doubled. In my book anybody litthering should received a 500 dollar fine and be sentenced to 40 hours of thrash and salgaso removal

Great idea Rey,  I bet that would curb a lot of littering practices, the biggest problem will be enforcing it.

The best ad campaign I ever saw against littering was when I was a kid living in Arizona, there was a commercial of people driving by and throwing trash out the car window, then they panned to a native American Indian  that watched the car drive by and throw the garbage out,and he had tears streaming from his eyes, after I watched that, I never wanted to litter again,

Well we can show an iguana shedding a tear,  :lol:

The actor, "Iron Eyes Cody", was Italian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Suu84khNGY

This reminds me of a funny skit show that was (is?) really popular in Panama back in the 90s and 00s: La Cascara. There's a character known as El Panameño, who embodies all the foibles of Panamanians, who is eating in a plaza and then throws his trash to the ground in front of his feet. A good citizen admonishes his littering, to which El Panameño, clever as a fox, responds, "What?! I'm creating jobs here!".

:lol:

Informative article in today's paper about the biology for lack of a better term of the seaweed problem, currently hitting Parguera really hard as foto'd--that's the big area for the luminous water displays at night. Near Lajas, Cabo Rojo.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/loc … r-2346092/

Trash everywhere I go. Streets, beaches, woods.
Puertoricans are either totally uneducated, lazy or stupid, sorry.
And now they are starting to charge for the trash. How that is going to end up I don't even want to imagine! :O

Marion-Olga wrote:

And now they are starting to charge for the trash. How that is going to end up I don't even want to imagine! :O

Stupid, Lazy and mostly DON'T GIVE A DAM attitude, they are educated, they know. Same with the music blasting everywhere specially from all the boats anchored by the beaches. What I want, how I want it and screw anybody else attitude likes or dislikes, you have a problem with that come tell me so I can break your face. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Those same people come to the states and pick up after themselves because they are being watched and heavily fined in the states. The government is the problem because they don't go after them, they could send plain clothes policemen to those beaches and rivers but they don't, so people don't give a dam because they don't have a financial incentive on doing what is right.

Since the central government took away about 350 millions from the municipalities, the trash pickup became an issue and the monitoring has gone down even more.

On my first trip outside PR with my future in-laws, we were driving to the resort from the Orlando airport when my Puerto Rican future mother-in-law exclaimed, "It's like Puerto Rico but without the trash!". That was almost 20 years ago.

Italy is mostly filthy as well. I still love driving down there whenever I get a chance. Capri is clean; Naples, a few miles away, is horrendous. In the north, the trash on the streets tells you when you've left Switzerland and entered Italy.

France, Spain and Latin America too. It's a Latin thing, I guess.

ReyP wrote:
Marion-Olga wrote:

Stupid, Lazy and mostly DON'T GIVE A DAM attitude, they are educated, they know. Same with the music blasting everywhere specially from all the boats anchored by the beaches. What I want, how I want it and screw anybody else attitude likes or dislikes, you have a problem with that come tell me so I can break your face. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Those same people come to the states and pick up after themselves because they are being watched and heavily fined in the states. The government is the problem because they don't go after them, they could send plain clothes policemen to those beaches and rivers but they don't, so people don't give a dam because they don't have a financial incentive on doing what is right.

Since the central government took away about 350 millions from the municipalities, the trash pickup became an issue and the monitoring has gone down even more.

True. And if you tell people that it's horrible and bad and ugly what they do, they want to send you right back to where you came from or they tell you, that there are other places in the world that look worse...
Omg, why not look to the countries that make it better???

I follow this organization on Instagram

http://www.paralanaturaleza.org

Cleanup efforts

https://instagram.com/p/BXire2ehrHb/

Had a similar discussion ten years ago in a very beautiful Centro Americano country. A native who had traveled extensively for his Airline employer commented which jumps into my chain of thought when I see the same "stuff".  Not only trash or loud, every ignoramus' impunity for lack of a better word.
"Because I can".