Shipping from overseas stores

What's the best way to have items shipped to KL from online stores like Amazon? I assume regular mail is not an option.

In Singapore, the post office has a service where items are shipped to a US address, consolidated and shipped for a better price. Anything like that here?

I regularly bought from Amazon when I lived in KL. I used the normal shipping and their fast shipping and have never had any problems. Once I ordered Series of Monk and it didn't arrive within the allotted time, so I contacted Amazon and they sent a replacement. The original order did eventually arrive too a few days later and I told Amazon who told me to just keep it.

Same goes for eBay, never had a problem getting my goods from overseas.

The only problem is that some sellers do not ship to Malaysia. Now living in Indonesia it is even worse. I overcome this by having orders sent to a relative using the free shipping that often comes with placing orders in the west, and my relatives send the orders to me at a cheaper rate than I would be charged by eBay sellers. Fortunately, amazon seem to be reasonable with their shipping costs and give discounts with multiple purchases.

Thanks. That's very helpful

Just one thing - don't order anything from a seller in Palestine. There was a recent case that the item was just detroyed by local customs officials....... There are some quite strict guidelines about certain medicinal, cosmetic and similar items which are not certified in Malaysia.

Noted. Mainly thinking just US and UK

I use a package forwarding service such USGoBuy, I have everything shipped to them and they repackage it and combine packages from different vendors. It's not real cheap, my last package cost about $60 for repackaging and shipping fees. And now Malaysia wants me to email them the original invoice every time so that the post office can collect the GST. But in some cases it's because it's items I can't find in Malaysia (most clothing because I have 44" waist and very limited selection) or it's actually cheaper even with paying the shipping and GST. If you buy from Amazon and the item will ship to Malaysia (many will not) the shipping isn't much cheaper (sometimes more than a forwarding company) and they collect the GST upfront. That does make the process faster and simplifies things (don't have to send the invoice and go to post office to pay the GST).

But thus far I've received everything, but a couple of times the package sat for a week or so in customs before they asked for the invoice.

www.myus.com is another forwarding company that can accompany your request.

FYI, Amazon has just launched Prime in Singapore. I don't think they are delivering here yet, but will be in the near future. I also have no idea what products will be available from the Singapore store.