Payroll taxes for S.A. citizens working in mauritius

Good day,

Please could someone offer some assistance regarding payroll taxes for S.A. citizens working in mauritius?  Is it better to set up a trust and invoice your Mauritian company or is it pretty much the same.
Can someone recommend safe and close resedential accomodation near to la Croisette in Grand Bay.
Any advise re setting up a pension in Mauritius and medical aid assistance. Thank you.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Proposing services and not providing information.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Clairemcr1,

You should inquire from the related professionals recommended in the Mauritius business directory, you may browse the directory by category.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi Claire

I'm not sure to understand your post at 100%. But let me add my two pence worth:

(a) People working in Mauritius, irrespective of nationality, pay taxes on the island - through the Pay As You Earn System. Through this system you have a personal deduction (Income Exemption Threshold) with different tariff depending on the number of persons you have as dependents. You can also deduct interest on home loan, medical insurance, etc. Of course, all with respective rules and limits.

(b)  If you invoice your services through a company, then you are not working as such. This point is not clear to me. Are you an employee of your own company (the one which can invoice) or are you working in another organisation?

A trust is not that well appointed to engage in a commercial activity (including services).

Hi,

If you are working in Mauritius, you will have to pay taxes based on Mauritian Laws which is about 15% after the primary deductions. Depending on the amount of your income, it may be more interesting to charge your clients from here. But it is not a rule of thumb, it varies from case to case.
There are lots of close residential accommodation near la croisette but the rent is a bit more expensive than the rest of the island. Any particular reason why you want to stay in that region.
For pension and medical there are insurance companies who can offer you these services.

PM me if you require more details.

Regards
Deensh