Retiring in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Dominican Republic? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to the Dominican Republic (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is the Dominican Republic's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Dominican Republic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Good day, Yes I retired from the United States about three years ago. I am a retired police officer from New York and New Jersey area. I was assigned to the World Trade Center and went though both terrorists attacks. I have a few medical issues because of the attacks. So I needed a change in my life. I love the weather here in the Dominican Republic, but is has been very hot this summer. I find living is good, food if you buy American can be very expensive. However you can do pretty well with rent or buying property. Labor is very cheap but gas is very high. Over all the plus beat out the minus to me, every time. To do something positive living here, I started a non-profit organization called the We Are Blessed Children's Foundation to help underprivileged children of the Dominican Republic and other Caribbean countries. So that keeps me busy and it is very rewarding. That is my story.

That's wonderfuel. Thank you Tony B 764 for sharing your story.

Beautiful people, very reasonable cost of living, NO SNOW fantastic year round beaches with nobody around on weekdays. Easy banking, no snow, fresh fruit & veggies, very tough beef, great pork & chicken.
Did I mention no smow? yes. Low crime here.

Tom, full time in Cabrera now 7 years with my beautiful wife.

I am not retired and wont likely any time soon!!!

Retirees qualify for residencia here based on pension income. Makes it easy.

Health insurance is reasonable and available. Health care is anywhere from okay to really good depending where you go as long as you have insurance or money!

I retired here for the following
NO SNOW
Cheaper cost of living
Very nice people
relaxed lifestyle.
I have not looked back for a nano second

Bob K

I agree 100% with you. Three years and counting. God willing it will be a lot of years to add to that.

You very welcome God bless

What part of the Dominican Republic did you settled at?

If you are asking me, Cabrera, on the North Coast.
Tom.

For me on the north coast as well between Sosua and Cabarete

Bob K

I wonder if any branch of our glorious Government
has any actual numbers of Xpats locations?
It would seem like the North Coast is preferred
by most of us.
Tom.

"I am of the universe and you know what it's worth. " - Just for fun anyone know who said this? Anyway I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on how much is needed monthly  to live comfortably  retiring in DR.

Tony - I'm interested in the Non-Profit element. I have a Delaware registered non-Profit incorporated biz (Hero's Haven Inc (web page) and Hero's Haven - Veterans Serving Veterans (facebook) and I am thinking that I will start this up in DR on a smaller scale than planned in the USA and for a fraction of the cost. However, the element making it a Non-Profit there didn't really rise until I read your post. It may be a non-player but it is something I'd like to know more about.

Brian

What part of the Dominican Republic did you settle at?

Wow!! If it ever becomes a reality.. and you need help, let me know!! I am also a veteran and will be living in the DR!!!

I am working on this move. I have a lady friend to whom I was introduced to by her sister who lives and works here in Red Deer Alberta. I am learning Spanish, something I really didn't try very hard to do even though my neighbors in Glendale AZ are Hispanic. I am a retired Veteran, single since 2009 and divorced, with a plan for business in the DR once the personal side of things are settled. The cost of living and all the good things folks have mentioned are a draw. I will be finding out what life around Moca is like near the end of Sep. I have a feeling that my move there may be expedited whether things work out on the personal side or not. I see no negatives to this move......just need patience and understanding plus follow some of the great advice found in here.....

Thanks for your offer. I am doing a big Christmas Dinner for the children and poor families in the Sosua area. God has blessed me many times over, so I am giving back. Also an even bigger charity event in Puerto Plata in Feb. We Are Blessed Children's Foundation are going to try to change some children's lives for the better. God bless.

2VP there is a vets services organization here. You should touch base with them!

Yes they are really good!! I used them when I got sick! I went to their office in Santo Domingo!

Okay Great!!! That is one thing about being a veteran we are not scared on making moves!! We are so use to of the unknown!!' My husband is Dominican and lives in the DR. I am looking to move there in sept. My only thing is what will I do to keep myself busy!!! I don't speak Spanish and he lives in a strictly Spanish town..Hopefully I can figure that piece out soon!  I wish you the best of luck on your move to the DR!!

What a wonderful way to continue serving those in need. Thank you for your service.

That sounds fantastic. I will be relocating to DR soon and as a fellow veteran, I would love the opportunity to help other  vets. I am extremely interested. Please let me know if/when you get it up and running.

Sandra

Really - once I know how and where I most certainly will.....

Okay - if there are any expat Veterans out there who belong to any Veterans group in DR please contact me or have someone you know that belongs to such a group contact me either here or at : XXX - thanks very much!

Moderated by Julien 6 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Again - please do not post emails and or phone numbers on open forums.

Google vets association dominican republic

Do you all have pensions or are some of you working for American companies and living in the Dominican Republic? I work from home but the concern is future employment working for American companies if something were to happen to my job before selling home and completely changing life to DR.

I work here. Many are truly retired.

I am truly retired.  I receive a pension.

Do you still have to pay U.S. federal taxes on your pension when living in the Dominican Republic?

Yes you do

I would assume so.  I don't live in the Dominican Republic yet but when I do I think I will still have to

Yes as a US citizen you still have to file and pay US taxes no matter where you reside

Bob K

I just want to highlight that there is a difference between filing taxes, and paying taxes. As a US citizen you are required to file taxes. But, paying taxes will depend on your gross income, marital status and other deductions. For a single person, if your income is below 16,000.00, you would pay 0. It's 32000.00 for couple.

In addition, if you maintain a residency status in the US, some states may tax your SS income and your pension. The residency  rules vary by states. For example, just having a valid driver's license in a state makes you a resident, therefore you have to file state tax.

Man!! Excellent info. Thanks

I heard to get temp residency a pension and or income from rental properties can work. Do you think disability is accepted as a pension ?

If you have a permanent disability, I believe it's considered as Social Security. It automatically switches to SS at FRA.

Comfortable Climate
Low Cost of Living
High Standard of Living
Active Lifestyle
Safe Environment
Hurricane Resistance
Health Care
Community Work

Disability payments no higher than the SS. Checked it out when started to lose my sight. Therefore did not apply. Don't have to prove that I'm getting older, but would have to prove periodically that my sight was still gone.

Hello Tony,
Do you live in the Sosua/Cabrete area?  Is there where your foundation is?  My husband and I are thinking about moving to that area.  We are relocating to the DR in December 2019.  We will be taking a year off to do nothing  :) But after that we need to find jobs. In your opinion, do you think this would be a good area or should we think about Santo Domingo or Punta Cana?