Retiring in Oman

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Oman? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Oman (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Oman's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Oman?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Tip: in MOST of the cases, u wont get anything after retiring in Oman and healthcare is a disaster.

For the majority of the expatriates, retiring in Oman is not a possibility and is not even an option for consideration.

This is for the simple reason that once the employment contract gets over, they have to move out of the country, lock, stock and barrel.

They just cannot stay back without an employment visa. And there are no other long-term visas available.

The exception to this rule is, if an expatriate is holding an 'Investor' visa, then the holder of that visa can stay in Oman, but only as long as they are able to furnish proof of their income.

So no expatriate can stay forever in the Sultanate, much as many would like to do so.

Good Morning :)
No still not.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Oman? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Oman (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Oman's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Oman?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Frankly speaking, not yet thought of a retiring plan so far. Cause ... not tired so far N thus not yet retired.
But this is an agenda for future.

Why u r interested in this topic u looks young...  :unsure

Retiring in Oman not an option for expats. Unless you invest hundred thousands in freehold property and more for health insurance. Not recommended.

I am not that much old that i should retire.

I haven't retired in lovely Oman. Tragically, I think the country may be heading to hell in a handbasket, if SQU is any indication. I would love to visit, even stay for several weeks, but when HMSQ passes away one day, it will be everyone out for themselves. And with Western expats leaving by the hundreds already, it's uncertain how the country will continue to be run. ("Omanisation" is mostly just on paper for the private sector.......from what I hear from company directors there, including Shell. It may prove to be a giant blessing for subcontinent and Southeast Asian citizens to fill in the voids, but I wonder if they'll be paid a fraction of what they should be.)
Health care is hit-and-miss: some truly OUTSTANDING and some disastrous. (But the W.H.O. lists Oman as NUMBER ONE in the world for medical access! All those little clinics all over make medical access available to so MANY!)
And the Gulf states are starting to be unstable......with their fighting Qatar/Iran and Oman's dependence on Iran. it all breaks my heart. I fear for the aftermath of the loss of their great leader.