Retiring in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in the Philippines? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to the Philippines (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is the Philippines' healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in the Philippines?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I came to Palawan in the Philippines 3 yrs ago. Got an RRSV from Retirement Authority. One of the cheapest places to live on a pension. Lovely people and very crime free. Love it here.

We retired to the Philippines two years ago so my wife could be closer to her family and we could live better here on our retirement then back in the States.  We sold our home and invested it all in a house we had build in a subdivision in CDO.  It is a great home and build the way I wanted it, still wish I knew ground outlets are not normally installed.   My only problem is (don't tell my wife) is that I wish we had done as she suggested we rent for the first year before we built.  It came quite clear that visiting her family on a yearly basis is a lot different from living here, they have busy lifes and really we don't see them that much.  She got bored fast and really wished we had stay in the states so she could have stayed working.  Here if you are over 35 years old forget about getting a job in a store or almost anywhere.  I offered to fund a small shop of some type but does not have the desire to run a business, she just wants to work.  If you want to retire in the philippines make sure if your married that both of you want to retire.  The cost of living here is great and since we own our home my monthy costs for electric, water, cable TV, homeownders fee and fiberoptic internet runs me about $350.00 a month.

misplaced wrote:

We retired to the Philippines two years ago so my wife could be closer to her family and we could live better here on our retirement then back in the States.  We sold our home and invested it all in a house we had build in a subdivision in CDO.  It is a great home and build the way I wanted it, still wish I knew ground outlets are not normally installed.   My only problem is (don't tell my wife) is that I wish we had done as she suggested we rent for the first year before we built.  It came quite clear that visiting her family on a yearly basis is a lot different from living here, they have busy lifes and really we don't see them that much.  She got bored fast and really wished we had stay in the states so she could have stayed working.  Here if you are over 35 years old forget about getting a job in a store or almost anywhere.  I offered to fund a small shop of some type but does not have the desire to run a business, she just wants to work.  If you want to retire in the philippines make sure if your married that both of you want to retire.  The cost of living here is great and since we own our home my monthy costs for electric, water, cable TV, homeownders fee and fiberoptic internet runs me about $350.00 a month.

HI just want to confirm that your monthy costs for electric, water, cable TV, homeownders fee and fiberoptic internet runs me about $350.00 a month, it seems like a lot?

The fiber optic internet is high because I took a expensive plan, prices have come down since I signed a two year contract for 100Mbps (http://pldthome.com/fibr).  My electic is high I guess but I run an A/C in my office where my computer is 24/7.  We do use A/C in bedroom at night and have two split A/C on  when needed.  It does equal out to my electric bill that I use to have back in Florida where I had a heat pump for the house.  The cable TV is really up to you since you can pick your price plan on how many channel you want.  All in all I

Hi every one
Retiree visa is good.Pay 10000us$ one time.But 360 Us$ pay every year for annual report .It is high price. if pay 310 pesos every year for annual report than it is good.
I m living marriage visa TRV. Pay  for living  one year 8000 pesos and 310 yearly annual report.It is also high but less than retiree visa

iftikhar_peeto, you forgot to take into account the cost of being married. LOL

As a retiree from the US with a small pension and a small Social Security payment each month, my guaranteed monthly income is about $1,850.USD. I do a little online work sporadically, which can bring my monthly income up from that, so I don't sweat it when it comes to finances - meaning I don't feel like I have to be on a super-tight and confining budget.

I don't want to be tied down to just one area in a country either or even tied down to one country, so I will not buy a condo. This way I don't pay any utilities, property taxes, homeowner assoc. fees, legal fees or any of that.

If I want to move from Cebu City to Iloilo, I can do so easily. If I want to go stay in Cambodia to do some volunteer work in Siem Reap, I can do so and stay in SR very, very cheaply for as long as I want, and then return to the Philippines and maybe stay in a different area than the one I left.

That to me is the best option: FREEDOM - to be totally unencumbered and free to move around and enjoy a change of scenery whenever the mood strikes! I have been living this way since mid-2011 and have NEVER regretted my decision!

As for me,I was looking to relocate to Philippines. However after doing research about the many foreigners in Prison there,I have now decided not to. As even if one is driving or riding a motorbike,you can get accused of killing or hitting a Filipino and end up in Prison.
If you like to read about some of these cases,look at "Voices From a Box",they can be found on Facebook or Google them!

Voices From a Box tells the truth that many expats don't want to believe.

I myself have been doing the sums on Brit retiring to the Philippines and my conclusion is its a NO GO.  Considering that I get 80% housing and council tax benefit here (so near rent free for a 45 SqM 1 bed apartment), free bus travel, winter fuel allowance  and local knowledge keeping food etc stuffs prices down, leaving my state pension and small private pension to live on. In Philippines I would have to pay full housing costs and hugely expensive health insurance (age, diabetic and COPD -  quotes would take all my monthly pension). SO I would be broke in the Philippines unless I skipped health insurance and suffered the consequences.

Would love to retire to a sunny paradise , but old blighty does try to look after its elderly (even though state pensions are the lowest in the western world- but the benefits compensate).

For me its paradise lost in my retirement - but I still have top class football and cricket to watch for entertainment

Most of the Philippines is a poverty stricken 3rd World Country, not a paradise.

you right thebold, i feel the same about it here, I think most need to ask them selfs what is so special here?? but please do not say Woman, then it will sound cheap,

coz in the philippines, everythng is cheap

@pej1111 It's just an average monthly bill especially if you availed the most expensive plan depends on your needs or how many devices are being connected on your network. As for me I purchase 50MB plan for my wifi  and pay just 1,200 pesos a month.

Welcome to the forum, Techtalk. The last post in this thread was six years ago, and pej1111 is long gone, but thank you for the information. You are welcome to post an intro in the New Members thread at the top of the main page.

@samangelevski

my wifes home country. im just gonna retire there and enjoy some relaxing years.

I myself have been doing the sums on Brit retiring to the Philippines and my conclusion is its a NO GO.  Considering that I get 80% housing and council tax benefit here (so near rent free for a 45 SqM 1 bed apartment), free bus travel, winter fuel allowance  and local knowledge keeping food etc stuffs prices down, leaving my state pension and small private pension to live on. In Philippines I would have to pay full housing costs and hugely expensive health insurance (age, diabetic and COPD -  quotes would take all my monthly pension). SO I would be broke in the Philippines unless I skipped health insurance and suffered the consequences.Would love to retire to a sunny paradise , but old blighty does try to look after its elderly (even though state pensions are the lowest in the western world- but the benefits compensate).For me its paradise lost in my retirement - but I still have top class football and cricket to watch for entertainment        -@kilgore99

You can also add free dental care, and prescriptions to your list so I can see where you are coming from when you reach retirement age. The NHS her is a godsend also.

@samangelevski
my wifes home country. im just gonna retire there and enjoy some relaxing years.

-@Gregsdigitalpics

Don't forget your earplugs Greg

I wont lol. been married 8 years so pretty much used to the noise pollution. but yea the motors and the roosters sre gonna be a bitch lol

I wont lol. been married 8 years so pretty much used to the noise pollution. but yea the motors and the roosters sre gonna be a bitch lol

-@Gregsdigitalpics

And the karaoke and the dogs but I grew up in a family of 8 and was always used to noise. You simply ignore it.

I have all that here in the states.  karaoke parties for any reason at all, kids loud, dog barking. i have amazing earplugs!

I have all that here in the states.  karaoke parties for any reason at all, kids loud, dog barking. i have amazing earplugs!

-@Gregsdigitalpics

Excellent. That is the way to come here, just accept it. People who cannot accept it will be unhappy and often complain, even on these threads. If it were up to them, they would change the noisy culture more to their liking but alas, no way. They should not come here as the rest homes where they come from are much more boring and quieter and I suppose more suitable to their lifestyles.

I have all that here in the states.  karaoke parties for any reason at all, kids loud, dog barking. i have amazing earplugs!        -@Gregsdigitalpics
Excellent. That is the way to come here, just accept it. People who cannot accept it will be unhappy and often complain, even on these threads. If it were up to them, they would change the noisy culture more to their liking but alas, no way. They should not come here as the rest homes where they come from are much more boring and quieter and I suppose more suitable to their lifestyles.
        -@danfinn

When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable, it is designed to make its own people comfortable.”      Clifton Fadiman

I have learned that to be true in 26 different countries, but having spent several months in the Philippines as well as being married to two different filipinas and their families for a combined 15 years, its not as if I'm getting into something I'm not somewhat accustomed to. I'm very much looking forward to exiting stage left from the rat race and just chill. i will add that i also have a couple of life long friends living very near where we plan to settle, they're already set up, bought property,  built a beautiful home and are living very comfortably on their social security. our finances are in good shape, we have family and friends there, we have a plan for  a strong business, and our kids are very much looking forward to the adventure.

Excellent. That is the way to come here, just accept it. People who cannot accept it will be unhappy and often complain, even on these threads. If it were up to them, they would change the noisy culture more to their liking but alas, no way. They should not come here as the rest homes where they come from are much more boring and quieter and I suppose more suitable to their lifestyles.        -@danfinn

“When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable, it is designed to make its own people comfortable.”      Clifton Fadiman

-@Aidan in HCMC

Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.

Zig Ziglar