Believe the news or not

Family here at home in CA are concerned about our move,  especially with what the news shows about demonstrators etc..

Has anyone had any problems with pro Independence Party people ?

Other than some mild annoyances on local facebook pages, Nope!

I had a few guys be rude to me (one was actually a gringo and a communist - he had some role in running the Vieques "museum", which was (is still?) really a small shrine to Castro.

That was it over a period of nearly 20 years visiting the island, including several living there.

Nope, never had politics enter into any interaction in 10 years.
Maybe I'm oblivious, but it's never been an issue.  Some of my friends ridicule the demonstrations, some join them, but it all seems to be less than 100% serious & with an eye towards respect for others and having a good time.

I talked to some locals about it, and the response I got was something like "there's a group -- the same bunch of folks -- who demonstrate about anything, like it's their job, or something. Pay it no atention"

lgustaf wrote:

I talked to some locals about it, and the response I got was something like "there's a group -- the same bunch of folks -- who demonstrate about anything, like it's their job, or something. Pay it no atention"

That's pretty much they way most of us see it. We have a say in PR.... "Si se lo meten grita y si se lo sacan llora" cannot please them at all.

Sorry to those it may offend  :cool:

Jyee wrote:

Family here at home in CA are concerned about our move,  especially with what the news shows about demonstrators etc..

Has anyone had any problems with pro Independence Party people ?

Not one problem with them, besides most of the demonstrations are in Hato Rey, some of the landfills and in Old San Juan around the Capitolio. Most demonstrations are peaceful but noisy and can interfere with traffic specially around a landfill.

Fear not
Relax

This is not Venezuela.

PS. I am Independentista.

learning the history of the island Im Pro Independence however if statehood it was i wouldn't be angry either

Although politics is always a reason for heated discussions, violence is hardly involved.
This would be the least of my worries when thinking of moving to the island. :)

There's enough other stuff to worry about, most related to the deplorable state of the governmental finances which is causing and will cause more and more problems over years to come. If I wouldn't be here and have my life on the island established I would absolutely not even consider to move to PR at this time.