Viet Visas

Hey guys,

I am hoping someone can shed some light on something I just thought of.

I am planning on heading to Vietnam in a few months time to teach English in Hanoi.  I have read many tales of people spending from 6 months plus out there teaching and many tales that despite the rules stating they must move to Business Visas, they never ended up doing so for one reason or another.

However, I have just learned that a 3 month visa can only be extended by one month the first time, and 10 days the second time. Then that's it. That totals just over 4 months. How do people manage to stay so long? Or is just a case that you HAVE to end up on the business visa sooner or later before you can stay for longer.

Secondly, my partner will be coming with me. Once I eventually do reach the business visa application process, is it relatively simple to add her as a de facto type?

Thanks for your help.

Hi proevolutionspeller,

Welcome to Expat-bog! :)

I hope other members will be able advise you on your query. Otherwise you may have a look at the "Life in Vietnam" guide -Visas section.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Get a 3 month visa on arrival, business visa, multiple entry ($50 at airport plus $45 fee). You can renew this visa up to 3 times, totalling 12 months. When you get a job here you should get an employment contract. Then you can easily get a work permit and resident visa for the total duration of your employment contract. For teaching you must have a degree verified by your Embassy here.

Thanks for the info Greengecko.

However, I thought it was not possible to obtain a business visa without a job offer first?

I have already applied for the tourist visa and I guess shall just wait until I arrive to see what my next move can be.

Does anyone know about de facto though?

"Does anyone know about de facto though?"

Ain't going to happen guy sorry, you both need a visa.

proevolutionspeller wrote:

Thanks for the info Greengecko.

However, I thought it was not possible to obtain a business visa without a job offer first?

I have already applied for the tourist visa and I guess shall just wait until I arrive to see what my next move can be.

Does anyone know about de facto though?

SO SORRY to know that THAT YOU ASKED FOR A TOURIST VISA.
You should apply it online for 3 months and we can extend another 3 months as well.

Anyway, when U arrive here, s.o can help you with another visa enough for 6 months.

Hello Proevolutionspeller,

Those 3 months tourist visas will do.  And extensions will be issued to you 3 months at a time, for up to 3 times.  That is a year, just like Greengecko had mentioned.

After that, you can go over to one of the neighboring countries for a day or two and apply for another tourist visa upon returning.

Working or business visas, that all depends your employer here.  The employer will provide you with the necessary documents for those visas.  Many employers here would take care of all of that for their employees.

Yup, forget about adding your partner onto your visa.  Even children must get their own visas here.  It is a case by case thing.

Best of luck.